Luminaries

Leveled up today, I’m officially level 5 :partying_face:

5 Likes

I joined. Let’s get to 60 for real this time. :fist:

1 Like

That’s the spirit! Welcome! We’ll be cheering you on all the way to the top :wink:

2 Likes

And here too, @Pep95 :wink:

2 Likes

In honor of my upcoming first burns, I am joining the Luminary Society. It seems that at long last, I can complete my initiation into the cult wonderful community of turtle-burners.

inb4 I manage to get all of the burn reviews wrong

In more seriousness, I’m also among the Olympians, maintaining a (mostly) 8 day per level pace. Although I’m nearly six months in, and I do feel a bit of a grind sometimes between doing WaniKani, KameSame and BunPro at once, I’m not feeling the signs of burnout or the lack of direction that I felt in my previous attempts at Kanji learning. I’m definitely doing more work and spending more time per day than I did in the past, and yet I’m well on my way to beating my previous 186 day Anki streak.

If I had to single out a reason why, it would probably be this community. I had never before known how useful it was to have others learning alongside you, and those who have learned before you. From @jprspereira’s beginner’s guide to the book clubs to these quasi-competitive races, there is a lot to help you keep moving forward. The various topics I’ve read have also given me perspective on how others learn, and brought up questions I never considered. All in all, WK was a good investment.

Thanks, all of you. Hope to see you at the eclipse.

Also, water team best team.
Water planet best planet.
Fite me.

6 Likes

I’ve been alternating between putting off and/or just forgetting about joining for a while now. This seems like as good a time as any to finally throw my name in here as well :smile: Go Team 火星!

3 Likes

Welcome @vnClJTUL and @Cerulea to the Luminaries! I hope you will have a great time here. We’ll be here to cheer you on and celebrate your achievements. Good luck!

4 Likes

Hey, I appreciate the kind words! :slight_smile: It means a lot to me that the Guide is contributing to help improve so many people’s experiences with Wanikani :heart:

I definitely agree with the community. If it wasn’t for the friends I’ve made here, I wouldn’t be so sure if I was still learning Japanese :scream::grin:

fiteme

4 Likes

Congrats on levelling up @jneapan! You’re getting up there! Already 1/30th of the way there :open_mouth:

4 Likes

\( ˆoˆ )/

万才(ばんざい)

4 Likes

:open_mouth: Didn’t know they taught this kanji in level 3 :joy:
Such profesh.

2 Likes

I reconsidered using it and switched it to the 才 version so it has all kanji available under level 3.

3 Likes

Leveled up yesterday, yay! (I wonder why it doesn’t show up on the forum though)
I’m going to be at level 7 for a while, got to work on my apprentice items first.

5 Likes

It can take a day or two to sync. You can force it by logging off and back on from the forums.

3 Likes

Congrats on leveling up! Good on you for taking care of those apprentice items first. I didn’t do that and crashed and burned around level 51. Also I have 640 leeches currently so that is also a problem.

1 Like

What are leeches?

1 Like

Leeches are those review items that you always get wrong, and that just won’t stick. I think they’re called leeches because they leech your energy and time away for no good reason. Studying your leeches early on might be a pretty good thing to do. I think the self-study script has a mode where you can just focus on your leeches.

Also, I improved a little script that allows you to see your leeches and where they are.

3 Likes

Hello!
I am new to WaniKani and I want to make it to level 60 as I am finally trying to take my Japanese studies seriously. I took some very basic university courses years ago, but I was lazy and forgot everything. Now I want to get into self-studying (currently I use WaniKani, the first Minna no Nihongo book from my old course and Duolingo, I also like watching Doraemon on Youtube)
To keep myself motivated, I would like to join Team Saturn 土星
Is it okay, if I add myself to the leaderboard?

Greetings,
Natahoot

5 Likes

It is, but I don’t think you’re able to edit the wiki post yourself yet in order to add your name to the table.

I can do it for you if you want.

4 Likes

Thank you! That would be great. :blush:

1 Like