NSFW mode?

Are there any scripts available that would allow me to stop the NSFW reviews coming up? I work with children and Japanese speakers, and during my free time I like to do my reviews at work, its a little embarrassing when some NSFW words are emblazoned on my laptop screen.

12 Likes

Nope!

14 Likes

I second this!! I was showing a Japanese colleague the wonders of Wanikani when 乱交 popped up, followed shortly by 金玉 :tired_face:

I’m always nervous to do my reviews on the train for the same reason.

9 Likes

I’m building my own WaniKani! With blackjack and hookers!

44 Likes

Says the one in sect 金玉.

12 Likes

I’m having deja vu here…

…am I in the Matrix?

1 Like

totally agree. feel really unpleasant about vulgar examples and mnemonics too.

2 Likes

If they know you know they’ll kill you. pretend like everything is normal.

3 Likes

I posted something like this a while back, but I totally agree. The orgy one is totally unnecessary.

Here is the link to my thread, haha.

Really not appreciating the condescension. I am in no way whatsoever an uptight person. If you wouldn’t discuss it with a teenager, then it shouldn’t be included and YOU can look it up by yourself. I’m sorry, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable discussing orgies with teenagers.

Again, REALLY not appreciating the condescension. And you, Syphus, are clearly someone who likes to argue.

7 Likes

It’s not though, it reinforces the kanji.

13 Likes

You know, it would’ve been a much shorter movie had they just killed Neo in the beginning.

1 Like

To think that the Japanese had the audacity to include a word meaning orgy in their language. Any upstanding language wouldn’t do that.

28 Likes

I agree! It’s a good thing English doesn’t have a word for orgy… I would be outraged.

29 Likes

The problem isn’t that words like that exist in the language, the problem is what people might think when they see that someone is learning those words. Because I think that generally the assumption is that people learn words so they can use them.

I agree with OP that it would be nice if there were a script that could be easily turned on/off and would block certain vocab (maybe from a user-created list) from coming up in reviews or lessons.

7 Likes

I was responding to the idea that the word is unnecessary to be included on the site at all. People can alter WK however they like, but I don’t want words to be considered off limits to include on the site based on people who do their reviews on big screens everyone can see.

19 Likes

Oh, I see. But anyway, not everybody has a small screen they can use. Plus I see a lot of complaints about it being troublesome to do reviews on a phone.

It’s not that bad doing reviews on a phone. Especially if you use one of the apps and it has the override script built in in case you fat finger while typing.

6 Likes

Yeah, my work computer doesn’t allow any scripts anyway, so it would be moot whether I wanted to remove the “naughty” words in the first place. But if I’m surrounded by people at work, I try to at least look like I’m working.

8 Likes

It’s embarrassing that people comes up with such a topics, embarrassing as a human being.

As Leebo said, if you are at work at least try to work. And at the train, and everywhere else btw, grow up a little, all of you are sure past the age of being embarrassed by something like a naughty word on the screen of your phone.

Ghee…

21 Likes

I just don’t want to have to explain certain things to my kids if they happen to see something that they aren’t really old enough to know about. And trying to hide my laptop screen when they come around sets a pretty bad example when I insist on knowing what they are doing on the computer.

6 Likes