Genki I study group, chapter 4 discussion thread

Hello everyone, welcome to the fourth chapter (^.^)(^。^)(^-^)(^A^)
If you haven’t already, please check out the home thread for our study group here.
Please use this thread to discuss Genki I, chapter three. Talk about what you learned, ask questions, and do group activities together. Also please compare answers, BUT please use spoiler formatting so that people who haven’t done the worksheets yet can’t cheat on accident.
Update: Also, there is an answer key for Genki and multiple users have posted screenshots of them. Thank you for these contributions!
You can format a spoiler like this:

[spoiler][the answer to a question in genki][/spoiler]

Thank you everyone for participating! If you are a little behind that’s totally fine, just be sure to use the Chapter 3 thread instead.

6 Likes

typo-- should be chapter 4
I have been following along but have had little to add at this point. Just a thought: Would it be fun to @the person above you and do the partner exercises in order to encourage more simulated conversations? I considered doing it but did not want to be make anyone nervous etc.

3 Likes

I’m trying to help/get some practice on my own so I wrote this really boring dialogue using the chapter 4 grammar :slight_smile:

A: 私の部屋の中にテレビがあります。
B: よくテレビを見ますか。
A: 毎日テレビを見ます。
B: テレビが好きですか。
A: ええ、子供の時、テレビがありませんでした。
B: 本当に、私も。
A: 私とテレビをたくさんみませんか。
B: じゃあ、いいです。あなたの部屋で?
A. ええ、私の部屋で。

7 Likes

Aaaaaand here’s my notes again. I tried to proofread them better this time but all I wanna do is play Fire Emblem in my free time, but if there’s anything wrong just let me know as usual and I’ll edit it.

Chapter 4 Notes

Chapter 4

Xがあります・がいます

∼があります There is (inanimate object).

∼がいます There is (animate object).

Place description uses particle に instead of で

• あそこにマクドナルドがあります。There is a McDonald’s over there.

Can also be used to say that you have something

• 時間があるます。I have time.

Can also be used to say that an event will take place.

• 火曜日にテストがあります。There will be an exam on Tuesday.

DICTIONARY NOTES

がある (p. 73)

• “An inanimate thing exists”
  • ある expresses the existence of or the possession of inanimate things including abstract things such as events and problems
  • Negative informal is ない instead of あらない
  • Even if ある is used for possession, the possessed thing is marked with the particle が instead of を
    • 私は本がある。I have a book.
  • ある can also show that a thing is occurring in a location, which would show possession rather than existence
    • この車にはカーステレオがある。There is a car stereo in this car. (This car has a car stereo.
  • ある can be used with having an animate object, but the relationship with the object must be intimate
    • 私は子供が三人ある。I have three children.
    • This shows possession, but いる must be used to show existence.
      • 私は母がありません。I do not have a mother now. (INCORRECT)
      • 私は母がいません。I do not have a mother now.
  • When using ある for events, the particle marking the location of the event must be で instead of に
    • 今日サムのうちでパーティーがある。There is a party today at Sam’s house.

がいる (p. 153)

• “An animate thing exists”
  • いる is used for describing animal life, but not for plants and inanimate objects
  • An animate group or organization of animate things can also be put in the location position
    • このチームはいいクオーターバックがいる。There is a good quarterback in this team. (This team has a good quarterback.)

Describing Where Things Are

We can describe where things are in more detail than just ここ・そこ・あそこ

• Ex/Xの前です。It is in front of X.

Other placement words include 前・後ろ・上・下・間・隣 (front, behind, above, below, between, next to)

Can also be used with a verb to describe where something is occurring at a place

• モスバーガーの前で持ちました。I waited in front of Mos Burger.

Polite Past Tense of です

• あれは日本の映画です。That one is a Japanese movie.

• あれは日本の映画じゃないです。That one is not a Japanese movie.

• あれは日本の映画でした。That one was a Japanese movie.

• あれは日本の映画じゃなかったです。That one was not a Japanese movie.

affirmative negative
Non-past formal ∼です ∼じゃないです
Past formal ∼でした ∼じゃなかったです

Polite Past Tense of Verbs

Formed using the same stem as non-past polite (∼ます)

• 今日、日本語を勉強しません。Today I studied Japanese.

• 今日、日本語を勉強しませんでした。I did not study Japanese today.

affirmative negative
Non-past formal ∼ます ∼ません
Past formal ∼ました ∼ませんでした

CASUAL

• ません→ない
    • ない is created using different rules than ます, which will be covered later in Lesson 8
  • ませんでした→なかった
    • なかった is created using the ない form, which is covered in Lesson 8

~時間

The duration of an activity is expressed with a bare noun (no particles)

~時間 is used when the amount of time used is hours

• 友達を一時間待ちました。I waited one hour for my friend.

