I just got to Honor and Glory

I don’t know who or what is Chik-Fil-A so I cannot help you :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Wait…this isn’t a reference to the 1993 Cynthia Rothrock movie? https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1249931924459720704?s=21

1 Like

That’s how I remember it too! I always imagine Zuko yelling " for honor" :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I remember reading somewhere on WaniKani forums a good way to remember the two is:

光栄 “light” comes before the one “prospering” when they are being bestowed honor.
栄光 “light” comes after the one “prospering” when they’re thinking back on their glory days.

3 Likes

Exactly the same way I remember it! You see the light first, and then your hear Zuko shout “Hooooooooonooooooooor!”

2 Likes

Oh wow. Chik-Fil-A is a super popular chicken sandwich chain in the US. They don’t do business outside the US for some weird reason and close on Sundays because of their founder’s religious beliefs or some such.

They don’t (or can’t) say “okay, cool, dope, thanks, alrighty” or anything like that to end your order. It’s always “My pleasure/It was my pleasure”.

You are a genius. Thank you.

1 Like

Oh, okay. I guess they are saying 「ありがたき幸せ」 then :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t remember what I’ve watched but this has been etched into my mind even before I started learning Japanese seriously. It’s in many places but I always imagine Escanor from Seven Deadly Sins saying it.

1 Like

omg this is amazing

1 Like

me failing to pronounce 写す the first sixty times

2 Likes

That’s similar to how I remembered it, except for me it’s that 光 is hikari=H->honor. But then you have to remember it isn’t hikari in that word but rather the onyomi. I don’t really recommend remembering it my way.

4 Likes

Like 会議 and 議会.

3 Likes

This is SO helpful! I’ve been struggling with these two meanings, but this is the perfect way of remembering for me. THANK YOU!

3 Likes

Kind of a specific example, but the tagline for NieR: Automata is 人類に栄光あれ (“Glory to Mankind”), and I hung out with that crowd for a long enough time that it immediately comes to mind when I see or hear 栄光.

This was my trick too, but now it just sort of happens in reverse where I’ll see or hear the word “honor” and the phrase pops up in my head :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’m never going to forget this, thank you. :joy:

1 Like

Wow i’d completely forgotten these, i think maybe I repressed the memory of their existence after getting them wrong soo often :rofl: time to unburn them i guess… rip!

I have been waiting my whole life for this moment. This is it.

I just remember that I learned 光 before 栄 on WK, and the phrase is “honor and glory” so, if 光 has to come first that means 光栄 is honor and 栄光 is glory.

1 Like

well, my trick is “ko” from 光栄 and “ho” from honor rhymes - works for me perfectly :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, that’s genius, hopefully this will fix these two for me. My worst pair of similar vocab before this was 上げる and 上がる. I only just got around it a few weeks ago with a mnemonic that makes more sense for me.

In the Persona games, wind attacks are called/prefixed with ‘garu’, so my new mnemonic is that the wind (garu) rises, it is not raised by something. I might actually have a chance to get these to enlightened now.

1 Like