Luminaries

I disappeared from the radar there, but I’m back now :slight_smile: I’ve always had difficulties with perfectionism (going to great lengths to sabotage myself, rather than not living up to what I think I should be) and this mindset versus the vast ocean (deep abyss) of Japanese is quite hard for my mind to handle. But we’ll get there. Even half an hour of hobbyJapanese a day is better than quiting, right? :sun_behind_large_cloud:

Only 813 reviews to go and we’re back in business.

6 Likes

Level 10 reached… in beautiful Fukuoka, Japan! No, I didn’t plan it that way, honest.

4 Likes

I come to offer a level up (two days ago) and a first burn (today, the 丶radical) for team 木星! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Moved up the list one entire place with my level up to 7 :sunglasses:

Just an idea but might be cool to have rankings running down the side of the list so that we can keep track of our place and pace compared to others?

2 Likes

Joined! Should be at level 04 tomorrow. :slight_smile: Representing for Team Durt 土星

3 Likes

Hello, welcome! がんばってね~ :blush:

I almost thought you were @kitsunensei, our thread captain :eyes:

3 Likes

I want to join this thread

3 Likes

Welcome!
I added your entry to the burns leaderboard :wink: I’ll let you decide what Team you want to join (they’re just for fun).

P.S I’m surprised that you have burned so many turtles already! You’re even at the top on my dashboard leaderboard!

3 Likes

close but no cigar :wink:

2 Likes

Hello everyone :wave:

I’ve been lurking and considering joining for a while, but I wanted to wait until I completed the first three levels before committing…

Well, I made it and I’m committing :partying_face:

I’ve decided to join team 木星 as it’s my ruling planet (according to the zodiac) and I’m excited to join you all in this journey. I’m looking forward to reaching level 60, I’m in it for the long haul :slight_smile:

8 Likes

am I the leader?

2 Likes

You are leader-senpai :3

1 Like

If you said it like that I’m gonna blush.
Or not.
I don’t really care, hum!

3 Likes

Smooth ride. Level 25, 21.4% burned.
Good wishes to all my fellow luminaries.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I was a little hesitant to sign on, but it’s not a totally unreasonable goal! I have a feeling my pace will slow way down as I keep going but :woman_shrugging: My intermediate goal had been level 30 by next summer, so that’s not totally out of line!

As I mentioned on the WK vs. JLPT thread, I’ve been trying to learn Japanese for a while, because my husband’s family is all in Japan, and though the immediate family speaks English, obviously friends and family there don’t. I always figured-- I don’t need to learn to read! I just want to talk! But apparently it’s basically impossible (at least for me) to just learn to listen/talk, because you just can’t use 99% of the non-beginner resources without learning kanji.

WK has been working great for me so far! I’m easily motivated by the dopamine hit from leveling up (or just clearing my reviews). I’m hoping it doesn’t wear off, but I was thinking, well, I’ve been playing the same dumb game on my phone pretty much every day for the last three years (Best Fiends, if you’re curious) and so apparently I am immune to boredom when it’s gameified. Here’s hoping that applies to WK too!

I am team 木星 because when I was a kid for some unknown reason my best friend and I decided we were Jupitarians. First time I’ve had a chance to put that to use!

5 Likes

Hey there, welcome! You’re waaaay on time, no worries! With everyone cheering you on from the sidelines, you’ll be level 60 before you know it :blush: Even if you decide to take a break, it’s about getting as far as possible.

Regarding learning to speak Japanese, it’s been much easier for me to realized what’s being said by separating everything into kanji components. I hope the same will happen for you over time. :wink:

(Pretty great team choice btw)

3 Likes

@jneapan psst pspspspspst, come and join us. You’re on my leader board already :eyes:
I noticed that you’re on level 2 now, congrats! :sparkles:

3 Likes

Alright :slight_smile: let’s do this thing. Aim for the top, and be the drill that will pierce the heavens.

It’s my first time doing a thing so I’m not sure I did it properly.

2 Likes

If you’re going to steal the moon and replace it with another one from a different dimension, you’d better make sure you don’t mess up the timing of the eclipse as you do so.

3 Likes

:kissing::notes::musical_note:

2 Likes