🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

Haha, that’s a brilliant idea! But at that speed I cannot manage to type in the number, even if I understand it straight away :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

July 21st!

Today I listened to Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, Episode 25 and also watched another episode of Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens.

(Home Post)

Thanks for the link @NicoleIsEnough! It was really interesting. It did make me want some ramen though… :sweat_smile:
Also I was excited to see them visit the Ameyoko underground market since its featured a few times in a manga I’ve been reading (Mitsuboshi Colors) :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve heard horror stories about the JLPT N3 test and hearing numbers in the audio test portion. Sounds like a worthy endeavor to get those down.

6 Likes

Ouch my brain :joy: I started out up to 100 and was like “wow I’m doing better than I expected!” and then I went up to 1000 and everything shut down lmao

6 Likes

I weirdly did better on this than I expected to, but I had to watch if it captured the number I was typing as I tended to start typing before it allowed input. Seeing as numbers are honestly something my brain ignores a lot of the time this is reassuring :sweat_smile: Age? I remember. Percent? Remember. Years? Fine. Someone’s height in centimeters? I’m American so my brain straight throws that away :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Summary Post

July 21st
What did I listen to?: Super Bunny Man Let’s Play Part 3
How much time did I spend listening?: 18 min

Sorry I don’t have anything interesting to say today. I’m here, barely. That’s pretty much it. Today is major brain struggle times :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 4

July 21
Nihongo con Teppei Z, episode 32.

10 Likes

For the most part, height measurements for me also go in one ear and out the other, but there have been many occasions when someone’s height becomes a literal plot point in Japanese pro wrestling. Here’s part of a DDT Pro Wrestling press conference with the American indie wrestler Andrew Everett, who claims to be a 223 cm giant, but DDT billed him as 175 cm. When Andrew protested, they forced him to measure his height onscreen during the press conference, while he tried every possible trick to try get out of being measured.

I won’t spoil how the press conference goes, but it’s pretty funny, haha. It’s in both English and Japanese, so it’s some nice easy listening practice, though the final punchline tests your listening comprehension of numbers a little bit.

7 Likes

Jul 22, Fri of Week 4 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 不思議な岩穴 (:studio_microphone:) from 鹿児島県.

Just a natural geographical feature, I guess. I don’t have a good image today.

Story impression

This is how 大金持ち becomes 貧乏.

Yesterday, I listened to the playlist (りっきぃの夜話) from another day while traveling, but then got drowsy, total of about 20 minutes. Also, the understanding was limited.

Then, I got an italki class for 1 hour (but not while traveling anymore). it was generally good and I can ask for studying guide (and on Zoom too); but the actual teaching haven’t started yet. It got me wonder a little whether I got on italki to improve my vocal chatting, or also to improve understanding via grammar? So the tutor just said to apply for more only if I want to have such a course with him.

Then, I watched an anime with JP sub and Language Reactor. Reading every spoken lines and playing audio (if required to check) are helpful – with BGM and music make it even more fun. It is also possible to listen to a line, then speak the subsequent lines. Probably the pros of Language Reactor I haven’t really used until then. Though, of course it took some time; so I watched only 1 episode.

8 Likes

July 21 :blossom: Home Post

Today I watched more let’s play stuff, and then I messed with that number thing which was an adventure :joy: My listening comprehension at this point is definitely more general, so testing for more specific understanding like that can be challenging. It’s all gradual improvement :muscle:

Very relatable lmao, same thing with celsius temperatures, I’m just like “I’m gonna pretend I know vaguely what that means” and then I move on :joy:

9 Likes

July 22 :orange_square:

More book review videos (I guess I like torturing myself :sweat_smile:), one of them specifically on the book that is currently top in the Mystery Novel book club poll over at Natively. I understood, well, words again, but probably more than yesterday. Progress?

Also a video on yokai again. This is more like an encyclopedia read-aloud than a video. Images (and I assume text) by 水木しげる. 27 yokai starting with あ presented in 15 minutes. Not as fun as it could be. The images are lovely, but they do need more animation for a video. I need more interesting yokai content!

9 Likes

@omk3 I don’t know if you noticed but both the videos had this weird little…hand gesture? Head posture? :sweat_smile:

Is that supposed to be the thinking emoji (:thinking:)? :joy:

Anyways, the second youtuber was new to me so I checked him out, but a different video as even though it said ネタバレなし I didn’t want to potentially ruin any of the fun if that book got picked which it’s certainly trending towards. Instead I watched a fairly mindless one where he sees how many books he can find with 名探偵 in the title :stuck_out_tongue:

Again with the hand chin!

