[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews

The blue bars are how many reviews are due on that time (the one marked below), the purple line is the total you’d have if you don’t do any review until that time. You can see how the purple line only goes up, by the amount of the blue line.

In your example you can see how the purple line starts from 15 (between 10 and 20 on the y), and keeps growing by the amount indicated on top of the blue bars.

1 Like

@Walter-it Thank you so much. The mystery has been solved! I like to be able to do wanikani throughout the day rather than a large amount at once. Now I understand how this chart should look if I’m on top of my lessons. Keep the purple bar low and lookout for times when there’s a large amount of reviews coming my way.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

No problem, happy to help :wink:

1 Like

So i tried this app and it’s really amazing. But there’s small thing that unfortunately makes it unusable: the some kanjis/radicals look completely different so it’s impossible to recognize them! Is there a way to use the normal fonts?

You can choose the fonts you wish to use in the settings for the app.

I was talking about this: Which of these is the correct version for 令?

But it’s ok now, im enjoying the app!

@xschuesslerx I had the same questions as you so thanks for asking them :slight_smile: and thanks @Walter-it for your very clear explanations!

1 Like

I have 130 reviews that dont seem to upload to wanikani even after refreshing multiple times. Is the app still being updated?

1 Like

I have the same issue. My reviews are not being uploaded (it says they will be uploaded “when you’re back online”). The app is definitely connected because when I did more lessons on desktop, then refreshed the app, the app showed the updated lessons count after refreshing.

It’s a shame that it isn’t working because it is actually my favorite WK app to do reviews on. :confused: Would appreciate any help people may have! :relaxed:

I’ve been using your app for a couple of months now and it’s been extremely useful. Thanks for making this app :).

The only thing it lacks for me (and thus I sometimes have to do WaniKani the PC) is Lesson ordering settings. You can configure review order, but not learning order, and I always learn grammar over new kanji.

The UI and charts on main page are understandable enough for me and I never had any problems with uploading the reviews.

1 Like

I have this sometimes but restarting the app always fixes the problem for me (killing the suspended state).

2 Likes

I use an iPhone, so do you mean double-tapping the home button and sliding the app up? I’ve tried doing that with no success. I’ll try deleting and re-installing the app and see if that works, though.

Edit: re-installed it and now it’s working fine!

Yeah that’s what I meant. Glad it’s working now!

Loving use of the app as always. No syncing errors from me as of yet, thankfully.

My small thing that doesn’t seem like it’s updating properly are the newly added Kanji/vocab in the most recent update. At level 23 here, I have 3 kanji I can only review on the site instead of in app, and suspect the same will remain true for vocab.

There’s also an upcoming similar update, so I’m wondering if this is a me only minor nitpick thing, or worth addressing.

5 Likes

I think the app requires a periodic sync with wanikani to get the latest updates so we will only get it in the app if the author has time to do it. I absolutely love this app and can’t imagine doing my reviews without it on the go so really hope there will be a content update soon.

2 Likes

I was wondering about this. @davidsansome hasn’t been around in a while. I did try through github as well. I was wondering if he might pass on maintainable to someone else or open source the code so someone else could build on it.

(NB I’m not volunteering, I sadly don’t have the skills)

Tsurukame’s item list is static and not dynamically and regularly fetched from WK. That’s why when WK introduces new items (kanji, vocabs), they will not show up on Tsurukame until the owner actively downloads those items and sync the other items to WK for other changes (typo fixes, level changes, radical name changes, etc.)

I think he is still maintaining the app, if you have a look on Github there is some recent activity on the app by him, like writing some code etc. I am sure he’ll release an update at some point.

3 Likes

After I do lessons offline with Tsurukame, instead of advancing (to “Novice”), they show a different kind of Locked. Can you please fix this?
(The bottom ones were the lessons I just did)

Edit: This was the locked items issue. :angry:

AlliCrab has announced that it will have offline reviewing in 4.0. It’s currently on beta 3.1.90, but it will be an alternative.

Edit: 4.0 will never be released. Further development of AlliCrab has ceased.

4 Likes