I have no idea what I'm doing

Just started, still working through the first 26 radicals.
Do I have to wait for me to get beyond “Apprentice” to start seeing statistics, progressing to actual kanji?

I have no idea if this is normal.
I’m also not sure where I’m supposed to post this

The progression bars show the percentage of rads/kanji Guru’d. Once you guru a few items, they’ll show up on the bars.

EDIT: Here’s an example…

I’ve already Guru’d all my radicals, so it’s at 100%. I’ve Guru’d a few kanji (but not all), so it’s at 51%.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s normal. You’ll have to review the radicals a few more times before they advance to Guru, at which point the progress bar starts moving. When you guru the radicals you’ll get kanji as lessons. When you guru kanji you’ll get vocabulary as lessons.

2 Likes

OK, I was wondering since I’ve done them about 3 times and I’m still stuck at Apprentice. I was afraid something was broken!

asks another stupid question
Where’s the list of levelling names?
I don’t remember them from the intro.

1 Like

3 times? Well, you’re (hopefully) almost at Guru then! (You have to get items correct 4 times in a row to Guru them. From there, twice more to get them to Master, once more to Enlighten, and then one more time until they’re burned.)

Level names (For rads/kanji/vocab, you mean?):
Apprentice
Guru
Master
Enlightened
Burned

Try reading this too: https://www.wanikani.com/guide

1 Like

aaand, I think I answered that question myself…
Hovering over the eggs shapes gives me their names.

Get the radicals right 4 times in a row and you’ll unblock the Kanji related to those radicals. Then, you’ll have to do the same with the Kanji to unblock the vocabulary.

The first level is definitely the most boring. Don’t worry, everything happens faster in the level 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks a bunch, I tried reading the guide, but I think I’m just frustrated because I’ve never used a learning system like this.

That makes me feel better, because I can’t always log on when the next review is available. So knowing it gets better as I get past newbie status helps!

1 Like

Stuff definitely gets a LOT faster. One time I had 80 or so lessons waiting for me ;-;
But yeah, first level is just meh. You just gotta keep pushing forward!

1 Like

I just got to Level 2 myself and the amount of stuff I’m doing here has like tripled already. So yeah, can confirm it does get faster after Level 1.

1 Like

To be abundantly clear, it should look something like this.

SRS Level Next Level Total Wait Review
Apprentice 1 4h - 1
Apprentice 2 8h 4h 2
Apprentice 3 1d 12h 3
Apprentice 4 2d 1d 12h 4
Guru 1 1w 3d 12h 5
Guru 2 2w 1w 3d 12h 6
Master 1M 3w 3d 12h 7
Enlighten 4M 1M 3w 3d 12h 8
Burned - 5M 3w 3d 12h 9
19 Likes

OH MAN I needed that, thank you!

This is pretty. I think we should use this from now on. I’ll “borrow” it from you. :blush:

Although there is no review 9 correct?

It felt weird posting that image every time the subject came up, especially since it didn’t carry much information, so I decided to make a table

Technically there are only 8 reviews, the first one is the lesson. Though since this is meant for beginners I thought it would be better to count that as well. Might be better to make the first one “lesson” and start 1 from Apprentice 2

SRS Level Next Level Total Wait Review
Apprentice 1 4h - Lesson
Apprentice 2 8h 4h 1
Apprentice 3 1d 12h 2
Apprentice 4 2d 1d 12h 3
Guru 1 1w 3d 12h 4
Guru 2 2w 1w 3d 12h 5
Master 1M 3w 3d 12h 6
Enlighten 4M 1M 3w 3d 12h 7
Burned - 5M 3w 3d 12h 8

Eh?

6 Likes

Eh. <that looks right to me, but I’m no SRS expert>
<All this is communicated by the “Eh.”, if you needed to look you’re not a true Canadian!>

1 Like

EH!
<But I’m not Canadian…>

Moose