How do you picture Mrs. Chou?

I’ve recently been introduced to Mrs. Chou:

So you’re walking down this street, and off in the distance you see the silhouette of somebody. A lady. Big, black curly hair and red eyes. It is the street-woman, Mrs. Chou (ちょう).
In general, she’s a mean, evil woman, so as long as you imagine her within those parameters, you’re good. And, when I say she is a “street-woman” in the mnemonic, I don’t mean she is homeless. She has a nice, middle-class home that’s not outside of her financial means. What I’m saying is she wanders the streets looking for evil things to do. These are HER streets. So whenever you see the street radical, know that Mrs. Chou is probably going to show up!

I would like to know if some character from an Anime or TV film comes to your mind with this description. (Please include pictures if you can!)

10 Likes

Maria from courage the cowardly dog, is my Mrs. Chou

22 Likes

She doesn’t match the physical description, hair colour aside, but the phrase ‘HER streets’ made me think of this character: Zenigata Mawari from Seto no Hanayome (My Bride is a Mermaid), which is an anime I’m watching now. Her father is a police officer; she’s a school discipline committee member. She’s always running around going 「巡が 社会のルールを教えてあげようか!」(‘Shall Mawari teach you the rules of society?’) And yes, her name is a pun on おまわりさん=someone who goes around patrolling i.e. a police officer:

6 Likes

For me, she’s basically Mrs Cosmopolite:

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/The_Way_of_Mrs._Cosmopilite

No pic because it’s really only in my head but the mental image is strong from reading Pratchett so many times.

5 Likes

As a very bitter elderly woman who leads an organized crime family. She walks with a cane and sends her goons to attack anyone who crosses her streets. I’m struggling to think up any exact matches though, I’ll see if I can find any characters that match the description.

7 Likes

got no mental pic for mrs chou because the exploding bird took over… all i see is a flurry of feathers…

8 Likes

She materialises in my mind as a slightly old Asian woman with shoulder length black/greying hair, large round glasses, a red beret and long light brown trench coat. Black tights and ankle high black boots. I didn’t create her, she commandeerd my character creation screen and I’m scared

5 Likes

How do you picture Mrs. Chou?

Like an old-fashioned stereotypical middle-aged Japanese woman! :joy: And I’m pretty sure this is her: :eyes:

31 Likes

For some reason, in my mind she is stout, middle-aged, and has very short black straight hair with bangs. This hairstyle, but not this face:

I had totally forgotten about the red eyes in the description. My Mrs. Chou has brown eyes.

6 Likes

Also, in case of interest :eyes:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/can-you-draw-your-mrs-chou-walking-down-the-street/41238

https://community.wanikani.com/t/mrs-chou-sightings/16871/32

7 Likes

I thought it was this

Untitled

37 Likes

I think mrs Chou has snake eyes and a forked tongue. I imagine her wearing a big coat and walking around the street being a nuisance.

4 Likes

She’s… very long.

25 Likes

She’s more of an idea than a clear image. Mean, nasty old woman. Supernatural. She’s overlaid with a crow-like spirit so she’s got kind of this black feathery aura, or something. Also because she’s spirity she can stretch out her clawed limbs to grab you from across the street, or move and distort like a shadow.

Very nice ideas folks!

While reading your messages it came from the back of my mind Etsuko The Obatarian from Yakuza 0.

14 Likes

58 Likes

Yep, was gunna say her. Fits my mental image to a t.

4 Likes

Which film is this? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Gah! Beat me to it!

2 Likes

Kung Fu Hustle I think… Great movie!

5 Likes