Happiness Week 5 - Absolute Beginners Book Club

Happiness Book Club - Week 5

Chapter 3 (part 1) ・ Pages 87-111

Start Date: April 2nd
Week 4: Link
Week 6: Link
Home page: Link

We’re reading volume 1 of this manga as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

Vocabulary Sheet

Building the vocab spreadsheet for the book is a joint project and everyone is welcome to contribute. Please read the instructions on the first page if you are doing this for the first time.

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: texthere
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!
Page numbers for ebook readers

The page numbers quoted by ebook readers often don’t match the print version of the book. This is usually because they count the front cover and inside front cover as pages 1 and 2.

We’ll be using the original page numbering from the print version. These will be found on the bottom corner of some (but not all) pages in the digital version.

Often subtracting 2 from the “ebook reader page” will give the equivalent “print version page” but you’ll need to check your edition.

Participation poll

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion, please select ‘yes’!

4 Likes

So, I tried to write a translation as well. I have a few questions inside there but I will also list them below.

Poor Okazagi is really getting worn down by the symptoms of vampirism. I hope he gets some blood soon but I also hope no one gets hurt :face_holding_back_tears:.

Translation

p. 87

Good morning.
Morning!

p. 88

chatter chatter

p. 89

shiver
Some guy: Okazagi!

p. 90

rough
Some guy: Heyyyy
Okazagi: Huh
Some guy: Okazagi, you aren’t a loser after all.
Some guy: I heard you punched Yuuki hard… you did, right?
Okazagi: umm… it’s different… soo

p. 91

Okazagi: Haha-
Some guy: Why are you so tense?
Okazagi: Hahaha…
Some guy: Okazagiii!
Okazagi: Wait a mo- Reallyy

p. 93

surpressed laughter

p. 94

Hahaha
Fufufu
laughter
Okazagi: Ah… Um… I’m… sorry…

p. 95

Nao: Ah… Good morning, Yuuki. Are you okay?

p. 96

Yuuki: Shut up.
noise

p. 97

Another guy: Hey, hey. Yuukii!
Another guy: Soo. How about you eat lunch with us?

So, I think 昼メッis a shortening of 昼飯 (hirumeshi) meaning lunch. Is that correct?

p. 98

Yuuki: …huh? Why do you ask me that? I don’t know anything about you guyses meal.
Yuuki: NAO!
Nao: Mh?
Yuuki: Let’s go!
Nao: …huh? Where to?
Yuuki: To buy bread!

p. 99

Nao: Oh…
Nunota: Okazagi!

p. 100

Nunota: Okazagi… did you see that? Did you see that just now?
Nunota: That guy went to get his own bread! So lame! Hahaha! … serves him right!

p. 101

Nunota: Okazaki! You’re awesome, you know that? You are blessed! You’re my hero. Please give me a handshake!
Okazagi: … Nunota, stop.

p. 102

Okazagi: It’s not like that. I’m not like that.
Okazagi: It has been weird… I must have become strange…
Flashback Okazagi: I want to taste it, I want to taste it, I want to taste it.

“I must have become strange” sounds a bit weird. I thought that the “cha” means something like “must”, does this translation work?

p. 103

Flashback Vampire Girl: Do you want to become like me?
Nunota: Okazagi… What’s up? Are you okay? I could discuss it with you if it would be good for you? *1
Okazagi: Nunota… I am… I am…

*1 is 相談に乗る a fixed expression and does it mean something like “give advice”?

p. 104

Nunota: Okazagi? Okazagiiiiiiii

p. 105

Okazagi: Uh… Uhhhh…

p. 106

Nunota: Okazagi!? What’s wrong?
Okazagi: I just… feel a little sick… I will go … to the school infirmary…
Nunota: Uhh… We will go together!

p. 107

Okazagi: Don’t come (with me).

p. 108

Okazagi: breathing intensifies

p. 109

Some girl: What’s that?
Some girl 2: Scaryy
breathing intensifies
Thoughts: It’s not possible… There aren’t any people… It’s a place where there is no one…

*2 what does んむっ mean here; is it the thump into the wall or is it Okazagi’s retching?

p. 110

breathing intensifies

p. 111

you can guess

Questions (I edited in the answer given by others, thanks guys!)

