Is there a way to remove a word from showing up in my reviews?

As title, words have started showing up in my lessons and reviews that I am absolutely NOT comfortable with having to remember or think about and wouldn’t be useful to me in the slightest, is there any way for me to remove these from showing up, either with or without a userscript of some kind?

1 Like

You can add a user synonym of, like “a” or something - WaniKani accepts user synonyms as correct answers also - though the downside is the words themselves would still come up in the queue.

1 Like

金玉 or 性病 lol I feel u.

4 Likes

Yep… that’s the one

Just get it right every time, so it will rank up fast. :wink:

2 Likes

You could just never do the lesson, and use the reorder script to skip it or something.

Though when you say it “wouldn’t be useful to me in the slightest” I’m not sure what you mean. WaniKani is meant to teach how to read kanji and there’s no way to say you’d never encounter a particular word in writing.

4 Likes

「金玉」の何が問題になっていますか? :wink:
(I hope I wrote that right…grammar is still my weakness)
Without 金玉, half the jokes in Gintama would disappear, haha.

1 Like

I’ve never in my life encountered it in my reading (including English), and currently don’t expect to encounter it in anything I read going forward.

1 Like

What… you’re talking about 金玉? I mean… the English word is not a rare word. It doesn’t really come up in the “English words I learned from WaniKani” either.

1 Like

I don’t mean to belittle anyone for their sensitivities or beliefs, but language is a broad and living thing that cannot be edited for prime time. If you cannot handle a few common adult words, then language study may not be for you. I know that sounds harsh, but attempting to filter reality to a subset of only things that appeal to one’s sensibilities is part of the reason we are in the shit we’re in now.

Having said that, we should totally be able to skip vocab.

14 Likes

The fact the word “isn’t rare” doesn’t change the fact that it’s a word I almost never encounter in English and don’t think I ever would when reading Japanese either. It’s not something I need to know and not something I want to know either, since I find having to remember and think about that kind of thing very uncomfortable

1 Like

[stares at 塁打、本塁打、 and other baseball related words when I have never played baseball in my life]

Sigh… I feel you.

6 Likes

I’ve cared for a patient who lost one of his testicles because he was too uncomfortable to tell his parents or the ER doc what was really going on. He said it was his belly that was hurting, they did an echo of his abdomen and of course that was fine. So they sent him home. The next day the pain was so intense he finally told them, but by then it was too late. So, testicles. And penis too, just to be sure.

11 Likes

and then you realize ホームラン is also a common word. Why do they have to do this :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Because they’re trying to hammer home the kanji readings. That’s basically the only reason.

But yeah, it would help if the readings were in words we’d actually use.

I think I see the word testicle in English pretty much every other week. Is it really that offensive a word?

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t really understand why a body part word, while a bit casual, would fall into the category of banishment, but I guess there’s nothing to gain by trying to convince someone not to want to skip whatever they want to. It’s possible, so people can.

3 Likes

Is 金玉 slang? I can understand wanting to skip it if it is slang, but if it is something that would be in a biology textbook having a passing knowledge of anatomical terms seems useful to know.

It’s “common usage”. Not entirely sure precisely where that falls on the dictionary-to-slang spectrum.

If Wikipedia’s anything to go by, an anatomy textbook would probably use 精巣.

You must venture in very different circles of the internet and of the world than me. And it is offensive to me personally for reasons I’d rather not get into on a public forum

2 Likes