My little っ broke :(

Been using WK for a long time and always just double type a letter to get my little っ. Fired it up today and it no longer works. I have no idea about figuring out how my keyboard or wanikani got changed. Any ideas? (Btw I do know how to do it the long way katsukki but i like my old way :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Typing “kakki” gets me かっき in the review pages. Are you running any scripts or anything?

5 Likes

not any news ones. One ive been using for ages is to auto show answer if incorrect.

At this point you should probably trouble-shoot.

1. Turn off your scripts. Try it.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Try a new browser.
  4. Google the problem.

Good luck!

3 Likes

You can type “xtu” and see if you got it.
Btw, “x” preceding any input will lowercase the kana.

6 Likes

I had the same issue. It was fine just up to 24hrs ago.

2 Likes

ive been typing tt to produce those little っ, now i have to bring up the bottom menu and find that letter and click it. Its such a cumbersome thing to do, and i never recall update windows or tinker with anything on this laptop. It work fine 24hours ago as well

1 Like

Typing just ‘tt’ doesn’t produce a little っ with japanese IME either. You have to double the next consonant like gaki = がき and gakki = がっき

10 Likes

Just noticed this happening in my reviews a few minutes ago, double consonent doesn’t type っ anymore but as soon as you put in the vowel after it, it adds it in. Seems to be a new change because I’m sure it used to work.

2 Likes

Seems to be a good change then? Seems like many people were wasting stroke by typing ga-tt-ki or ga-kk-ki to get がっき ?

9 Likes

yeah its good in the long run especially for newcomer. For us, probably need time to get used to, but i can see it headed into the right direction

3 Likes

Wait, what? So… Has “gakki” worked this whole time and people were typing something other than “gakki” to produce がっき?

I’ve never done anything except something like “gakki”.

32 Likes

Same reaction. :open_mouth:
Btw @Leebo are you still feeling the same way after a few years and would you still recommend one? https://community.wanikani.com/t/i-bought-a-japanese-electronic-dictionary-and-its-frickin-amazing/40668

5 Likes

I’m having the same issue as OP. The suggestion to use xtu works, however I’ve gotten so used to just typing tt to get っ

2 Likes

Why not just type the double consonant? Might take some getting used to but it’s less keystrokes and more intuitive, I think at least. To get がっこう for example, just type gakkou. It’s the same way that IMEs work. If you type “gattkou” on IME, you end up getting a trailing t, which results in this: がっtこう

9 Likes

I use ltsu on both WaniKani and when I swap to Japanese IME on my computer. Trying xtsu or double consonant doesn’t work for me at all… well I haven’t tried them on WaniKani. I’ll stick to ltsu because it flows better in my head. Little tsu (ltsu).

Can confirm that does happen. Weird. Didn’t even know about the double consonant method until I read this thread.

1 Like

Just type “syukketsu”, that will work.

2 Likes

“Syu”? I always type “shu” :thinking:

6 Likes

They’re just different romanization schemes. “syu” is kunreishiki, which is used by Japanese people because it maintains the logical consistency of the way things connect (しゅ is an “s” row plus a “yu”).

Hepburn romanization, which we’re more used to, is intended to be easily pronounceable to English speakers, and so you end up with “shu” which evokes a more accurate pronunciation from the beginning.

Kunreishiki gets especially wonky for English speakers in the “t” row, because you end up with stuff like ちゅ being “tyu”

7 Likes

sixyuxtuketu. :slightly_smiling_face:

Revised Hepburn uses macrons to represent long vowels, and also “zu” for づ. What we use is Wapuro romaji.

4 Likes