1. So, I think 昼メッ (p. 97) is a shortening of 昼飯 (hirumeshi) meaning lunch. Is that correct?
    Answer: I’m stupid. It’s not a “tsu” but a “shi” character so it definitely reads “hirumeshi” (but why in katakana?!). Credit: polv
  2. “I must have become strange” (p.102) sounds a bit weird. I thought that the “cha” means something like “must”, does this translation work?
    Answer: ちゃった is the shortening of しまった, so it’s more like “I ended up becoming strange”. Credit: omk3
  3. Is 相談に乗る (p.103) a fixed expression and does it mean something like “give advice”?
    Answer: “I believe the 乗る part has the meaning of “to take part in” in this context while 相談 is a discussion or consultation giving the phrase a meaning similar to do you want to talk about it/ do you want to consult with me.” Credit: Andasa
  4. What does んむっ mean (p. 109); is it the thump into the wall or is it Okazagi’s retching?
    Answer: “Probably retching.” Credit: polv

Thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it! o(^@^)o

4 Likes

昼メシ? You know, the stroke directions are just different, particularly, the third one.

相談に乗る appears to be in Jisho, and can searched further in ALC.

んむっ sounds like retching.

1 Like

I feel pretty stupid, why did I think it was a “tsu”? Probably because it looked like a small one and I haven’t really seen any small “shi”.

Thank you for your other answers as well. I already found 相談に乗る on Jisho but wasn’t sure if it had the right meaning for this situtation.

I got my mangas this week and have caught up (including this part)
I’m glad I bought the set, I’m loving it so far!
I’m not sure I can hold back… I might read a head, cause it is just so hard to wait!

2 Likes

おかしくなっちゃった is a contraction of おかしくなってしまった. しまう is an auxiliary verb that gives the sense of something ending up (often unintentionally) in a specific state. So something like “I ended up becoming strange”.

6 Likes

I haven’t started this chapter yet (well, I looked at all the pictures…) But I’ve caught up :slight_smile:
I started with the club, but got off track. I read weeks 2, 3 and half of 4 last weekend. And I just finished chapter 2.
I guess there’s not a lot of text, but I feel like I’m understanding quite a bit. I’m following the story, anyway.

Thanks for the vocab sheets guys!!
I’m leaning on them heavily! (And I’m not confident, or quick enough, to add anything myself).

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your translation again. I hope you don’t mind me suggesting alternatives where I’ve disagreed with you? I’m not trying to be clever, only helpful - and if others think I’m wrong please let me know :+1:

P99 昼メシどうする…?
I read this as “what shall we do about lunch?”. (As in, are we going to bully someone into going to buy it for us like normal or do something else).

p101 きみのおかげだ
I read this as ”It’s thanks to you!”

おかげで - thanks to…

The chapter title is 葛藤 meaning "conflict". I was surprised how the kanji for kudzu (a type of vine) and wisteria (another climbing plant) come to mean conflict. According to https://www.wordsense.eu/葛藤/ the origin is from the tendency of the vines of kudzu and rattan to become entangled.
12 Likes

Fill in the vocab sheet then :wink:

1 Like

No, of course not! I only posted it because I know I haven’t got everything right and I’m still learning.

That makes much more sense! I thought I had translated something incorrectly… Then it’s even greater that Yuuki went to get food on his own!

Ahh… I was aware of that construction but couldn’t connect the dots.

That’s some really interesting etymology!

Thanks for your help, it was very useful!

4 Likes

First book club reading of spring the spring challenge!

Here I go translating again

p89:

Good morning!
Good morning!

Thrilling start

p91:

Okazaki!

p92:

Okazaki~. You aren’t the usual slob, huh?
I heard you’ve hit Yuuki real hard, didn’t you?

No… not really
I could never

p93:

Aha…!

What are you worried about?
Ah
Haha
Stop!
Okazakiii~

Stop
Please

p96:

Haha!
*muffled snicker*

Ah
Uhm
I’m… sorry

p97:

Ah, Yuuki, good morning.
How are you doing?

p98:

Shut up

p99:

Yuuki!
Hey
Up for lunch?

p100:

Huh?
Why are you asking me that?

I don’t care about your lunch.

Nao!

Hmm?
Let’s go!

