If I pass N1, then take it again and fail

If someone passes N1, say this year, then takes it again and fails, does it in anyway void or nullify your first pass?

I want to continue taking the test twice yearly, if for nothing else, just to continue studying. I don’t think I have anything new to learn to be honest as related to JLPT grammar etc. But my memory is terrible and I want to keep drilling them so that I can get them.

I would say the Japanese I can comprehend, vs the Japanese I can use that is “mine” is massively different. The words I use in speech are sooooo much more limited than what I can comprehend for the exam. I hate this and want to change it because I feel like an imposter.

Anyway just wondering your guys thoughts on what I have said and also if I can still “count” my pass even if I fail subsequent tests.

4 Likes

I would definitely still count my pass, even if I failed the summer JLPT.
And you already have your certificate stating that you passed N1, I don’t think there’s a way they could somehow nullify that.

I can relate :smiley: I am still somewhat embarrassed to tell people I passed N1 because my speaking and writing is so limited, and I am so bad at grammar nuances or explaining certain grammar points.
I’ll probably also take the N1 maybe a third time next year, simply because I like standardized tests.

9 Likes

The certificates don’t expire, as far as I know. No one will ask for all your results.

4 Likes

The certificate itself doesn’t expire, but universities will ask for a certificate that is 2 or 3 years old or less (depends on the university). That’s only if you want to register somewhere that doesn’t have an English program, though.
As far as I am concerned, I was never asked when I got my N1 during job interviews. I guess they may if the interviewee’s Japanese level isn’t on par? But that’s about it.

5 Likes

I was curious about that too, but apparently I got nothing to worry about on that front.

2 Likes

Sure, any institution could set their own restrictions on what they accept.

My point was mostly that it’s not like, say, school transcripts, where you’d be risking getting found out for not sharing all the records.

6 Likes

You mean the Japanese government doesn’t storm your home and demand back your old certificate if you fail the next time?

11 Likes

Possibly it’s more the question of whether there’s a centralised database of who’s passed what.

Pretty sure the answer to that is “no”.

4 Likes

If you fail your pass still counts right? Lol. I don’t want the ministry of education or JEES to somehow cancel my pass (if I pass this summer 2019 test /praying)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.