[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews

@davidsansome this app is awesome. Genuinely awesome. Thank you so much for it. It even works pretty well on the XS Max, which is doubly awesome since it’s native. Cheers :slight_smile:

Is this app still being updated? It became my favorite WK app on iOS real fast and it would be a shame if it stopped being developed already. GitHub and App Store show last activity over a month ago.

I did a bunch of reviews and lessons on tsurukame earlier today, to see how it had changed since I last used it, and they don’t show up as done on the AlliCrab app which is the one I usually use. Is there anything I can do about that?
@davidsansome

Just did reviews on iPad and it did not update my account (WaniKani or iPhone Tsurukame app). Has anyone experienced this?

I restarted and I lost over 150 reviews…is this not iPad compatible? Otherwise, I happy with this app and has been extremely helpful but this is a bit frustrating.

I’ve only experienced this problem once and it was because I changed my password and didn’t update the app. But other than that, it works fine on my iPad.

Are u able to use “Export Local Database” on iPad in the settings window? This crashed everytime I selected it.

That keeps crashing for me, too.

I’m using it on an iPhone 8 Plus and it’s basically not usable because the Japanese kana keyboard suggestion bar covers up the text entry field so I can’t see what I’ve typed. Seems like this would be a common bug?

Got an update to the app today. I’m still seeing the same issue with the kana keyboard. In the screenshot below, I typed いりぐち but you can’t see it in the answer field because the suggestion bar blocks it (and the left most suggestion doesn’t always match what you type, so that’s not reliable).

Is there a specific reason you prefer kana keyboard as opposed to romaji? I’ve have an 8 plus and it works just fine with romaji. Given most people use a conventional desktop keyboard and were not exposed to pre-smartphone era Japanese cellphones, it’s curious why to start with one. Thought this link was an interesting survey.

• because I don’t like to think about Japanese words as romaji.
  • it’s quicker to type Japanese on kana keyboard.
  • having the Romaji keyboard installed is confusing because it looks similar to the English keyboard, so I end up often typing in the “wrong” language because I don’t immediately realize which keyboard I’m on. If I have to switch keyboards, I might as well use the ones that I want.

It does seem strange that an app for learning Japanese has such a show-stopping problem with the Kana keyboard. I hope it gets fixed.

To each their own. Given you have to write English 50% of the time, it seems inconvenient to switch all the time as opposed to keeping an English keyboard and letting WK switch when necessary (you don’t have to install or switch anything). I know there are some speed champions on kana but I would only personally use it if I have one hand to type with (much like the classic cellphones).

I wouldn’t recommend anyone to use an iphone alone for WK either once you have a lot reviews coming your way. Eye stress can catch up easily.

I just wanted to thank you for making this app. It by far the best app for WaniKani. I find it easier and faster to do my reviews on Tsurukame then on the wanikani site (without use of scripts). I also i love the force feedback on correct reviews, it makes it rewarding when you get clear you review item. Thanks again!

I realize WK will switch automatically, but I still have to have two keyboards installed anyway for everything else on my phone because I do type in hiragana and katakana often… so…

And doesn’t basically every Japanese learning resource say “Do not get used to typing or writing Japanese using romaji, it will only hinder your ability to learn the language!”

I have the same problem as I use the japanese keyboard on an iPhone SE. I chose to use the kana input as it feels I"m more immersed in japanese as I do so, and it teaches me how to use the japanese input on a small screen. I"ve stopped using Tsurukame because of this and because of a bug: sometimes I input the right answer in kana and it is not recognised as such.

I’ve been facing the same issue recently. I’d like to use the kana keyboard too on my mobile :slight_smile:

PS: The app is wonderful, I had an extremely positive experience so far, just because this offline feature is so awesome and useful!

Has anyone else had issues with reviews done on the app not updating to the main site? My tsurukame reviews haven’t updated on WaniKani for the past 3 days. I’ve guru’d all the kanji on my current level on tsurukame and reeeaaaally don’t want to spend another week going through it again :sob:

I can’t say I’ve experienced this. It’s worked flawlessly for me.

It used to work fine for me up until a few days ago, something must’ve happened recently at either end :thinking:

I’m on vacation without easy computer access and I’ve done all my reviews for the last few days on the Tsurukame app. I checked my computer for WaniKani and saw that the over 300 reviews I did yesterday weren’t counted and I really do not want to redo them all and be another day behind. Is there any way I can get the app data to sync with the regular WaniKani?