Re Zero Volume 4 week 1

Re Zero Volume 4 Week 1

Re Zero Home Thread

Start Date: January 20, 2020
Previous Chapter: none
Next Chapter: Re Zero Volume 4 week 2

Week 1 Reading: Till end of chapter 1

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for Re Zero!

Reading aloud

Time: Saturday 10 PM(Japan), 8AM(USA), 3PM Europe.

Discord link : https://discord.gg/AG5rnd

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle_vin:
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I already read that part

0 voters

2 Likes

I couldn’t find the floflo page for the vocab. Does someone have it because I believe there is none.

Is there a “I’m gonna read it eventually, but I still need to finish Volume 2” option? :sob:

6 Likes

Better ask @Raionus, but I also think there’s none yet.
Edit: from floflo itself:

I haven’t been uploading new books while working on the new site. Once the recode is available publicly I will catch up on book uploads and Patreon stuff.

1 Like

Yeah sure, next time I update books on the site

3 Likes

I had some question for this week reading.

this is at the begining of chapter 1 when Subaru and Emilia are talking.
1-いや、今のは狙ってやったわけじゃなくて……つか、やってないならエミリアたんの方が百倍卑怯だろ。どう足掻いても惚れ直すっつの
no, this time it wasn’t the person targeted, in fact Emlia who don’t do it should be a hundred time more scared. No mater how much struggle, I will make you fall in love me me again.

my biggest problem is やったわけじゃなくて and やってないなら
the やった/やって probably come from the verb やる which is to do.
やった = past
わけ = ??? (must maybe)
じゃな = negative
くて link the rest of the sentence.

beginning of part 3
2-思惑を外されて熱くなるでもなく、考えを見透かされても悪びれるどころか開き直る。──相手が相手なら、不興を買う損な性格ですな」
contrary to expectation, it’s not that you are heated, to think about been seen through can open to evil. The partner been the partner, you buy dipleasure and damage the caracter.
yeah it makes no sense I know.
思惑 = expectation
熱く = heat
見透かす = to see through
されて= passive form
相手 = partner
不興= displeasure
買う = to buy
損= damage
性格= caracter

the last one is beginning of part 6
3-時間にルーズな奴はパンツのゴムまでルーズだぜ、なあ、レム
this question is slightly different. it’s not that I can’t translate it, it’s that I don’t understand the expression. “The one who makes the other lose time will lose the rubber of their pants”
I’m sure it means to not be late but I’m not sure were that comes from.

Thanks for the help

It seems you’re not familiar with the わけじゃない construction. It’s a light way of denying something. 狙ってやったたわけじゃない = It’s not like I (or whoever is the subject) did it on purpose (lit. aiming to do it) . If you use 狙って + verb, the meaning is “to do … on purpose”.

The 卑怯 isn’t “scared”, it’s more like “unfair”, in the sense of “using underhanded means to achieve something”

思惑を外されて - the verb 外す here is in the passive, but it’s the “something unfortunate happened” kind of passive. Kind of like “Having their expectation betrayed” in the sense of “their assumption turned out to be wrong”
熱くなるでもなく - 熱い can refer to someone’s temper, so 熱くなる is a bit like “getting angry”, so, maybe something like “not losing your temper when your assumption turned out to be wrong”?
考えを見透かされても - “even if your thoughts/intentions/etc were seen through”
悪びれるどころか - 悪びれる is “to be timid/shy” and どころか is something like “not only…” so, “not only does he/she not get timid”
開き直る - “to become defiant”
Overall the feeling I get is “It’s not that he/she gets hot tempered when his/her expectations miss the mark, when his/her intentions are seen through, not only does he/she not lose his/her nerve, he/she becomes defiant instead” (loosely translated, Japanese is hard :expressionless:)

相手が相手なら - not sure who this 相手 here is, but I’m getting a sense they’re talking about a second party, something like “The enemy/other party/etc being who he/she is” meaning something like “considering what kind of person the 相手 is”… hard to tell
不興を買う - this is a set phrase meaning “to fall into disgrace with, to incur someone’s displeasure”, basically, “doing something to upset or anger someone”.
損な性格 - 損 is usually a word meaning “loss, damage, harm, unprofitable, disadvantage, handicap, drawback, unfavorable” basically something that’s not profitable for you, or that causes you discomfort, displeasure, financial losses, wasting time. It can be used to basically refer to situations that are not in your favor. Seeing it used like a な adjective like this is a bit weird, but it describes the kind of personality that leads someone to misfortune in the way I mentioned above.

