June 25 2021 Content Updates

Kanji

(20) - added “hate” and “detest” to allow list.

(34) - changed どん from on’yomi to kun’yomi and made kun’yomi primary reading.

(52) - added はやて as kun’yomi.

(27) - added “think” to block list.

(44) - added りゅう as on’yomi.

(19) - added “connect” as a meaning and updated meaning mnemonic.

Vocabulary

喜ぶ (17) - added “to be glad” to meanings and added “to be pleased”, “to be delighted”, and “to be happy” to allow list.

倒す (20) - added “to overthrow”, “to knock something down”, “to bring something down”, “to overthrow something”, “to topple”, “to topple something”, and “to knock something over” to allow list. Updated meaning explanation.

存在 (20) - added “exist” to allow list.

退ける (30) - added のける and どける to reading warning list.

退く (28) - added のく, どく, and ひく to reading warning list.

(5) - added かね to reading warning list.

(34) - updated meaning explanation, updated one context sentence, and added two context sentences.

審査 (21) - added “judgement”, “judging”, and “screening” to allow list and added context sentence.

人類 (18) - moved “race of people” to allow list and added “human beings” to allow list.

混ぜる (19) - moved “to mix”, “to stir”, and “to blend” to allow list.

認める (21) - added したためる to reading warning list, and added “to recognize something”, “to perceive something”, “to acknowledge something”, “to approve something”, and “to admit something” to allow list.

止める (3) - added “to prevent something” to meanings, moved “to stop” to allow list, added “to prevent”, “to hold”, and “to hold something” to allow list, and added やめると and どめる to reading warning list.

面倒臭い (22) - added “annoying” to meanings, added “too much bother” and “too much trouble” to allow list, added めんどくさい as a reading, and added two context sentences.

不足 (4) - added “sufficient” to block list.

終点 (10) - added “final score” to block list.

終える (12) - added “to end something” to meanings and “to end” to allow list.

発掘 (42) - added “discovery” to meanings, moved “unearthing” to allow list, and added context sentences.

いい加減 (19) - added “responsible” to block list.

点く (8) - added “to go on”, “to catch fire”, and “to be lighted” to allow list.

何日 (5) - added “noun” as word type, updated reading explanation and context sentences.

何回 (5) - added “expression” as word type.

何人 (5) - added “expression” as word type.

通す (9) - added “to let something pass” as primary meaning and “to put something through” as alternative meaning, moved “to let pass”, “to overlook”, “to continue”, “to keep”, “to make way for”, and “to persist in” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and replaced one context sentence.

締まる (29) - added “to be toned” as a meaning, moved “to become taut” to allow list, added “to be taut” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

広げる (3) - added “to spread open”, “to spread something open”, “to spread out”, “to spread something out”, “to unfold”, and “to unfold something” to allow list.

今月 (3) - updated context sentences.

愛知県 (17), 長崎県 (25), 徳島県 (31), 熊本県 (35), 神奈川県 (36), 鹿児島県 (36), 香川県 (37), 奈良県 (38), 群馬県 (39), 埼玉県 (39), 沖縄県 (40), 岐阜県 (41), 愛媛県 (51), 茨城県 (54), and 栃木県 (55) - added “[…] Ken” to the allow list (e.g. “Aichi Ken” for 愛知県).

Additions

Kanji

• Level 14: (いちご) - strawberry
  • Level 33: (こ) - crotch

Vocabulary

• Level 14: (いちご) - strawberry
  • Level 33: 股間 (こかん) - crotch
  • Level 33: 股関節 (こかんせつ) - hip joint
  • Level 42: 拉麺 (らーめん) - ramen
43 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

4 Likes

Thank you Jenny! :high_touch:

2 Likes

Thank you Kumi Jenny!

4 Likes

Interesting additions! いちご is usually written in kana ( いちご instead of ). But it’s still nice to know. (edit: the kanji is often used on product packaging)
The two words using aren’t usually written in kana, justifying the addition.
Kanji count: 2060 (nice round number ^^)

6 Likes

Going to the kanji page it shows that “thick” is the only meaning the kanji has.

3 Likes

Oops, that should read “think”. Thanks for the catch!

1 Like

Thank you Jenny!

Oh I love this one! I too often do this, so will be appreciated!

6 Likes

True, but it’s not hard to find, say, product packaging which uses the kanji. Or ice cream shop menus.

6 Likes

It must have been strawberry season last month because my local JP store had a whole corner dedicated to strawberry snacks and 苺 was everywhere. I’ve been staring as this kanji for years so learned a while ago (not that there was any mystery with a million strawberries on the cover). I don’t care what Jisho says, this one is well used and long overdue.

6 Likes

yeah, not saying is rare, just that いちご is more common, especially when written in text. Maybe not in some store contexts :wink:

This kanji frequency site says it’s most common on Twitter (2126th most common Kanji), least common in books (3469th, Aozora). Maybe it would be even higher in a store data source ^^

2 Likes

I liked finding an 苺 in my lessons last night, very tasty!

10 Likes

Me too! Perfect for Midsummer’s Eve! :grin: :strawberry::strawberry::strawberry:

I loled at 股 - crotch! :joy:

But since we learn a lot of other anatomy, it’s only right that we complete that set of vocab/kanji, imo.

6 Likes

I thought so, and then on my first trip to japan my classy strawberry candy were all 苺ed on the package.

3 Likes

:crescent_moon: :dagger: :eyes:

1 Like

Seems more prevalent with chocolates, maybe they are marketing adults more than children for snacks…but I’m sure kids just figure out the kanji too and doesn’t have to be actively studied.

Here are some examples

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 9.32.32 AM

柚・柚子 (yuzu) is another common example where often written in kana only but the kanji is often used as well and everyone knows it, particularly often written for 柚子胡椒 that is probably in every kitchen in Japan plus a staple Japanese fruit that is used for many things. However, it’s not in the WK library and Aozora puts it at 3286. 辣 is another one as in 辣油 (ラー油) for chili oil, but again the frequency is considered 3086 but definitely can found in any grocery store and if they are selling a product, I’m sure adults know it as well. WK finally added 麺 a few weeks ago, again another 3000 listing but everywhere in grocery stores and definitely known by all.

Then there are some kanji in WK that natives might stumble on so I’ve found I’ve had to make my own priority lists and not entirely trust these frequency lists, just depends what everyone is encountering and the source.

4 Likes

nice examples!
yeah, that’s why i noted that it’s less common particularly in (classical) books. It makes sense that it’s less frequent there, but more frequent in kitchens/stores (a list for that would be interesting). You always have to look at the context of such a frequency list and where the data is from.
(Also, 2126th on twitter indicates a very decent frequency i’d say)

On that note, i just saw the WK description for 拉麺, and it notes that while it’s usually written ラーメン, “You’ll see the kanji version pretty often on packaging and menus, though, so it’s worth knowing!”
Seems like a similar case :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the update!

I see there aren’t any visually similar kanji entered - maybe 母 should be added?

Bug report: The kanji for strawberry has the vocabulary, instead of kanji, color in the meaning explanation on the word “strawberry”

1 Like

I tried… Was hoping for a special pop-up.

14 Likes

Unrelated to this update specifically, but I’m surprised 手裏剣 (しゅりけん) isn’t a word on here. It seems like a very “WaniKani” word.

One of those words I’ve personally never seen written (probably just a consequence of my content preferences surely), but people would enjoy I think.

9 Likes