Ganbatane vs ganbate vs ganbare

Today was my first time coming across these phrases (keep it up / keep going etc.) after completing all my lessons today. The message where i’d expect something like “you’ve completed your lessons for now” said “ga n ba ta ne” in hiragana (sorry no Japanese keyboard installed at the moment) So I googled around and found all these variants. I’m just curious when to use one or the other, or if it’s a grammatical function, different contexts, etc. I’m still pretty much brand new to Japanese and haven’t really touched grammar yet so forgive me if this is a very simple one.
Thanks!

Here’s a link to a similar discussion, (but no mention of ganbatane) How to Use Ganbatte, Ganbare, Ganbare in Japanese -

4 Likes

Hey there! 頑張る / がんばる is a verb!
(jisho.org)

がんばって is the Te-form of a verb. It functions like a command = “keep at it!” “do your best!” You’ll learn the Te-form once you start studying grammar.

がんばった is the past tense of the verb. = “you did it!” And then the ね is just a particle added on at the end.

10 Likes

arigatou! that’s what I needed

2 Likes

がんばれ functions the same way, but a little bit rougher/more casual.

And then there’s kansai dialect! がんぼうとくれやす

Don’t worry too much about learning that one - it’s not very likely you’ll run into someone who uses that strong a kansai accent on you. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What about けっぱれ?