ルーズ isn’t “lose”, it’s “loose”. It’s used to refer to someone who doesn’t really care about rules & stuff, like “carefree”, “slacker” etc. Mind you, I have no idea what the context is cause I’m way behind, but the idea of the sentence you linked seems to be a bit like “Someone who’s so loose with their time (was someone late for 3 hours or something?), even the rubber band on his underwear is loose”, or so I think.

5 Likes

I wrote a wall of text to describe better the process of breaking down these sentences. I noticed that you are missing a lot of set phrases like 悪びれる, or 不興を買う, or words like 卑怯 where you try to guess the meaning of the whole word by looking at individual kanji meaning (this often fails btw).

I think you should get used to looking up bigger phrases in the dictionary, oftentimes there are a lot of set expressions that are used in these books. Like in book 2, the phrase 足を向けて寝られない which makes no sense on its own (in my opinion), “can’t point your feet and sleep”, but has the set meaning of “owing a lot to somebody, being indebted, never forgetting someone who has done a favor”.

I noticed that this author likes to use a lot of expressions like these, so it’s better to search for the whole phrase when in doubt.

Sigh, I really should find a way to make time for more reading, it’s hard being left behind :frowning_face:

7 Likes

Thanks for you help even though you are busy

1 Like

It’s a slow week at work so it’s not that bad :slight_smile: Browsing the forums on the company’s time is one of my hobbies.

Also, the only thing I’m busy with is unimportant stuff like playing games, watching anime, and reading manga/LNs. The problem is I try to do as much as I can on all of those but end up falling behind on everything. I have a lot of weekly ongoing manga that I’m trying to read, but I’m behind on all of them, I’ve started 3 LN series, a VN, and I’m also trying to catch up on my “plan to watch” anime list. If only I didn’t need to sleep maybe I’d be on top of it.

5 Likes

Explaining this since I just reached it so I know the context:

Wilhelm noticing Subaru’s personality:

“Even when things go contrary to your expectations, you don’t get riled up, and when your thoughts are seen through, far from getting embarrassed, you become more defiant… Depending on the person, yours might be a losing personality that’ll incur that person’s displeasure.”

相手が相手なら means “depending on the person” in this context. A similar one is 相手が相手だから which means “because it’s him/her…, [then …]”.

1 Like

I know what you mean, but this sounds like something else entirely in English. :joy:
I would say “a disadvantageous personality”. Even though it’s still not good English, at least there’s no risk of being misunderstood.

4 Likes

Volume 4 word list is up on Floflo

4 Likes

Yeah I just read that :joy:

3 Likes

Updated the OP.

Btw how do you create these lists? did you just read it all and picked some words or you just use a program to search for the word by frequency? It was pretty fast.

Mecab + magic

Trust me man, my skill would be in a whole other dimension if I actually went through 200 books

4 Likes

Just finished this week’s reading. Rem has changed since we last saw her (in a good way). She is more open/kind and has grown quite attached to Subaru. I think being consoled by Subaru really helped. Also, Ferris is funny. She really took Subaru off guard with her flirting. He then thought “she’s going to be my greatest enemy” or something along those lines :sweat_smile: I was glad to see that it’s possible for Subaru to regain his magic again too. It’s been so long since I’ve seen the anime that I’ve forgotten some things. :sweat_smile:

Also, in regards to the reading aloud, I’ve been thinking it would be fine if it were only two of us. There are so few of us reading aloud as it is and can’t always get 3+ people.

3 Likes

Yes! It’s so nice to see that change. Something interesting: a few weeks (I think, at least a few days) have passed since the ending of volume 3 and the start of volume 4, in which Subaru was living happily in the mansion. The OVAs and some side stories take place in this time frame.

Will definitely try to join this week! :confounded:

3 Likes

I realised that during the moment when Subaru and Wilhelm are speaking, Subaru does not wear the same cloths depending on the anime or the book. If I remember correctly in the anime he have his uniform and in the book he have his Jersey uniform. In uniform was damaged so he couldn’t wear it. That also explain why Wilhelm do no thought at first that Subaru was a servant of the mansion.

Just a small details like that

5 Likes

Next week is up

1 Like