:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

I only take new lessons (10) if I score over 75% in my review session.

I started the week corona came to the USA, so three years almost exactly.

Does that count?

5 Likes

How do you do this? I have tried to wrap my head around personalising WK, but I do not have the brain for that. Is there a simple guide to do it?

2 Likes

Here is the thread for the script, which has instructions!

3 Likes

First you need to install a browser extension called Tampermonkey, which is needed to run the userscripts. Hereā€™s the link for a guide on how to do that:

For your first userscript, you may want to install WaniKani Open Framework, which is needed for many WK userscripts.

After that, you can browse around the forum and install any userscript you like. I recommend not going too crazy when youā€™re just starting out. Someone already linked the Lesson Filter one, Iā€™d also add the Double Check userscript which allows you to redo your answers when doing reviews. I canā€™t count the number of times Iā€™ve made an error typo while doing reviews so itā€™s a really handy userscript to have.

3 Likes

Thank you @silvercanopus and @fallynleaf for the links and help, I will give it a go soon and will hopefully come back with good news that I got it working! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just to give another method that doesnā€™t involve any reordering scripts, Iā€™ve managed to hit 0/0 when I do 15 lessons/day. If I do 15 new lessons every night, thereā€™s usually one single day when Iā€™ve gotten all the radicals, kanji, and available vocab into Apprentice, but havenā€™t Guruā€™d enough to unlock more vocab.

That said, it varies by level (different ones have more vocab available early), and even the time of day you do lessons affects it. If you do lessons in the morning instead, it lets you hit the 4-hour and 8-hour interval in the same day, which would probably speed things up just enough to unlock vocab faster.

Like other people said, itā€™s not actually that important to hit 0/0. Itā€™s a nice number, but if getting there is overwhelming, itā€™s not worth it.

3 Likes

Level 54!

I leveled up last night, after about fourteen days as usual, and for once, Iā€™m posting my update on time, haha! I donā€™t have many exciting things to report for this one, though by the next level, I should be completely done with Minna no Nihongo, which is exciting!

10 Likes

I leveled up to 28 two days ago (yay! :partying_face:) but for some reason didnā€™t post a comment here about it, even though I intended to. I think I was making it too complicated in my mind, even though, as your little post proved, I donā€™t really have to make a big deal out of it. BTW: Iā€™m going at about 22 days per level recently.

I guess I also wanted to say that level 28 was the level I was previously at when I last got burnt out over a year ago now, and from which I reset down to level 7.

Ever since 7, Iā€™ve been Durtling the Scenic Route, so now Iā€™m finally back to my ā€˜high scoreā€™, so to speak. This time, though, itā€™s a totally different experience. No more dread, no more anxiety, and a lot more enjoyment of learning Japanese.

I guess I did also celebrate a little by catching up on some anime, as Iā€™ve been avoiding watching anime for a while, in favour of spending more time actually studying Japanese. I still use English subtitles, so watching anime didnā€™t really count much towards Japanese acquisition, in my experience. In fact, thatā€™s why I stopped watching it in the first place, since I realized English subs donā€™t really help with picking up the language ā€˜by osmosisā€™.

But after a long break, I figured I could spice up my free time with some anime once again.

So, I finally watched One Punch Man, which I really enjoyed. And I did notice that I could ā€˜pick up onā€™ a lot more of the spoken Japanese, which was a nice confirmation that Iā€™m actually making some real progress. Yay!

13 Likes

@silvercanopus & @fallynleaf thank you so much for your help! I changed the settings and it works like a charm! :smiley: I finally get the chance to break up the lessons a little so that itā€™s not just all vocab!

5 Likes

Hi there again!
After my reset, I ended up to have minus 1k burned items. But, now I feel relief and I feel again the addiction and need of doing my review everyday instead of drowning under the amount of work to keep it up.

