Listening Practice 🎧 What do you listen to for Japanese practice?

Another way to re-open a thread, is to flag it, and submit the flag under Others. But then you (only) will see it being flagged forever.

Which is why you should not do it this way ever? Just ask the Mods properly and they’ll do it. No need for flagging, which is just confusing and a very weird way of asking for something.

By tagging the mods you can get help creating Wiki’s if you aren’t a regular user, or make other changes. It’s as easy as that. They’re happy to help. :slight_smile: The most interesting thing is merging threads, which they can also do.

Edit: And if someone are just not sure of “where” to post the question to the Mods about reopening a thread, you can do it right here for anything listening practice vise.

As a useful note, of you wanna post a suggestion to reopen a thread for reading practice, please do it here:

This is because, it helps bring focus to discussion threads that are now no long maintained or ongoing, to the people involved currently. This might also revive the threads with new user interest. So, it’s best go place requests closer to home topic and help maintain the master list for those book clubs. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually, flagging as Other is a normal way to request a topic be reopened. And if the mod properly removes the flag afterward I don’t think you’ll see it forever. I’ve used this approach several times, personally.

2 Likes

Okay! I get I was wrong. It just felt so strange to me! ^^’

I’d never do it like that. But, if the mods are fine with that method sure thing. :slight_smile: Maybe, they should promote it even, though I don’t see them doing much maintenance for these forums so far to help with unnecessary re-posts/double threads etc

This point still stands. you might have to post to revive the thread anyway, and check interest. Letting people know is just how to make the thread revive properly! :+1:

1 Like

I have several threads I have flagged for reopening, and the flag is still there.

This is one of them – Guess the waseieigo meaning! No cheating!

1 Like

Interesting. I guess, just being open about it is the way to go? I mean, it does make the most sense. And if people are truly struggling for a place to put their request, spam the POLLs! :joy: It’s always an open target to put anything you don’t know there else to put, for a post! ^>^

I think the @Mods will have to clarify what they prefer here also. That’s what it boils down to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most people tend to flag a post as Other and ask us to reopen the thread. I’m assuming they do this because it’s the easiest way to send us the thread in question. We’ll ignore/disagree with the flag after reopening the thread.

That said, whatever works best for you is fine!

4 Likes

Thank you for the clarification!

I guess, it’s then more about whether you wanna bring some additional attention to a long-lost thread, or just revive it easily by openly posting about reviving it! :slight_smile:

Thanks as always for your prompt help! I was not expecting this on a Sunday! I think that is new! :eyes: :clap:

Also, if you ever want me to change my OP post message for the new Master List of Other Media Discussion Threads just say so. For now, it’s suggesting people to tag you in the thread if any media thread discussion has gone closed. :slight_smile: (I just thought that’s more beneficial to make the community aware that there are people interested in a specific media/culture discussion - again!

If you’d prefer the other method, let me know, as I’ll change the message! ^>^

1 Like

Your post is fine as-is, since we don’t have any official rules for how to reopen threads. We can cross that bridge at a later time!

1 Like

Okay, the let’s just keep things as is for the time being! :+1: Let me know if anything changes!

Don’t know if this has been shared yet, but: RopeAtelier Calm content about a woman living alone doing relaxing things and talking really clearly. Isn’t subbed, but due to the audio being good and not talking particularly fast it’s fairly easy to follow along (autogenerated subs works fairly well also).

Seems like she’s been struggling with some ailment/sickness but recently gotten better. Could probably need some love, also potential future goldmine content-wise.

6 Likes

Right now I am going through the Audiobooks for é’æ˜„ăƒ–ă‚żé‡ŽéƒŽ series since the 13th book comes out on Friday. It’s just passive listening and I try to challenge myself to imagine which scene it is and each thing being narrated to not be lazy about it. I am playing through Persona 4 Golden, and watching Anime here and there too. Just kind of always finding something to listen too but I am not in the mode where I need to listen to Japanese like I do my English media. Persona is very close though, its just bothersome because I am always looking at guides while playing so it feels a little more like homework sometimes.

4 Likes

A recent request for listening material made me realize a lack in the Wiki, about “hard science topics”.

So, I’ve added Technology and Science as separate subheadings. Also Computer History and Technology.

While it’s encouraged for people to add their own as needed, it might be prohibitive if the headings don’t already exist.

So, let me know other suggestions that you feel should be added. Or suggestions in how to encourage people to get more pro-active on their own. In any case, all suggestions for listening practice are welcome in this thread.

As are other chat about your favorite listening sources! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I added

to the wiki since this channel is great comedy, part info, and pure fun! :grin: Focus seems to be life in Japan, the strange and the wonderful things that makes Japan unique and confusing. XD

for example:

4 Likes

I don’t think this has been posted before:

Native people being asked questions in the street by other natives, fun to see their answers, and there are JP + EN subtitles :slight_smile:
(not sure where I can put it in the wiki?)

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! ^>^ Really interesting vid. I love everyday expressions, unique words etc. XD

I put a link to it under “dialects and slang”. :+1:

Edit: I only recognized a couple. The rest were new. Maybe something for the content team on wk. XD

edit 2: I’ll also link to the start of this series. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I like this channel, if anybody is learning another language than Japanese, check them out, it probably has your language too

2 Likes

I just found out that they’re creating a remake of Takeshi’s Castle, the epitome of crazy hard game shows. Found an old episode on YT if anyone want’s to practice their Japanese listening to Japanese game shows. :grin:

News about the new show that’s going to air on Amazon prime for those that have that in the video below
which also has a summary of the various seasons and going ons with the show.

5 Likes

I found lot of Iron Chef vids on this YT channel. :cook: https://www.youtube.com/@resipesmania4723/videos

The audio and video quality is clearly from some old VHS recording, but that sort of makes it even more precious. XD I never watched this show, but heard tons, and got curious. There’s probably more old-school TV shows like this out there that might be fun to give a go. :thinking:

Any tips are always appreciated! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ă™ă”ă„ïŒ
I love that show! When I was a kid they aired it on TV it was re-worked with an English dub, and they omitted a lot of content that westerners couldn’t relate to. It was called MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge). Later on, I found the original version (after watching videos on the NES game Takeshi’s Challenge), and it’s absolutely hilarious! I can’t friggin’ wait to see a modern version! That’s going to be a very fun way to get some listening practice in!!

3 Likes