Happiness Week 5 - Absolute Beginners Book Club

I was enjoying reading too much, and forgot to keep an eye on the page numbers so I accidentally read the whole chapter :sweat_smile:
It’s really getting interesting now!

5 Likes

I just finished chapter 3 (yes, all of it :sweat_smile:). Regarding the first half I have one question left:

Page 105

僕でよければ相談に乗るよ. I translate this as If it’s alright with you, I give you advice. I was wondering if that is just a japanese way to word “you can talk to me”. Because on the previous page Okazaki simply stated that he ended up strange, so what kind of advice would Nunota have for that?

Thanks!

6 Likes

Yes, that’s how I read it. Okazaki is saying he’s become strange, maybe he is sick. And his friend is offering to try and give some advice if Okazaki wants to tell him more.

7 Likes

I like v much the style of what they are wearing. - okazaki has the duffel- type coat, which looks kinda retro / endearing. Whereas bust-nose-guy has the expensive looking fur trimmed coat - which frames his face and has a stylish shape. Just from the styles of the two boys, if you asked me which was most vampirey, I would immediately think: the bully. Its a nice contrast of styles.

7 Likes

I just wanted to thank you guys for suggesting this book and making this book club happen
It’s the first time for me reading Japanese feels kinda easy (like… without any help, just me and the manga itself) and this is an absolutely amazing feeling, I tell you!
It’s like… all the work I put into learning this language finally pays off
at least a little - I mean of course there’s still a lot to learn and I don’t understand 100% but it feels like reading more than anything else (maybe someone gets what I’m trying to say :see_no_evil::sweat_smile:)
So I guess that’s also the reason why I’m not really writing anything here as I wouldn’t really know what to and I read up to (and through) Ch.3 some time last week or the week before that :see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

still reading along and hoping everybody else is enjoying it just as much :hugs::hugs:

8 Likes

I get the terrible feeling that Nunota is going down a dark road. I think he had a lot of internalized anger beforehand, that Okazaki just kind of gleamed over because he was used to nodding along with his friend, rather than directly engaging. Feels like perhaps Okazaki’s unpredictable behavior has sparked a particular intrigue in Nunota, who may continue to further glorify and celebrate this kind of thing, further upsetting Okazaki.

Either way, Okazaki looks deeply troubled by the harm he has caused. Something’s got to give eventually, and there’s a small part of me wondering if the extra stress Nunota is putting on him, will make him the first victim.

Either way, has been an interesting read! This chapter was nice and simple. Will come back and analyze it a little more closely later.

8 Likes

I had two places where I’m not sure I agree with the vocab sheet but I don’t feel confident enough yet to make changes.

1. Page 92: 岡崎ーおまえただのヘタレじゃなかったんだな. ただ on the vocab sheet is “ordinary”, which would make me translate this as Okazaki you weren’t an ordinary loser, but I also saw on Jisho that ただ could mean “just”, which would be instead Okazaki you weren’t just a loser
  2. Page 103: きみのおかげだ! The vocab sheet has おかげで as “thank to…” but that’s a typo. I wonder if what is meant here is instead おかげ with the だ particle, and for おかげ Jisho offers definitions “grace (of God);” or “assistance”, which offers a vagueness that I find interesting and frustrating (is Nunota calling Okazaki a God)?

Do others agree with this understanding?

I agree that this ヘタレ is probably refering to the terms loser, wuss or weakling.

おかげで is simply おかげ + the particle で. While this probably has its roots in the “blessing” meaning, it’s very common to use both おかげで and おかげだ to express that something good has happened as an effect of something/someone else. Examples:

The difference between おかげで and おかげだ is merely grammatical. おかげで means “it’s thanks to (someone/something) that” where a following sentence is expected to explain what exactly the thanks is for. While おかげだ simply means “it’s thanks to (someone/something).”

So I don’t think this has some extra meaning deifying Okazaki in any way.

6 Likes

Almost went overboard with reading. Looks like things are picking up quite quickly for our main character. Can’t wait for next week. :love_letter:

1 Like

I believe the 乗る part has the meaning of “to take part in” in this context while 相談 is a discussion or consultation giving the phrase a meaning similar to do you want to talk about it/ do you want to consult with me.

3 Likes

not sure where to post this, but on bookwalker vol 2 and 3 are free atm (well, vol 1 too)
Maybe is a good idea to put this info on home thread or week 1, although not sure for how long they’re free as I already picked them up, 2 and 3 for free, yay

2 Likes

I caught up! It was really kind of hard to stop (but I did… for today at least :sheep:). It’s getting interesting!

6 Likes

Not sure about the vocabulary meaning itself, but it probably means, better than simply a loser. Wouldn’t “simply” mean “ordinary”?

Also, not sure about the attached の.

Yeah, I think the two meanings are relatively close but “just” is probably a better translation in context. Using ただのX is quite a common construction apparently. This article has some other similar examples.

https://nihongoshark.com/tada-vs-dake/

4 Likes

Finished weeks reading… what a cliffhanger to end the week on.

You are welcome. I thought it was an interesting story and was easy enough for the AB group so I did suggest it.

3 Likes

Just caught up on this weeks reading so that I can just read on and finish the chapter for next weeks reading as well.

I had to comment on the melting classroom. That image was just too great! Loving the art in this one.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Just finished week 5, thanks for the vocab sheet and the discussion here :heart:
Finding the time has been difficult, but once I get started I don’t want to stop, I’m getting wrapped up in the story to the point I forget how slowly I’m plodding through it :sweat_smile:
Better crack on to week 6 before it’s time for week 7 - phew!

3 Likes

I believe the part on the last page goes more along the lines of “(I have to find) a place with no one in it. (So I don’t accidentally hurt someone.)” especially since he says it right after walking past two people, so the other translation would feel out of place.

4 Likes