Levels beyond 60?

For what it’s worth, I’m roundaboutly developing KameSame to be a “thing to do when you’re done with WaniKani’s curriculum”. It’s primarily a “reverse WaniKani” tool for learning production of its corpus, but now that it also lets you learn recognition & production of any word, it’s going to become an all around ongoing education tool.

Plus it has 100 levels so that’s neat

3 Likes

They aren’t assigned government-selected kanji to learn in the same manner. The jouyou adventure does continue though, since many readings are only taught in high school.

For instance, しょう is a high school reading for 上.

4 Likes

WK doesn’t cover things like kana only words. You’ll know most of the kanji taught up to highschool, but WK by no means covers the words a high schooler would know.

You can definitely be reading and listening stuff while getting the gist. Manga covers hugely diverse age ranges, so you’ll be able to read some okay and be lost on others.

You will definitely need vocab sources outside of WK, or accept that you have a lot of holes in your reading / have to take time to look stuff up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What Omun said. For your vocabulary gaps, you can try Torii, which is free, has 10,000 words, a kana-only mode, and can exclude vocabulary taught on WK.

1 Like

Yeah, even having passed Kanken level 2, I regularly encounter new words.

5 Likes

You need to learn how to use them so gramma, use patterns and as somebody else mention here there non kanji words. Knowing words make learning those easier. Japanese is very different grammatically then English (and most languages) and very simplistic making it actually more difficult to understand, so it require practice to get use to, Kanji alone won’t help you out here. I can recommand nihongo no mori beginner grammar course (it actually fun series to watch), google “JLPT gramma” which usally leads list of diffrent gramma patterns and just read japanese, read sentences examples in tatoeba or jisho and ofcrose reading raw manga niconico seiga (hit マンガ tab) got lot of free stuff to read including all free web comics.

Hearing (and inherently talking) requires different kind of practice, because your brain need to analyze sentences way faster then you do during reading and you don’t have Kanji (and as result visual memory) to help you out. Most straight forward method for that is use Japanese in practice… so talk to actual Japanese people, or at least listen to them for starters. If you want to talk to random Japanese people i personally recommend VRChat (you don’t need VR to play it) and go to world “Fantasy Sekai Jou” (it written like that), “[JP] Tutorial World” or “Poppy Street” where they sit a lot.

1 Like

Well, as an educated adult native English speaker I still encounter new words in English. Most, though not all, are specialized technical vocabulary that “average” English speakers will never encounter or need. Either I figure them out from context, or I look them up. Seems to me fully literate (native or otherwise) Japanese speakers are probably in the same situation.

2 Likes

Whelp, you all convinced me. I bought lifetime!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.