One Piece Manga Reading Club 🏴‍☠ (Currently Reading: Vol 1)

Sounds pretty spot on. Usually there’s also a running spreadsheet where members can add vocabulary for people to reference.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks. Besides that, how exactly do we communicate? Do we use this thread or any specific tool?

Usually there is a new discussion thread per volume or week

2 Likes

muahahaha, after i thought fedex would let me down and deliver not today but next week i was already bummed out - but tada! :partying_face:

absolute superb condition. i almost can’t believe they are secondhand and somebody already read them :thinking: must’ve been very careful with the page turning or it really was just reselling. in the end i did pay almost the full japanese price per volume, so i expected them to be in good shape :+1:

14 Likes

B-beautiful :sob: :sob: :sob: :pirate_flag: :anchor:

2 Likes

It seems Bookwalker gave away the first volume of One Piece I think I will join this club.

1 Like

man, i can’t wait to start reading with you all now that i have this gigantic collection sitting in my living room! :smile: :pirate_flag: still happy everytime i walk by :laughing:

i’ve read the english manga twice, watched the anime at least three times (yeah, i’ve had a lot of spare time in various stages of my life) and above all that love to watch reviews and insights for the series on youtube. so despite knowing the story in and out and ov-er the top! i’m still excited to finally read the original real thing :grinning:

since i consumed all that, uhm, like a pirate :pirate_flag: that also contextualizes why i was happy to finally buy the all the volumes despite the considerable amount of money. 大ファンですよ

3 Likes

At one chapter a week it’s only going to take you 19 years to finish your collection

9 Likes

hmm. trying to relive the truest form of the original experience? then it’d need to take a one-week-break increasingly as well :thinking: i guess i’ll start with book club pace and increase it when i feel like it.

although - i do know the story and i’m not in a hurry :rofl:

5 Likes

No break for the first three years or so!

5 Likes

Just about a week until we start! I saw @Pedrexus asked about how discussions work. We’ll set this up similar to the よつばと! club’s format that way the list of threads doesn’t get unwieldy if we end up doing a bunch of volumes. So one thread per volume (I’ll open the thread for Volume 1 up next week), and then we can link to the place in the thread where the discussion starts for each new chapter. We can also set up a vocab spreadsheet in Google Docs like some of the other bookclubs do as well.

Here’s the schedule:

|Start Date|Reading|
| — | — | — |
|September 2|Chapter 1 (pg 5 - 25)||
|September 9|Chapter 1 (pg 25 - 57)||
|September 16|Chapter 2||
|September 23|Chapter 3||
|September 30|Chapter 4||
|October 7|Chapter 5||
|October 14|Chapter 6||
|October 21|Chapter 7||
|October 28|Chapter 8||

I split Chapter 1 up into two halves since it’s nearly double the length of the rest of the chapters, and that way it will give people a chance to ease into it. The page split is based on a reasonable stopping point, so it doesn’t just stop in the middle of a scene or something. :laughing:

(Also @ghostofshikaji I am so jealous of your collection :sob: One day… )

5 Likes

The Volume 1 Discussion Thread is now available! It’s a bit early for some of us and already Wednesday for others, so I figured I would at least open it if anyone wants to get started. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hm. Maybe I can join in. Haven’t had a wealth of time as of late, but as long as I’m not as methodical as I am with the Kiki’s Delivery Service Thread (Reading a few pages every night without looking anything up, then rereading the next day, looking anything up I don’t understand, asking questions about anything that still confuses me), I can probably knock out the reading for each chapter in a day or two.

1 Like

Is anyone else having trouble reading it on the Shonen Jump website? I find the writing too small and I can’t find a way to enlarge it, please let me know if I’m being stupid and missing something obvious.

I have a physical copy at home, but it’ll be hard to pretend I’m working with that on my desk :laughing: Is the e-book available (legally of course) through any other source? Amazon.jp seems to have figured out I’m not in Japan and I can’t find it on Bookwalker.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Here it is: https://bookwalker.jp/debfec8cda-fee8-4554-92a7-ec744c390d8a/

There’s also the full color version if you’d rather want that: https://bookwalker.jp/de80c6cccb-d0a4-4fcb-95a4-5ce52f2dd5f4/

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Are you guys gonna do book 2 as well? Has the club fizzled out?

I believe it stopped at chapter 3. OP didn’t want to let it die, but they also didn’t attempt to keep it alive image

1 Like

@ghostofshikaji How’s it going?

veeeeery slow :eyes: occasionally i’ll read a page or two but it takes all out of me :sweat_smile: sadly, a book club with my pace makes no sense - but of course i’m not gonna let my purchase be just decorative :smile:

3 Likes