So I am pretty happy, I am like in vacations because I keep really a small amount of review at a time, but I enjoy doing it, and I donā€™t care how long it will take if I ended up actually being able to read everything in Japanese :slight_smile:

My goal is to always do 5 / 10 Kanji lesson, then complete all the vocab, then going back to new Kanji. I am a lot brained because a lot of stuff changed since I learned it (like the reading)

Previously I had a lot of scrappy stuff coming from older level. Now I cleaned it! :smiley:

8 Likes

Hi everyone! I mostly lurk the forums, but once I stumbled upon this thread I felt the need to join you. Iā€™m a scenic durtle myself - Iā€™ve been doing 5-15 lessons a day, depending on the difficulty, along with my reviews, for the past 5 months. I have to admit that Iā€™ve never gotten 0-0, which I assume is because of my slow pace - I usually have a few dozen lessons remaining when I unlock a new level, but it doesnā€™t really bother me.
For some context, Iā€™m learning Japanese in my free time as a student and I already have some language learning experience under my belt. I have a pretty complicated relationship with goals and deadlines due to past experiences, so I started learning Japanese with the explicit intent of not setting any long-term goals and trying to enjoy the process, focusing just on being consistent. So far itā€™s been going quite well and Iā€™m really enjoying learning the language. ć‚ˆć‚ć—ććŠć­ćŒć„ć—ć¾ć™ć€‚

18 Likes

Welcome! That sounds like a really healthy way to approach it. I have to keep reminding myself that if Iā€™m doing this for fun, itā€™s okay to slow down and actually have fun.

9 Likes

Finally got to lessons from my current level today!! Back on track to actually level up sometime this century! :laughing: Itā€™s only been a few months! :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Ohhhh, this seems like the place for me.

Ever so slowly durtling over the country side.

I didnā€™t have the money to pay at the time, so I was stalled at level 3, but I have a bit more money now and thought it was time to continue on my nice trek up this lovely mountain.

My aim is to keep consistently painting those wonderful squares with knowledge and fun at a slow and steady rate.

Hopefully, I can get that ā€œ135 daysā€ typical level-up speed down, but Iā€™m confident that no matter how slowly, Iā€™ll keep on trudging along this well-travelled road. Looking forward to meeting you, my fellow Durtles!

12 Likes

One of the nice things about how wkstats measures ā€˜Typical Level-upā€™ is that it uses the so-called ā€˜medianā€™, rather than the more usual ā€˜meanā€™ (aka the average).

The mean is more prone to being thrown off by extreme (very large positive or negative) values, so that ā€˜outliersā€™ tend to skew the mean a lot.

Whereas the median tells you the value at the ā€˜half-way pointā€™ in the data, so that a small number of extreme values will play almost no role in determining the median. E.g. the median of [1, 5, 6, 8, 10] is 6 (the number in the middle of the sorted list) and the median of [1, 5, 6, 8, 23454529074534] is also just 6 (again, the number in the middle).

So, it will actually not take very long at all before your Typical Level-up settles down into something much more reasonable and meaningful. For example, since you are currently only level 5, you only have 4 numbers in your list to choose from, and at least two of those numbers are quite big. But when you level up a couple of more times, letā€™s say so that you have 7 numbers in your list, and 4 of them are more like a few weeks rather than a few months, then the median will instantly drop down to a ā€˜few weeksā€™-sized number.

It may seem like a subtle difference when described in text, but when you see it in action, it makes sense and I think youā€™ll find that itā€™s much more encouraging than if wkstats were to report just the mean/average rather than the median. You get a much clearer sense of ā€˜where you areā€™ with the median measurement. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome! Happy to have you mosey along with us here :turtle:

3 Likes

My week is likely to get away from me so Iā€™ll probably level up before Iā€™m able to clear out the lessons. Look how unstressed my little crabigator is! A perfectly manageable amount of lessons. Enjoy the feeling while it lasts, wani. Sorry in advance for the next-level avalanche.

11 Likes

Iā€™ve read ā€œlook how heā€™s stressedā€ first and yeah, he looked very stressed.
Iā€™ve noticed the ā€œunstressedā€ then. And, wellllā€¦ no, I canā€™t unsee him stressed ))

2 Likes

Made it to level 16 at long last. Never did finish those lingering 21 lessons.

@Pradd, hereā€™s how my wani looks normally :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been here three years, and never noticed that the pictures change.

How many stress levels are there?

ā€” Dave

4 Likes