Homework help - 'te' form and pancake recipe

Would anyone be able to help me with my homework? We’ve been asked to write a simple recipe, using the ‘te’ form (it is our first lesson on this, as I’m a beginner). I have tried to write a recipe for pancake day, and I’d be grateful for any feedback.

I’m not trying to make the writing more sophisticated or build in additional Kanji, as this isn’t part of the task - I’m still a beginner, remember! - but any advice on the accuracy of what I’ve written would be great. There are a couple of verbs that I’m particularly unsure of which I’ve italicised and put question marks by.

(If it’s bad etiquette to put homework up on here, please let me know!)

Edits = me spotting my own mistakes and correcting them!

パンケーキの日

13日2月2018は パンケーキの日です。おいしい パンケーキを 食べませんか

ざいりょう
ぎゅうにゅう
たまご
こむぎこ
あぶら
さとう
レモン

ぎゅうにゅう と たまご と こむぎこ を ボウルに いれて
まぜて
さんじゅうぷんを まちます。

フライパンに あぶらを いれて
フライパンを あたたて
フライパンに パンケーキのミックスを いれて
いためます。

いっぷんを 待って
パンケーキを ?ひっくりかえて?
いっぷんを まちます。-

パンケーキを おさらに おきて
さとう と レモンを ?くわえて?
食べます。

And here’s what I was trying to say…

Pancake day

13th February 2018 is pancake day. Won’t you eat some delicious pancakes?

Ingredients
Milk
Egg
Flour
Oil
Sugar
Lemon

Put the flour and eggs and milk in a bowl
Mix
Wait for 30 minutes
Put oil in the frying pan
Heat up the pan
Put the pancake mix in pan
Fry
Wait for one minute
Flip the pancake
Wait for one minute
Put on a plate
Add lemon and sugar
Eat

1 Like

I would say it’s not bad. Some structure do not sound very natural, but there’s nothing you can do about it since it’s part of the rules.

A couple comments:

You don’t need to repeat フライパン so much.
Also, the second verb should be 温める (あたためる), so あたためて (め is missing)

ひっくりかえて (if you want to use a tadoushi)

かけて would be more common. (But くわえて can be understood).

1 Like

Thank you, Nath - that’s really kind of you.

My plan is only to make changes if I understand the reasons for the change (it feels like cheating otherwise) - and I understand all of your suggestions, so will make those edits in a bit.

2 Likes

I’m happy to help.
And, yeah, it only makes sense to change things that, well, make sense to you :wink:

1 Like

It’s already really good. Especially with Naths corrections incorporated.
I’m not 100% on this but I throw it out there so I can maybe learn something too!
The を for 待つ marks the thing you are waiting for. In your case though you have a time span you want to wait for. Not a thing or a particular moment in time. So I think you don’t need the を here since the time span functions like (is?) an adverb. いっぷんまつ。
Please somebody correct me if i’m wrong :pray:

I’m sure it’s じゅっぷん though instead of じゅうぷん。

3 Likes

I’m think you might be right on this - omitting を - if only because the example my teacher gave me does exactly that.

I also just noticed that she has also provided the kanji, so I should probably add that in instead of the hiragana anyway.

My teacher’s example reads “3分間 [まちます]” so I guess mine should say:

30分間 まちます
1分間 まって
1分間 まちま

(I’m not sure why she didn’t use kanji for the numbers - hopefully 30 and 1 are correct here?)

Thank you!

Here it is, hopefully just about complete! (I have kept the verbs I’m not really familiar with in red, so my teacher knows I had to look them up)

13 Likes

So cute! :sunny:

1 Like

Not a grammar thing, but you don’t think you want to include amounts for the ingredients?

1 Like

Hello! Yes, I thought about that but, silly as it sounds, I’m not sure how! I don’t even know what units are used in Japan, and because I’m rubbish at counters I thought I’d probably get it wrong. So I was trying to keep it simple (unless anyone can point me in the right direction of how to do this…)

To be honest, the homework doesn’t say we need to give an ingredients list anyway - I was just doing it to try and make it look nice…

Japan uses metric. Cup (カップ) = 200 mL, tablespoon (大さじ) = 15 mL, teaspoon (小さじ) = 5mL, though you’ll also find those expressed as just a number of mL or cc (= cubic centimetre = same as mL). Grams and kilograms too (グラム and キログラム (or just キロ), though again they may be expressed with the English abbreviations “g” and “kg”).

Eggs and lemons would be expressed with either the 個 counter or the つ counter.

2 Likes

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.