Race to the Cake 🍰

@ozlemdemir why you no update? :frowning:
I always think I’m ahead of you but I don’t ever know for sure…

1 Like

He was already level 15 some days ago I think.

I was also already level 15 some days ago.

Okay xd now I’m excited :joy::joy::joy: who was faster :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Thank you, I completely forgot updating, I was busy being too happy to be level 15 :laughing: From now on I’ll try to be more careful.

*She

It has been 1 day and 18 hours ago as of now, I checked my statistics, so who is faster? It is probably @Momoiro because your average level up time is shorter than mine.

1 Like

Sorry Mam :astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::bowing_man::bowing_man::bowing_man:

1 Like

Don’t worry, I guess I never specified here so no problem :wink:

btw… are you male or female?
i was always thinking that you are female. i’m right? XDDDDDDD lol

Hi, friends! I have a question for anyone, but maybe more specifically for anyone around Level 26~28…
I learned 捕える (とらえる) a little later than the other forms using the 捕 kanji, and I swear that one of the meanings that was listed was “to grasp a concept” or “to grasp an idea.” I can’t find the vocabulary anymore, in my queue or when I search for it. Anyone know which vocabulary/word I’m thinking of? Can 捕える be used for “to grasp an idea/concept”?

1 Like

it looks like there’s a different kanji (same reading) 捉える (とらえる)to grasp (the meaning)

it also has 「意味を捉える」 as an entry (to grasp the meaning)

(links to jisho.org)

1 Like

That’s really weird. I specifically remember using “to grasp an idea” as the definition for that one. Sometimes the folks at WK will remove or add synonyms to a word which can be kind of annoying and potentially turn it into a leech.

Like, “障る” is “To Irritate”, but I could’ve sworn it was just plain old “to hinder” at one point since the kanji is for “hinder”. Maybe I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Burning it in 9 days and I had no idea of the change of meaning lol.

3 Likes

@LogicalFallacy @jprspereira
I would add “to hinder” as a synonym. Not just Jisho, but just reading the word several times in context has basically confirmed “to hinder” is a perfectly fine meaning as well as “to irritate”

4 Likes

I very recently contacted WaniKani about this issue, because the example sentence for 捕える did not match the meaning of “to grasp a concept”. They answered me by saying that there was a mistake and 捕える just meant “to catch” (transitive, in contrast to the intransitive 捕まる- “to be caught”). They might have corrected it very recently.

1 Like

Ooh, I see. I imagine that’s what it was, just wanted to see if anyone would clarify and let us know. Yeah, considering it was emphasized in the meaning section, I guessed it was removed fairly recently.
So, for this sentence, this would make sense…? (Will ask my Japanese coworkers later and update…)
今日のレクチャーを何となく捕まれた。

(I found it hard to think of an example in which you can’t substitute for 分かるor 分かってきた…)

As far as I understand, 捕える does NOT have the meaning of understanding/grasping a concept (since this was a mistake). It means catching in a more concrete sense, such as a cat catching a mouse. So I would think that your example sentence is not correct, but better double check with somebody more knowledgeable.

Same here! I was too excited and forgot to update for the first time ever. As of right now, I have been on this level for 4 days 13 hours. I did waste 16 hours today, so… that’s a shame hahaha

1 Like

Level up!

I got rid of my speed because I think what I had before was just the default on wkstats since I’m excluding all the days I’ve actually completed. If I include even the lowest one my average goes up to 14 days and with all of them it’s 373 days and 17 hours. So yeah, my graph is a little skewed and not an accurate representation of my current speed, but next time I level up I will pay more attention to how long it takes and get a better estimation.

2 Likes

@chiasa They took the meaning out within the last week. I keep getting these ones that they are changing wrong and not realizing the reason until it’s too late to fix. Kind of annoying, but good for learning I guess.

Jisho still kind of has “to grasp a concept” under the meanings, but maybe that’s technically for the other kanji?

yeah, i think that’s for the other kanji, it this one is listed as another form on that entry…

although!

なんであれ物事の本体を捕らえる事が肝心だ。
No matter what the problem is, it’s essential to get at the heart of the matter.

in this example, they use that kanji…