NSFW mode?

I dont think it would be that hard to write a script for that, but someone would have to make a blacklist first of all the NSFW words and examples (plus people might disagree what is and isn’t SFW), since the API doesnt exactly tell you which is which. That could be time consuming.

And you’re free to modify WK however you want. The rest of us can use the product as it was created, thankfully without koichi shielding us from the dictionary.

Again, not judging people for using scripts to modify their experience, just don’t understand people thinking the site shouldn’t have the content.

13 Likes

Lol, the amount of complaints about wanikani…
The answer to the problems is the perfect app, tool, or thing doesn’t exist. You don’t like the words popping up on your screen or afraid of what people will think of you then darken the screen, get a smaller screen, or another solution similar to the alike. Don’t use your schools computer while using wanikani, etc. The answer isn’t outside from yourselves people.

5 Likes

Yes, this is why I suggested allowing the script user to add and remove items from the blacklist. If that’s possible, I don’t know.

Thank you for your helpful input, but it’s not that I am embarrassed by the words, it’s that they’re inappropriate in the workplace when I’m doing my reviews on my lunch break. A script that allowed for a NSFW mode would be helpful.

9 Likes

Not really Blacklists, but as far as pre-existing scripts…

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a script for blacklisting items :thinking:

Yes, please for the love of god. Living in Japan, I like to do my reviews on the train/bus. But I usually opt not to, because sometimes awkward things pop up.

2 Likes

As someone who is incredibly worried about what random people think and has to explain things to any kid who asks any question, here is a list of words I demand we remove from the sight.

殴り合い - Clearly not nice
陛下 - Don’t want kids to know some people are considered more “Important”
いい加減にしろ - People might think I’m a horrible person because I learned a word that’s bossy.
殺す - What if someone thinks I’m planning a murder?
自殺 - Too dishonorable
切腹 - Too honorable
感ガン - Hoo boy
靖国神社 - War Criminals

I have already written to Tipper Gore and the PMRC.

13 Likes

I really don’t see how the 1 out of every 500 (random guess) or so words that are “inappropriate” popping up for a second, just happening to be glimpsed by a coworker/child/person on the train, can be any more worse than 1 out of the every 10 or so “innapropriate” news articles/popular culture headlines/pictures popping up from everyday browsing, being seen by a coworker/child/person on the train.

9 Likes

Aw, cmon. I personally don’t care about what words come up in my review but there seem to be a sizable number of people who do for various reasons. No need to mock. Edit: plus, this is totally a thing that could be done by a script. It’s not like they’re demanding koichi censor WK :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

This isn’t the kind of thread I thought it would be.

23 Likes

While I completely agree with you about it being great we are not shielded from language, I also think it’s a smart decision to have an optional filter. I’m imagining being a teacher who loves the concept but simply cannot recommend my 13 year old Japanese students to use the product because I don’t want parents calling me asking why their kids know how to say “testicles” in Japanese, but not “good morning”.
I can’t even recommend this to my Japanese teacher friends to spread the word because they can’t use it to teach the language to anyone who is legally a dependent, without fear of complaints.
I don’t think it’s necessarily a question of fundamentally trying to limit what people see, but instead one of trying to be practical in education. This could be huge if schools bought academic licenses, but I don’t see that happening, to the extent that it could, without a filter.

9 Likes

Koichi has made his position clear with regard to offensive, weird, inappropriate mnemonics, such that quibbling over the words that appear seems strange. Maybe one day he’ll have them write new mnemonics, etc, but until then that’s just what the tone of the site is.

8 Likes

I would also agree with having this as an option (that is on by default). I often do my reviews while on break at work (in a Japanese environment) and it was a bit of a shock seeing such words come up (with no prior warning). I think this is a fair request as users (past level four) are paying to use the application.

3 Likes

Why is it that whenever someone suggests a permanent change to Wanikani, you are there with a simple “do it yourself.”

I use wanikani primarily on my cell phone and a work computer. I don’t have time, energy, or even really access to be downloading and modifying scripts. I just want the program to work more functionally by itself, because I (and you) are PAYING MONEY for this service. I think we as customers are allowed to complain, or at the very least make suggestions for ways the service could be improved.

7 Likes

You didn’t merely suggest the change to filtering, you framed it as not wanting the vocab on the site. Is that not what you meant?

1 Like

If filtering were a convenient possible change, then that would be great.

However, I, personally, would not be devastated if orgy were removed from the site. If I were curious, I could just look it up myself elsewhere.

1 Like

People are allowed to complain about wanikani. It is a paid service.

1 Like

Just to put this in perspective, I’m chilling in a Japanese convenience store, grabbing a bite to eat, and from my seat near the entrance I can see condoms and plastic-wrapped nude magazines on the shelves. The parents who come in generally don’t freak out or shield their children’s eyes. This is the convenience store next to the local schools. Pretty standard.

Is that kind of thing shocking to people?

6 Likes