New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Can I use the vacation mode to work on whittling down my 1400+ reviews?

You won’t be able to do reviews while in vacation mode.

The best way to whittle down a review stack is to stop doing lessons and then just chip away at it until it’s manageable again.

I did it the other way and did large batches of reviews in a short period of time but I don’t think I would recommend that.

Good to know. thanks!

1 Like

Is there a script that I can install which prioritises current level kanji and radicals? I had a look but not sure which one that would be.

Also, do you have any recommendations for scripts that help with leeches? Prevention as well if there is such a thing.

Many thanks.

The reorder script can sort your lessons or reviews so that you get certain items first. The speed demon preset included by default seems to be what you’re looking for :grin:

I use the self study quiz to do some additional reviews for items I newly learned or am having trouble with in order to practice them a bit more. That has been helping me manage my leeches. You can set it up so you can just practice your leeches.

2 Likes

Is there an easy way to chunk out lessons into a smaller portion instead of 5 lessons at a time?
Reason why I ask is because I’m at a weird in-between point between level 1 and level 2 where I’ve got two remaining level 1 vocab lessons leading into three level 2 radical lessons. I kind of just want to learn those remaining two vocab before moving on to new radicals.

Like this?

1 Like

You can use the script mentioned, but also in the settings you can change the order your lessons appear in (by level for example) and set the batch size to 2 if you want. You might want to change it back afterward though? Personally, I like a higher batch size, as five always seems a little small to me :man_shrugging:

(If you want to change these settings, just click your profile pic on the home page and then click “App”.)

3 Likes

Thank you for the responses! I was not aware of this custom userscript aspect of WK. I will have to look into this more to see how else this can help.

I pressed onward with the lessons anyways and all went well. I was mostly concerned that mixing radical lessons in with my vocab lessons would cause me some retention issues since grasping on’yomi/kun’yomi readings is already putting my brain into overdrive and causing some wire crossing. So far so good however.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi. I’m level 1 and I did my first lesson yesterday and this morning I did my first review. Just wondering that what do next? There is 0 lessons and 0 reviews. And its about 4 hours I did that review

Wanikani needs some time to ramp up to full speed. So it’s normal that you have times (especially in the beginning) in which you don’t have to do anything. That is part of the whole SRS which tries to optimize the time you spent and not waste your time.

Now if you don’t have any open items and still want to do something for your Japanese there are a lot of options:

1. Learn some grammar with a book or webpage or application
  2. Depending on your level try to read something simple to reinforce the learned stuff (eg. tadoku)
  3. Watch a video with english or japanese subtitles (youtube/anime/drama, whatever) to get used to the japanese sounds.
  4. Work on your writing skills
  5. etc, etc, etc

Basically just engage as much as you can with the language. Wanikani shouldn’t be your only contact with the language by a long shot!

Ah and welcome to the Forums!

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer! And yeah I started practising katakana this morning so yeah I have work to do!

Wow now I’m confused. I tried my first vocabulary lesson and there was “power” and its reading was ちから and in kanji lesson “power” was りき

If someone would help me to understand a bit better what is going on xD

The kanji 力 can have several readings, and kanji items are meant to broadly introduce the kanji as a concept. When you do a kanji lesson, they teach just one reading to keep it from being overwhelming, and it’s often an on’yomi reading (the readings that are borrowed from Chinese), but it doesn’t have to be.

In the case of 力, りき is an on’yomi for it, and they chose it as the reading to teach in the lesson, but it’s just one possible reading for the kanji. Other readings, like ちから (which is the kun’yomi, native Japanese reading) would be acceptable when answering the kanji item as well, but they require you answer with the one they taught to be sure you did absorb it.

Vocabulary items are different from kanji items, in that they are the actual words you’ll encounter in sentences. When you see 力 alone, and not part of any compound word or with extra kana attached to it, it will be the reading ちから.

“When then what about りき?” you might be thinking. りき and りょく, the on’yomi readings, are used in compound words. Like 馬力 (horsepower, ばりき) and 学力 (academic ability, がくりょく). You’ll use them later on when you learn those kinds of vocab items.

Let me know if you still have other questions.

7 Likes

I’m not exactly sure if I count as a new person anymore but I’ve been messing around with user synonyms recently (i should have done this much sooner) and although with vocab since it’s a word I find it easy to figure out what else to add, on kanji I get confused. Say, for example, 贅 is luxury according to wanikani. If I put “luxurious” as a user synonym, is that going too far,? is there an official meaning of a kanji to begin with? There’s better examples but that’s what comes to mind.

贅 is a noun so that’s why Wanikani uses the noun version “luxury”.

You’ll eventually associate Kanji with words and the single concept you’re asked to remember now is to help you get to that point so it’s up to you whether you stick with parts of speech for synonyms or just use a word that represents the concept to you like the adjective “luxurious”.

2 Likes

Makes sense to me. I feel like I’m half way there to associating kanji with Japanese words instead of the english word wanikani supplies anyways, so I guess what I put in for user synonyms is ultimately up to me. Thanks a bunch for the simple explanation.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m really enjoying wanikani but I wonder why we are learning very specific vocabulary in the early lessons? Such as dialect, single track mind or overseas. I understand these are linked to the kanji you learn in the lesson but it would make more sense to me to park non-very-useful-words-for-beginners to higher levels.

I understand there are script to go around that but why is it not proposed by default?

Cheers

I think I would disagree with your assessment of how useful words like dialect or overseas are…

But it boils down to the fact that WaniKani isn’t teaching Japanese, it’s teaching kanji. They’re teaching you readings and meanings for these kanji, and words that reinforce those readings and meanings.

Could they focus on just words that beginners to the language need? Yes, they could, but then that would be a very different system than they’ve designed, and perhaps a different resource out there will focus on that.

8 Likes

I’m level 2 now, and I had review where was level 1 kanji, and it asked onyomi writing only :confused: So it is important to learn onyomis and kunyomi writing when Im learning throught wanikani?

1 Like