Kanji progression

Damn you nihonjin… なんじつ is so much more 日本語-like than なんにち. Also, I have no idea how I got 光 so many times wrong… shies away

5 Likes

As soon as you guru a radical the corresponding kanji in that level should be available; you don’t need to guru 90% of radicals to get kanji lessons, but you do need to guru 90% kanji to level up.

1 Like

Is that the case for the first level? It could be that level 1 kanji only unlock after 90% of radicals are guru’d

Yes, that’s why I think something is horribly wrong if the OP doesn’t have any lessons. Or unless bladepoint is correct :wink:

Ah. I thought 90% of both had to be Guru.

@rfindley is typing though, so we’ll have a definitive answer soon :yum:

4 Likes

That’s what I’ve been waiting for, but the suspense is killing me…

4 Likes

@rakkun If you have not read the FAQ or the guide, you could try looking in one of the following threads:

24 hour wait and 0 reviews tomorrow
a bit slow to progress?
About the first (infamously) slow levels
Already know a few kanji…
A Three Day Wait
At Level 4 but stilll seems a bit slow.
Brutally slow feeding of new items and reviews for intermediate student
Can I speed up the pace at WaniKani?
Can new users jump to their appropriate level
Can you study Japanese in a faster way?
Does it start this slowly?
Early level unlock speed
Enough with radicals, why won’t kanji come already?!
Faster…?
Feel like there needs to be a more concise way for non-beginners to bypass content already known.
Give me more reviews
Going through the start faster.
Help new to WaniKani
Help please new subscriber
Help with lessons cant seem to get anymore
horribly slow for intermediate, any way to skip levels??
How many reviews before new lessonlevel
How to level up
I’m level N3 but I just started using this site. Do I really have to start from the beginning?
In 72 hours some reviews very sparse
Is it just me or do the reviews suck For level 2
Is it supposed to be this slow?
Isnt five days a bit too long of a wait
Is skipping from apprentice to guru/master/enlighten/burn possible?
Is skipping levels possible?
Is there any way to make this thing go faster?
Is there ANY way to speed this up?
Is there anyway to speed wanikani up? I find this too slow.
is there any way to speed wanikani up?
Just started, why is it this slow?
New here
New lessons arent unlocking
New user checklist and lesson speed
New user question 0 Lessons and 0 Reviews means I should just wait
New user questions
No New Lessons
Not being able to continue/skip ahead
Not getting a new lessons
OH GOD WHY IS WK SO SLOW!?!?
One study session just one radical now must wait 8 hours
Only 1 kanji in the reviews since 3 days
Only 86 reviews within the next day I am bored
Pace is too slow for intermediate-level users.
Progression question!
Progression speed
Pshh… This is too easy and slow!
Question about wait times
Review and level up wait time for the millionth time probably
Reviews
Shorten wait periods
Skipping Ahead
Skipping Levels (or making them quicker)
Skip?
Slow Progress customise starting level
Slow progression
Slow Start?
So slow
Speeding up lessons
Speed too slow
Speed up the first 5 levels of wanikani
Suggestion: Assessing Levels of New Users
Suggestion: Skip Waiting Time
The SPEED!!! of WaniKani.
The starting-as-non-beginner / placement-test / I-already-know-this thread
The wait times are ridiciously long
Think WaniKani is slow? You’re not alone.
This newbie needs help on unlocking more lessons
This website sure starts slow…
Time between reviews for each SRS level
Too Slow
Two days until next review No lessons either
Unlocking new radicalskanji
Unnecessary waiting for new content
Wait 4hrs to review only one word
Wait times
Wanikani isn’t as slow as I expected it to be and I am disappoint.
WaniKani is so slow!
WaniKani is so slow at the start
WaniKani is so slow
WaniKani Is Too Slow!!!
Wanikani painfully slow
ways to make the learning processes faster?
way to speed up the lessons?
What do you need to do level up
When are my lessons coming
When do you get a new lesson
When may I start studying Kanji
When will WaniKani increase speed?
Why is this site soooo slow?!?!?!?
Why must it be so “slow”?
Wish the intervals between reviews were shortened. Any tips on getting to the next review faster?

4 Likes

@oldbonsai @viet,
This thread raises some questions for me that are likely to come up as I redesign the stats site for APIv2. I’m hoping to add a new feature that will tell people exactly what they need to do to level-up.

My current understanding is that the 90% requirement only pertains to kanji, and more specifically the passed_at field in the API.

Also, there is no 90% requirement for the radicals (maybe except Level 1??). Individual kanji will unlock when the radicals that they’re made of reach Guru (i.e. passed_at). So, when kanji unlock immediately at level-up, it’s because those kanji’s radicals are from the prior level and had already reached Guru. And when the rest of the kanji unlock partway through the level, it’s because some of the radicals are from the current level, and the user just finished Guru’ing those. And those unlocks happen as a group only because people tend to Guru a lot of radicals in the same sitting… so it’s not a 90% radicals rule or anything.

But Level 1 does seem to be different… like it has different criteria for determining when to unlock the first round of kanji. Is there a 90% rule for radicals that only applies to Level 1?

Could you guys elaborate on whether the above is correct, and if I’m missing any additional details? I’m hoping that by understanding the process better, I’ll be able to put together a “What do I need to level-up” feature, and people in the forums can point people with these sort of questions to the stats site to understand their specific case.

3 Likes

I’m impressed about the list you compiled :smile:

1 Like

I just stole @Kumirei’s post that I linked before, but nobody read.

I know I’ve read information saying that you have to Guru 90% of the radicals and kanji to level up, but even if it’s true, I’m not sure it would be possible to have < 90% of the radicals, but > 90% kanji.

Looking back at the FAQ and Guide, they both say only 90% kanji. I can’t remember where I’ve read that, but I do know I was under the impression of needing both for a good while.

It’s not common, but I do think it’s possible:

• You can fail a review on a Guru’d radical, causing it to drop back down to Apprentice, but the passed_at field still remembers the fact that it had reached Guru, so it still counts for unlocking the kanji that contain it.
  • If a particular radical happens to be in a larger number of kanji on the current level, that would contribute a larger percentage to the 90% requirement for kanji. In general, I don’t think this has much effect, because radicals tend to have a relatively consistent range of number-of-kanji that they’re used in on the current level.

It is slow though :wink:

2 Likes

Possible in theory, yes, but I’m not sure if any of the levels are set up to allow it in actuality. You would need multiple radicals that are not used in any kanji of that level or have a set of levels you could stack up the radicals in the same way. Even if it’s possible, it would require you to be so deliberate only an automation tester cough cough would be a likely person to encounter that kind of scenario.

1 Like

Yes thats how it works.

No, there is no special treatment here. Level 1 to 60 are all evaluated the same.

Only thing different is the first two levels have accelerated SRS.

3 Likes

Okay, great to know!!

Still sort of a mystery, then, as to why the OP is having trouble, though we’re basing our assumptions on limited knowledge of his/her items’ status.

2 Likes

OP is no longer having problems. They now have 11 kanji in their Apprentice review pile

@rfindley Also since we don’t have PMs, TamperMonkey is telling me line 79 and 390 in the Open Framework are missing semicolons.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.