How do you deal with "reversed" kanji pairs?

I know how 栄光/光栄 is infamous, and 理論/論理 is the same deal. What’s your way of dealing with these?

I’ve used phonetic mnemonics and it’s gone swimmingly. 栄光 was about the ECHO of past GLORY, while 論理 is about how facts and LOGIC makes you LONELY. You only need one mnemonic to recognize the other, because it’s the one that doesn’t fit the memorized reading. I think it’s a really good method and wanted to share it.

5 Likes

for 木材 and 材木, i’ve done this: 木材 is wood that will be made into lumber, 材木 is lumber that used to be wood

6 Likes

That’s a good one. I remember reading that the left part of the vocab modified the right and that’s helped me a good deal. Though I tend to forget.

1 Like

Good ideas all around. Due to being an auditory learner, phonetic mnemonics are a must for me.

Ultimately, whatever is most memorable to you personally is going to yield the best results! A lot of the WaniKani mnemonics are excellent, but on troublesome vocabulary, a self-curated phonetic mnemonic can be the best cure for what ails ye.

4 Likes

The only ones I have dealt with thus far are 会社 (company) and 社会 (society). Items that usually have to do with a company have the 社 as the second kanji.

2 Likes

For 栄光 and 光栄, I did the following:

The one that starts with a consonant in Japanese, that is, 光栄, starts with a vowel (sound) in English, that is, honor.

The one that starts with a vowel in Japanese, that is, 栄光, starts with a consonant in English, that is, glory.

2 Likes

since im not up to that, idk if this will be too helpful but for something like queen and princess vocabs which I have gotten, I recognize queen as queen because the queen is more important than the princess, so the woman part comes first. The princess being less important has woman come afterwards.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.