How much time per day on average do you spend doing WaniKani?

About an hour I think, though spread out throughout the day. I do a maximum of 30 vocab lessons a day separated in three sessions of 10, sometimes slightly more if a session is radicals or the second half of kanjis needed for the level up =)
I have around 100-150 reviews on “next day” at all times, which is probably less than I do since I always have those new items of the day that gets repeated a few times. But would think about 200 reviews at best. Since I do the reviews in a timely mater they are all fresh in memory, or at the right spot according to srs, so I still remember them and they just fly by in a mater of very few minutes.

First time around I did bulk lessons of 100+, returning in just as huge bulks in reviews, ended up collecting dust in reviews before taken, and thus failed a lot of them , went slower and most returned in a few hours as they got bumped down. Had to reset from lvl 19. Doing bulks I ended up spending all day on it it felt like, got much less from it and generally learned very little. Doing a few at a time and always being on top of reviews means spending much less time and learning a whole lot more =)

2 Likes

I try to get on WK at least three times a day, once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and then once before I go to bed. And I try to knock out all of my reviews and a “quota” of lessons per day depending on how many have built up due to my laziness. That doesn’t always happen the way I plan due to school and work, etc. But I usually spend maybe about 2-3 on the program every day.

1 Like

Probably only half an hour to an hour on most days, although on days like today where I leveled up, maybe up to 2 hours, with all the new lessons and reviews.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe about an hour per day for 5 days of the week, doing reviews here and there throughout the day.
Sunday and Thursday are when I unlock new lessons in bulk, so it takes extra time to work through those and the additional reviews they generate, so add another hour.

1 Like

It feels like longer but maybe an hour or so a day. Yesterday at 10AM I had only 2 reviews so thought it was going to be a light day. Didn’t check again and by 10PM I had 235!! Took an hour or so to fly through them.

1 Like

How much many times per day? Or, how long a time per day / grand total per day / per session?

After I had [Userscript]: WaniKani Ultimate Timeline on, I usually do only 1-2 times per day. 30-60 min per session, I think.

However, I always spend forever on WaniKani Community.

3 Likes

I’ve decided on focusing on other things than WK again, so right now I spend about 10-15 minutes per day to review what items I’ve already added. It feels kind of refreshing.

1 Like

I’m trying to hit Level 12 by the new year; hoping it’s not too ridiculous of a goal.

I do around 45 minutes in work and and another 45 minutes or so in the evening. It’s usually enough to clear any reviews or lessons.

Although I’ve certainly felt like I’m forgetting more than I’m remembering these days…

1 Like

I’ve had a bunch of things shaking up my personal life and I’m thinking of switching over to team slow for a few months, probably at a pace of 10-12 days per level. If any of you guys match that would you mind filling in me on the size of your daily review queues?

If by “ridiculous” you mean unattainable, then absolutely not. You could get to 12 before the second week of October :slight_smile:. At my fourteen-days-per-level pace, it would be at the start of November, and I’m going “slow” by choice.

You can try doing KaniWani, too. Work those recall muscles in addition to your recognition :slight_smile:

Just joined WaniKani, and am a newbie to Japanese. It seems 2 hours is the average. Is this just learning kanji? I’d like to learn Kanji, but spending two hours on that alone may hinder any other progress (I would like to focus on conversation and listening). Should my goal should be one hour WK one hour Genki per day? Or does WaniKani include vocab?

It`s not common to spend two hours per day on WaniKani. I sometimes do it if I level up and do all 100+ new lessons on the same day, but I haven’t been doing that. Once you’re past level 5 or so, you will spend maybe 30 minutes/day on reviews, but you can do them little by little on pockets of free time throughout the day, you don’t have to allot haf an hour of your leisure time for reviews. You can do them on your phone. Lessons will take you a little longer, and it is better to sit down and do them carefully, but even if you go at the fastest possible pace you will only unlock new lessons every 3 or 4 days.

Your accuracy also greatly affects your workload - if you keep getting items wrong, they’ll keep showing up for reviews more often. Pay attention to your lessons and get them right, it pays off. Also search the forums for the override script, it will avoid being held back because of typos - but don’t abuse it.

WaniKani requires a significant time investment, but it pays off. Search the forums for the resources thread, there’s plenty to do while you’re waiting for reviews during the first few levels.

2 Likes

Anywhere from 2-3 hours a day it seems. For whatever reason, the kanji readings are not coming to me very fast when doing vocab. So I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to recall the same mnemonics over and over. This is probably a consequence of not knowing the vocab ahead of time, so struggling with two things at once. What is reading? Do all the readings make the right word? I think not keeping up on KW is compounding this problem. According to the stats site, my reading error rate is 3x-4x my meaning error rate.

Turns out I really don’t much enjoy a 150 review at the end of day, which happens when I’m too busy in the morning or at work to peck away at reviews. Getting home at night, after an extended day, thinking “omg, this is gonna suck” is not the attitude I want to have. I’m fastidious about ending the day with the review queue at 0.

I find myself wishing I didn’t have to work, so I could focus on studying instead. This is silly of course, as work is practically far more important. The positive is that weekends are a blast, as I feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction at having sufficient time/attention to do WK, other 日本語 studies, and listen to the week’s Coursera lectures at 1.5x speed and finish the assignments by the deadline. The negative is the weekend is over too fast, without a day of mostly rest.

Thanks guys, I seem to level around the 12 day mark; but this is mainly cause of silly mistakes. Fingers crossed I hit my goal!

I spend about an hour or so doing reviews/lessons per day. Not more. Because I have a job/life/other interests and I can’t spend all my time on WK at all hours of the day/night. And because of that, I’m going very slowly by choice.I only do about 10 lessons per day, though.

1 Like

Zero minutes. It’s not something I’m really focusing on at the moment. I’m currently debating whether to just charge on to 60 or go back to 1 and use it to teach myself to write.

If you are almost level 60 / beyond level 51, I would generally recommend Heisig’s RTK; which teaches radicals better, therefore better for writing.

1 Like

About an hour. I was spending more, but that left no time for studying grammar, listening, etc. Now I spend an hour or more on those also.

1 Like

I’m only at level 2 because I just started so clearing all the reviews I get in a day takes like 20 min max

1 Like