時 is a kanji referring to hours and 間 is the kanji for interval, so hour + interval

You can add ~ぐらい after the time interval for approximate measurement

• 日本語を二時間くらい勉強した。I studied Japanese for about two hours.

Add 半 after 時間 for half hours

• 本を二時間半読みました。I read a book for two and a half hours.

たくさん “a lot/many”

Word that can be added to a direct object to show a lot or many of the noun

• たくさん野菜を食べました OR 野菜をたくさん食べました。I ate a lot of vegetables.

Connects two nouns (noun1 + noun2)

• 私は日本語と英語を話します。I speak Japanese and English.

Can also describe with whom you are doing something.

• 友達と公園に行きます。I am going to the park with my friend.

DICTIONARY NOTES (p. 473)

• “A particle which lists things exhaustively”
  • Connects noun phrases ONLY! Cannot connect adjectives or verbs!
16 Likes

たくさん reads weirdly to me. “Would you like to watch a lot of TV with me?” I feel this sentence would better without たくさん.

2 Likes

That’s true I was trying to shoehorn in all the grammar points, probably something like

NHKでは面白い番組がたくさんありますね。

4 Likes

hey there. i just finished the grammer part of chapter 4 and started with the practice.
im not sure what i should do with exercise 1.a but thats what i came up with, feel free to tell me im wrong :smiley:

1.A [
銀行があります。
喫茶店があります。
レストランがあります。
図書館があります。
自転車があります。
And on…
猫がいます。
犬がいます。
女の人がいます。
And on…
]

And for 1.b
For example, what does the question “あなたの国に何がありますか” mean exactly?
Can it mean anything? Like Cities, or local cuisine and on?

I was a little confused at that question too, but it seems pretty open ended. I would take it to mean cities and tourists spots maybe?

1 Like

Isn’t there an extra み here?

2 Likes

Oof thanks for catching that typo

I take it to mean something your country is famous for. Like the questioner is a potential tourist and is asking for things to do or places to visit.

1 Like

Is it OK for random people not actually studying along to comment? If not, please tell me and I’ll delete this post! :slight_smile:

Saw this sentence in your practice dialogue (what a good idea! I should do that too):

結構です actually means fine, as in, that fine, but no thanks. Since Bさん actually agrees, はい or じゃあ、見ましょう would fit better imo.

3 Likes

Ok so I Finished all grammar and half textbook exercises just now. And… already finished a notebook (ok… its small the muji slim ones). So much packed in there! I have forced myself to write almost every word I know the kanji in kanji instead of hiragana. So now I´m able to write most easy kanjis easily while doing exercises. I really recomend doing that to improve retention together with wanikani.

5 Likes

Spoiled me being dumb and not understanding the japanese dictionary :wink:

So I used 結構 because for a plan I believe saying 結構です means “that’s a plan” or “I agree”, whereas when receiving something it means more “that’s enough thank you (no more)”

I got a similar sense from meaning 3 (noun) on https://www.weblio.jp/content/結構

I think your meaning is meaning 2 (adverb). I’m not sure which would be understood here by a native speaker at all though

I’m definitely a beginner so I am probably wrong but if you could share a resource you like on it that would help me a lot!

EDIT: I talked to my sensei and she told me a few things about using 結構 in this case – it definitely means “I won’t go”/ “I’m good” etc. She also told me it’s more something old people would say, and いいです、行きましょう is more normal. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Like last week, I’ll be posting some pair work if anyone wants to do it along with me.

Page 116, D

月曜日に何がありますか。
火曜日に何がありますか。
水曜日に何がありますか。
木曜日に何がありますか。
金曜日に何がありますか。
土曜日に何がありますか。
日曜日に何がありますか。

Page 119, B

そのかばんは一万五千円でしたか。
そのかさは千円でしたか。
そのぼうしは二千四百円でしたか。
そのTシャツは六千五百円でしたか。
そのとけは二万五千円でしたか。

Page 119, C

プレゼントは自転車でしたか。

I thought of a good answer for 1b: 私の国にたくさんマクドナルドがあります. Since I live in America, haha!

5 Likes

I’ve read this week’s chapter and done a few exercises, but I’ve still got most left to do. Luckily, next week is catch up, so there’s not as much pressure.

1 Like

いい答えです。

I live In Texas so I probably would have said something similar but about cowboys (even though that’s a lie)!

2 Likes

Would anyone please help me me understand what #4 on page 38 in the workbook says? It starts out like [At the time of the kid…something…]. But that doesn’t make any sense…any help would be appreciated.

It means: “When you were a child, were you a good child?”

子供の時、いい子供でしたか。
Kodomo no toki (lit. the time of a child), ii (good) kodomo deshita (past tense of desu) ka (question mark).

7 Likes