Levels beyond 60?

I looked through the forums for posts addressing this question, but I didn’t find one (sorry if I missed it!). Are there any plans to add new levels beyond 60 to WaniKani, or is that it? How much new content gets added over time? I’m interested in the lifetime membership, but I will probably stick to monthly if the website is static.

1 Like

From time to time there are new vocab and kanji added to existing levels. Furthermore they add new features like the voices ( male and female ) recently was a major update regarding mmnemonics.

Furthermore the lifetime membership will pay of if you consider to burn every single item :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The kanji/vocab content is mostly baked as is (they can’t invent any kanji to artificially inflate things, and after 2000 kanji there’s a risk of teaching people kanji that are too obscure) with the occasional additions into existing levels, but meanings, mnemonics, design, code, support, and maintenance are updated year round.

Regarding new levels, they’ve said before they’d rather not add new levels, but add any new items into preexisting levels.

4 Likes

They did add 10 levels some time ago (max used to be 50). I wouldn’t rule out them doing it again. If I remember correctly they wanted to add more vocab for kanji of levels 50-60 so if they add more levels it’s definitely not soon.

3 Likes

It would be kinda fun to be able to get up to N1 level vocab/kanji with WK. I think the general consensus among high-level Japanese learners, though, is that anything above about 2,000 kanji you just learn as-needed when you run into them.

7 Likes

Yeah, you’d get more bang for your buck from more words as opposed to more kanji. Even the missing jouyou kanji are mostly not very commonly used.

6 Likes

Just want to mention that they still have lifetime sale for $199 which is the same as 22 months at monthly rate. The fastest time to reach level 60 is about a year, and it requires either previous knowledge of the language or full time engagement. Most of users take more than 2 years to get thru all kanjis at this website.

3 Likes

based on someone else’s meme that i can’t find anymore, RIP

As others have said, once you’re level 60 on WK, you can just learn Kanji as you encounter them in texts, for example using Anki or another SRS.

People actually made “fake levels” up to 70, but even without these, there are more than enough resources for extra kanji to learn besides the WK/Joyo kanji.

1 Like

Do you want to learn kanji, or do you want to learn Japanese? Seems to me that “finishing” WaniKani should be a sign that it’s time to work on the other aspects of Japanese.

7 Likes

I use several other resources to learn Japanese already. I’m just trying to gauge the value of spending $200 on WaniKani. I’ll be moving to Japan in about eight months and living there for about a year. I like to look at the long-term value of all of my purchases.

At first I thought I would just stick to monthly since I’ll be in Japan in about eight months - why would I need this if I’m in Japan, right? But then I spoke to some people who have done what I’m doing and they say it can be very difficult to get the opportunities to practice Japanese while working out there, especially in this field. That’s when I started to think it might be good to still have WaniKani for practice while I’m there for back-up practice in my off time.

8 Likes

Thanks! That’s very useful information.

Thanks! You answered my query perfectly. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you to everyone for your input! This has helped me a lot in my decision making process. :smile:

In my opinion, the lifetime membership is a pretty good deal. As someone else pointed out, most people need more than two years to get through all 60 levels. With a lifetime membership, even if you completely abandon the site for six months, it doesn’t cost anything to come back.

3 Likes

exactly. i mean, you can get through WK in about a year if you always do your critical reviews on time and spend several hours each day doing lessons and reviews, but it’s tough.

Also by the way WK teaches over 6000 vocabulary items.
It doesn’t get boring anytime soon.
(at least from level 8 or so, where you start to get over a hundred reviews per day at max speed)

If you want to learn Japanese and you like WK and can afford it, it’s a no-brainer in my opinion.

The only real alternative is RTK (or RRTK with MIA), but it requires an extreme amount of initiative and motivation, and you learn 1000 or 2000 kanji keywords before learning your first readings and vocabulary. Most people give up on it.

I wonder, are 60 levels of WK enough for everyday manga or something light reading and hearing?Or is it still not enough to normally grasp the japanese?

I’m pretty sure it’s as close to enough as you’ll get.
You’ll always have a few Kanji and words you need to look up, but those will become much rarer.

WK is basically the Joyo kanji which is what japanese people learn in school.
Outside of that, they also learn new Kanji as needed.

wkstats.com says WK level 60 covers about 92% of Joyo Kanji.
The rest are probably mostly name Kanji and Kanji in the Japanese constitution.
(government documents may only use the Joyo Kanji)

1 Like

Yeah. There’s fifty-seven jinmeiyo kanji taught by WaniKani. Some of the inclusions are… curious.

1 Like

What does ‘G’ denote in the stats?The year of middle school or something?It’s said that G9 is the end of the middle school => the high schoolers don’t learn kanji anymore?

Yes. I mean, it makes sense to be able to read and write almost everything by high school, right?

Again, they probably learn a few more name kanji and other kanji relevant to their subjects and reading as they go and as needed, as we do when we finish WK level 60.