It also brought up a book that might be potential easy read for the book club down the line. Reading the summary and the first page or two it seems probably in the mid 20s for Natively levels? 異世界の名探偵. The publisher seems to be exclusively light novels

7 Likes

I did notice after I posted, and even thought on commenting on it (but then forgot), it’s so funny! I suppose they’re trying to look thinking/intellectual or something?
A quick search tells me that this gesture is the equivalent of a shrug in Japanese body language (in the meaning of わかりません, not “I don’t care”), so I guess it’s to show how mysterious these books are? :joy:

5 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220722 :loud_sound:

Day XXXI: : ピカチュウ!! :durtle_yellow_rodent:

After failing to find something on YouTube, I just ended up watching an episode of Pokemon and punching some guys in Yakuza 6.

@pocketcat, thanks! I might try noting something down, I want to do something similar to the reading challenge - note down all the new words, but it’s a little more difficult with listening.

9 Likes

July 22nd

Just a little bit of listening today - 2 episodes of Nihongo con Teppei. One was about magazines, and the other was about cooking.
I had to listen to the first one twice to fully understand it, but mostly because I got distracted in the middle!

(Home Post)

9 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 4

July 22
ハウルの動く城

Finally happened, Howl’s Moving Castle. That was brilliant, didn’t remember a lot of things. Watched with JP subs, some parts were a bit tricky but overall I think I got the majority of it. Was super fun, I will definitely rewatch some time soon.

Most of the time learning Japanese is something I do and have been doing for a long time already, but sometimes I have these realisations of thinking “I’m really understanding Japanese. The language that was so extremely foreign and cool when I was a kid, it’s actually not so foreign anymore”. Usually like I said it’s no big deal, but sometimes just thinking about it trips me out a lot. Like it’s so weird that I actually understand other languages. Brains are trippy. But it’s also a wonderful feeling to have from time to time, it keeps me going.

11 Likes

July 22 :blossom: Home Post

I watched an episode of ハイキュー!! today! It’d been a while so it was nice to get back to it :grin: It’s just a good time honestly, lots of goofs and such that make it fun.

Big mood, any time I actually stop and think about it I’m just like “…woah” :joy: It’s good though! It’s easy to get lost in it all and forget how far we’ve already come, so taking a moment to rediscover the wonder is nice :')

10 Likes

July 23 :yellow_square:

Three videos from NHK for School. These are small educational videos for elementary school students. Cute and relatively simple. Today I learned about the stars in the summer sky, and where insects hide in autumn. :grin:
I found out about the existence of these videos from this post, thanks @Jonapedia !

10 Likes

Jul 23, Sat of Week 4 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is カニ寺 (:studio_microphone:).

This person has a blog, and should be about 91 by now. Also, it’s probably the first time I hear the website’s name being pronounced.

So far, I can’t find where カニ寺 is, and there are many places of 海岸寺 and 小沢村.

Story impression

OSHO :facepunch:, destroyer of KANI :crab:

I think those Katakana sentences are

• 「お手に籠手とは鎚の事なり。喝!」
  • 「大足は二足、両足は六足、両眼は天をむく。これイカに」

Actually, I listened to さとり(の化け物) as well, but isn’t impressed enough with the storyline.

Yesterday, I listened to the playlist (りっきぃの夜話) from another day while running on threadmill in my workplace.

Then, I watched anime on Netflix. With an aid of Language Reactor, not only rewinding is easy, but also vocabulary tagging and phrase tagging. But after some point, I feel it can be overdone… I might just need to adapt, but then, Language Reactor’s dictionary isn’t on par with Yomichan, and even then, I usually look up further (on Goo / web search).

Then, I watched another episode, simply on a tablet. Rewinding by 10 seconds, rather than by a line of text, isn’t a big deal.

8 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220723 :loud_sound:

Day XXXII: : :monkey:

I watched a NHK school vid. I learnt all about how to make animations using paper and safety-pins :laughing:

This was a bit easier than the stories since they were having casual conversation, but I’m still in that realm of only understanding half of everything.

I spent awhile on YouTube yesterday trying to find something just like this! Thanks for sharing here, and thanks @Jonapedia for sharing before!

10 Likes