Eh?
Where to?

To buy some bread

知らねーよおまえらのメシのことなんか
is a bit beyond me. I translated it as a quite negative sentence because deepl translates it as such as well. Is it because of おまえ and なんか? Or just that しらねー is a very “don’t give a s***” kind of way to say しらない?

p101:

…Okazaki-kun!

p102:

Okazaki-kun… did you see that?
Did you see that just now?

That bastard went to buy himself bread.
So lame! Ahahah! Serves him right!

p103:

Okazaki-kun! You are awesome!
It’s because of you!
You are my hero!
Please shake my hand!

Nunota-kun
Stop it

p104:

It’s not like that
I’m not like that

I’m strange… I turned into something strange
I might be ill

I want to taste it x 3

p105:

Will you be just like me? (I’m reasonably sure I’ve seen this line 3 times already and I translated it in 3 different ways)

Okazaki-kun…
What’s wrong? Are you feeling alright? I can take you to a consultation if that’s alright for you (awkward translation)

Nunota-kun…

I’m… I’m…

p106:

Okazaki-kun?
Okaaaazaakiii-kuuun

p107:

Uh…
Uuuuhh…

p108:

Okazaki-kun?!
What’s wrong?

I’m just not feeling too well
I’ll go to the nurse

Ah
I’ll go with you!

p109:

Don’t come

p111:

*I assume somewhat like vomit sounds*

Huh?
Scary…

Crap
Noone’s here
Theres’s noone here (lit. A place with nobody in it)

This part was quite easy in terms of reading. There were several pages with no lines on them or barely any.

2 Likes

:heartbeat: This is called pre-reading. :wink: I do it, too, because it totally helps me as a complete beginner. (Remember when you were a kid learning your first language and doing things like phonics/pronunciation of keywords and looking at the pictures in books before you read them, whether in a group or by yourself? Yeah, this is legitimate work to contextualize the reading.)

9 Likes

Wow these sections really fly by! Things are starting to get more interesting!

I didn’t really care for how the friend was acting, now feeling all superior and stuff. But nothing too crazy I guess, for someone that was bullied for a while himself. It seems like Okazaki-kun feels more upset about the situation. Understandably as it was out of character for him and also he is now struggling with the new thirst for blood it seems.
Definitely interested in what set off Okazaki-kun’s hallucinations (?) at the end.
It’s always so tempting to read ahead, though I know I have other stuff I should be catching up on haha.

Wow, I only had three things I looked up this week!
Though, I suppose there also wasn’t too much text haha.

ヘタレ, ぶんなぐる (ぶん殴る), ざまあみろ
I have heard 殴る before, just not with the ぶん added to the beginning.

2 Likes

Looked up in the dictionary just now. It really is 打っ series, rather than 分.

1 Like

I’m glad that Okazaki’s not participating in any of those Yuuki-mocking-fest but oof, I’m worried that he will start drifting apart from Nunota. Must have been hard for Nunota to recover from being told not to tag along, let alone a rejected handshake-- haha

Regarding this line on page 104:

病気びょうきなのかもしれない

I recently learnt the grammar for かもしれない, so I know 病気かもしれない can work as a sentence. But the なの threw me off a bit. Can anyone point me to what sort of grammar or nuance that なの is doing there?

2 Likes

As a massive horror fan I am finding the build up to what’s happening super interesting. So glad I joined this book group.

4 Likes

This is the explanatory の. 病気かもしれない would mean “it may be a disease/I may be ill”, whereas 病気なのかもしれない would mean “it may be that it’s a disease/it may be that it’s (because) I’m ill” The difference is slight, especially in English, but the explanatory の is used a lot in Japanese. We can’t have the copula だ before の, so it takes its connective form な. So 病気だ becomes 病気なのだ with explanatory の, and 病気かもしれない becomes 病気なのかもしれない.

From the Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns on かもしれない:

Sometimes used in the form of のかもしれない, which consists of かもしれない combined with のだ.

14 Likes

Can I just say the vocab sheet is absolutely on point! Thank you!

5 Likes

Really helped me on the last book club where sometimes the context wasn’t readily apparent until later in the chapter.

1 Like

So many pages of just panting… あっ。。はっ。。あっ。。はっ。。

4 Likes