My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK šŸ“– )

Well, that wasnā€™t the fastest possible anyway. I think that used to be something like 360 days? After the overhaul, new fast levels got created and some removed. So overall, Iā€™d say it hasnā€™t changed much, anyway.

2 Likes

Oh new ones have been created?! Exciting! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Hey! I hope that this reply will bring you back to the forums so that you can give WK another try! :slight_smile: I really appreciate that the guide inspired you :v:

Definitely! The fact that you can reword the same concept in different ways is another reason why I love override. I could be right, I just wrote the same concept in a different way. No need to get it wrong then :slight_smile:

How are things going for you? :slight_smile:

Youā€™re level 11 now! Well done! :grin: How are things going for you? Anything in particular that youā€™re struggling? Still enjoying WK as much? :grin:

Currently thereā€™s 1 more fast level, compared to when I reached level 60. However, some people might have still got 26 as a fast one + the new ones, turning that into quite a nice bonus. Possible max speed (6d20h + 3d10h levels at all times) is 345 days if my math isnā€™t wrong.

Again, sorry that Iā€™ve taken this long to reply to this thread. Somehow I only noticed these messages yesterday? :grimacing: Iā€™ve changed something in the settings, might work now :thinking:

8 Likes

Frankly, Iā€™m still disappointed that it took you over a year to complete WaniKani. I mean really, what is the world coming to?

:arrow_left: Took two and a half years.

3 Likes

Itā€™s gone already! One of the new kanji (from the last batch I think) made level 41 into a regular level again.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s still 43 and 44 since the overhaul. Because 26 is no longer a fast level, itā€™s +1.

And apparently itā€™s going to take me that long to add your scripts to the guide :joy::joy:

it wonā€™t actually, as Iā€™ve been rewriting it bit by bit every other day. Scripts are next :eyes:

5 Likes

@jprspereira

Hi! First of all, thank you for all of the work you have contributed to this community. Iā€™m very new here but I already see your responses and the great impact you have generated in a lot of topics and questions.

I have some question for you, If I may:

I apologize and thank you in advance for this request, I just want to have someone with a lot of experience validate my approach.

• Time-frames: I work from 8 am till 5 pm, Monday till Friday. Would you recommend studding at 7 am (lessons-reviews), then around 11:30 am, then around 10 pm? (3 times per day)

• WaniKani config: I believe the default config is optimal for knowledge retention, so Iā€™m not really interested in switching things around and risking retention for speed. But maybe Iā€™m wrong and there are small things I can optimize?

• Amount of lessons per day: I have been doing them all as soon as they show up, or at least during the same day they appear. This means that Iā€™m doing 40-50 lessons some days. Its not bad, after 2-3 reviews I get them all but should I space them out ?

1 Like

Appreciate the kind words :slight_smile:

If it works for you schedule-wise, why not :slight_smile: Iā€™d say that the 4h interval is more important than the 8h one and I havenā€™t had much problem with postponing the 8h interval for 2 or 3 more hours. Try it and see if if works, but I think it will be fine :slight_smile:

If youā€™re talking about scripts, Iā€™d say they are perfectly fine. You can still optimize your WK experience without going faster. A lot of scripts (Like Jitai, pitch info and visually similar kanji) just make your learning experience more complete, not the opposite (ruin it). If youā€™re afraid of ā€œcheatingā€ the system, just avoid the ā€œoverrideā€ and the ā€œreorderā€ scripts. Everything else just adds more to your experience as a learner :slight_smile:

I do believe so. Wanikani is a system of routine. By doing lessons spread out and on a daily basis, not only are you reinforcing your habits and improving your consistency around WK, but youā€™re not overdoing yourself. Remember that learning Japanese is not just learning kanji (what Wanikani is for). You still need to learn grammar, vocab outside Wanikani, read native content, etc. You donā€™t need to do all lessons as soon as they show up to level up faster, so itā€™s my opinion that you should conserve energy for other things. Also, if you do lessons in big piles, this means that big piles of reviews will also show up. This in the long-term will lead to having days with a huge amount of reviews, which you might want to avoid.

Hope I was clear enough :slight_smile: Let me know if I can help you in any other way possible :v:

8 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed response. Iā€™m aligned with your recommendations.

What scripts would you recommend? Can you provide quick context on what would I ā€œgainā€ from adding one or more of them, compared to the regular WK experience?

Only if you have the time of course, you have already helped me greatly.

Thanks!

1 Like

Never Wrong is a good script which adds more to your experience as a learner.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I slacked off really bad this summer but Iā€™m hoping to get back to the grind. Iā€™ve powered through my 500 waiting words and am back to a reasonable level. I need to restart Lingo deer to refresh grammar though. Iā€™m also hoping to lead a Japanese club at the school I teach at and start helping students learn some Japanese. I wonā€™t be able to teach them perfectly which is why itā€™s a club instead of a class but I would love for me and my students to all pass the N5 or N4 test so I can say I did it and they can have it on a college application.

1 Like

Both your questions are answered on the 2nd post of this thread (my guide), where I have an extensive list of scripts I used, ordered by importance and with descriptions of what they can add to your experience. Please check chapter 7.

I wonder if this still works after all this time :joy:

Donā€™t worry about starting right away with lessons. Give yourself a few days of consistent reviewing and then slowly warm that machine :muscle:

My experience with ā€œstarting thingsā€ tells me that we spent a lot of energy and time thinking about starting and that weā€™d feel so much better to actually start and use that same energy to learn. Iā€™d say throw yourself at it. Just 1 lesson is good. Itā€™s important to unlock that wall between thinking of starting and actually starting asap :slight_smile:

Ohh, thatā€™s such a great project! Congratz! :grin: Are there many students interested? Please update me with how that goes :slight_smile::v:

4 Likes

Thank you for the clarification! I think I needed clarity on the ā€œordered by importanceā€. This is great, thanks again.

1 Like

Right now I have 3 but Iā€™m hoping to get a few more. To start I donā€™t want over ten but we will see how it goes. Iā€™m pulling students from the board game and dnd group I run. Our goal is to take jplt next year and get the students to at least N5

1 Like

What happened on level 58?
3 days and 9 hoursā€¦ How is that possible

2 Likes

An example:

If you do lessons at 1:30pm, youā€™re supposed to have them for reviews 4h later (5:30pm). However, WK unlocks items at the start of a hour, which makes it into 5pm. In actuality, one would only wait 3h30mins for the 1st review.

This is most likely what happened. Theoretically, the minimum is 3d10h. But due to this ā€œtrickā€, it can sometimes be less.

2 Likes

But those lessons were unlocked at 1:00pm, so reviews at 5:00 pm is still 4 hours laterā€¦? I feel like Iā€™m missing something xD

1 Like

Not necessarily. I could have leveled up at 1:30pm.

1 Like

So if I understand correctlyā€¦ So you could have leveled up at 1:00ā€¦ But ofcourse that extra hour is added to level 57, so thatā€™s why level 58 is ā€œone hour shortā€?

1 Like

Yup :slight_smile: The time was just added to the previous level :v:

2 Likes