Genki Study Buddies - 「皆さんはGenkiを勉強しています」

*patpats*

I don’t know either. I still haven’t done lesson 10. I really wanted to do it yesterday, but got distracted with other things…
… MUST… LEARN… GRAMMAR!

I finally started lesson 1… It’s all review, but still… so slow…

You can do it! :slight_smile:

Ok! Thanks! I’ll finish lesson 1 and 2 today!

I especially need to do that before I level up tomorrow.

You’ve got this!

The Stats site thinks I’m going to level up in 3 days. HAH. It’s so wrong… Well… unless I do two more kanji lessons, then it could be right…
Then I’ll be halfway to 20 and my “goal” of learning Genki I before I get there…

You got this too!! You can do it!

Thanks! ^_^;

I’m sitting at Starbucks with a fresh coffee. Finally going to tackle that Lesson 10!

EDIT: So far I did very well with reading the dialogue on my own without knowing the grammar first. :slight_smile: There were a few things that tripped me up a little, but once seeing the translation, I was like “Ohhh.” (The katakana for Seoul, for instance, and not realizing a verb was separate from another word at first, even though I had basically read it correctly. XD )

EDIT 2: I’m getting it pretty easily, but I’m sure I should also re-read this lesson at a later date, as it seems to cover a lot of new aspects for me. Except for the adjective+become, which was totally obvious to me…

EDIT 3: And since I didn’t re-read the last lesson first (as I usually do) next time I’ll have to read lessons 9 + 10 before moving on to 11. @_@ I seem to recall 9 being easy though… Hopefully my memory is correct.

NEXT TIME: Lesson 11!

So glad I finally did some more.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m really glad that there is a post for learning Genki together since I’m a self-learner and I really need somebody to discuss as well.

Currently, I am studying Lesson 10 with making intention (つもりだ), and I’m kinda stuck.

How do you say “I am not going to do anything?”?

Should it be 何もするつもりです or 何もしないつもりです?

Thanks for this awesome forum!

Welp, finally have some freetime to dig myself out of this hole. Hopefully I can get somewhere

頑張って!

Man, it seems to be taking me longer and longer, but I think I have finally wrestled the adjective conjugations into my brain. When I was first learning Genki like 12 years ago (omg that’s blowing my mind right now) I had the first edition and it just teaches polite forms, so all this colloquial stuff is tripping me up. I realize it’s probably more useful though. And I started previewing ch 6 vocabulary while I finish up chapter 5. So, slow and steady wins the race eh?
I have spent almost two weeks hanging out at WK level 3 just trying to keep up with my reviews and spacing the lessons out. I think I finally finished all my lessons tonight. I had like 50 lessons piled up at one point too :grimacing:

1 Like

Oooh, congrats!

I’ve passed away from that chapter, and I still don’t have the adjective conjugations down. Basically… I let myself go with “they also conjugate, similar to verbs”… and moved on… Some of the conjugations I recognize (have heard/seen before, especially the casual ones), but I don’t have them memorized or “learned”… wow!

2 Likes

I’m still on the first Genki book, but could I possibly ask you some questions? I’m still a beginner

Sadly the next month or so I’m going to be very busy, so I can’t make any promises on progress for now. I’m still on Chapter 7.

Bumping this thread with my accomplishment of finishing chapter 7 this morning! I’m on a pretty steady pace of two weeks per chapter, which means I’m on track to finish Genki I by the end of July (I’m taking a vacation starting on July 25th and want to be done before then). Anyone else have Genki-ccomplishments lately?

1 Like

Great!

No, sadly… In my case my goal of 1 Chapter of Genki a week looks to have spaced itself out to once again be “once a month”… I guess as long as I look at the next chapter tomorrow, I’ll have beaten that, by a week this time… XD

I did start looking at Nihongonomori videos again, though, and I think technically pre-learned the next chapter (11 for me)'s verb form already.

Mine has become 1/4 of a chapter every month. Is that bad?

:cry:

That is veeeeeeeeery slow.

We should both get to work. Tomorrow.
(I’m going to go back to my listening practice now… a Japanese Let’s Play. Sometimes I pause it for reading practice, too…)

Yeah, I’m way behind. Just keeping up with WK and the Rosetta Stone and Genki vocabulary in Anki keeps me busy.