Forecasting Reviews on the Dashboard

(Emphasis mine)

It looks more like a table to me though, in which case there are no axes anyway.

It literally shows how many reviews are being added hour by hour (starting with the next passing hour), so I’m not sure where you’re getting 2b from.

2 Likes

As many have said, I feel the review and lesson buttons are a bit large. Maybe they could be scaled back to make a bit more room for the current lesson progress. It would be nice to see the kanji I’m currently learning more clearly. I’m also someone who uses the web version on my phone (I guess for easier switching to other sites? May give some of those apps a check.)

But I am personally a big fan of the review forecast. I’ve used the userscript review timeline before, but honestly found it kind of ugly and not super useful despite going at max pace. At least for me, going at max pace requires a schedule and notifications that remind me to get wanikani-ing, which can be more effectively achieved through setting weekly alarms or alerts instead of checking through the ultimate timeline to find the next critical review every few hours and then remembering to come back at that time.

This timeline looks much better imo and tells me at a glance how many reviews I will have waiting for me at a given time, which I quite like. I can easily see that I’ll have 81 reviews waiting for me tomorrow.

Finally, I’ve noticed that the bottom of many of the boxes has a small white shadow, which I don’t think I like. Though now that I check back on the current version it’s there too. Huh.

4 Likes

I believe 2b is about hours when you have no reviews (like Wednesday at 4am on your forecast). Instead of indicating that there is an hour with no reviews, it just jumps to 5am.

5 Likes

Awesome! I love it!

I really like it, except, as many people have already said, the numbers on the lesson and review buttons are far too small. The pictures (if needed at all) should be illustrating the numbers, not making them impossible to see. But, otherwise, as someone who uses WK without scripts, the addition of a timeline is really useful. Thank you.

2 Likes

I’ll just add my voice to what others have said. The buttons are way too big. The visual style and coloring that currently defines them in the live version is more than enough for anyone who can navigate a website in the first place to notice. In addition, the absurd size of the new buttons together with the cute but unrelated pictures means that they actually are less obvious now. Sure there’s a big crabgator looking at me, but that means nothing, and I think I’d be tempted to consider it a column header or illustration than a button.

And of course it pushes everything else down, which is frustrating, especially on mobile or, as in my case, when you like leaving windows side by side instead of filling the whole screen.

The review forecast is great, no complaints there, I’m just surprised to see the giant buttons going through when I remember seeing people voice their lack of enthusiasm about them in previous threads.

8 Likes

I’m not a fan. Mostly because these additions are taking up more real estate and pushing down things that are more relevant to me (on my screen anyway) but providing not much utility in return.

I’m very happy with the ultimate timeline script as it’s better in every way and takes up way less space so I’d be removing the new timeline if I could (am I going to need another script for this?).

I like the idea of making the buttons more prominent but again, not at the cost of real estate please. Maybe keep them where they are but make them bigger so they use the full height of the bar at the top?

4 Likes

Can you add an option to make hours display in 24h format? It’s not a big deal, but it definitely be easier for me ;]

8 Likes

I’d like to be able to see what reviews are coming up, not just the number. Seeing reviews ahead on Ultimate Timeline has been extremely helpful to me.

The review and lesson buttons are overly large, even on desktop. I’m okay with them being bigger, but they feel really weird being as huge as they are. (Also the review forecaster being tall instead of wide feels weird to me.)

Lastly, the taskbar has waaaaay too much empty space.

So, here’s my suggestions:

1. The review forecaster is wide, not tall, and somehow allows you to see what’s coming up without simply telling you what the item means.

2. The embiggened Lesson/Review buttons are made shorter and cross the whole screen when next to each other. They might be above or below the wide forecaster. Incidentally, shortening the big two buttons would help mobile look less terrible.

3. The empty taskbar space is used to show a condensed version of the levels (say, six bars, representing the six categories, and the one you’re on is expanded to show the levels in the category and highlight your level). There would probably be colour coding to show if you’ve got most of a category in a particular SRS stage (so you can know that you’ve burned most or all of the first ten levels, that you’ve completed and are progressing the next ten, and are working on the third, for example). Maybe you could also expand the other categories if you click on them for a level-specific analysis. I know this is a long section, but the idea is relatively simple I think.

Thanks, anyone who bothers reading this mess ^^

1 Like

I like them! Nice work!

I like it! Makes it much easier to plan ahead. It also gives you something to look forward to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FT Job and Kids Squad member checking in. You are doing great man, keep at it and know you aren’t alone.

-Nate

1 Like

I like it. I imagine it’ll take a little while to adjust, but I like the illustrations a lot, they’re super cute and I imagine saving the Crabinator from being mobbed by turtles will be a good motivation for me not letting my lessons pile up. The only thing I’ll miss is the countdowns to reviews.

3 Likes

Mostly because these additions are taking up more real estate… I’m very happy with the ultimate timeline script as it’s better in every way and takes up way less space

I do find this opinion curious: the Ultimate Timeline takes up way more space than the vertical timeline. I use the Ultimate Timeline, but I’m not fooled that the amount of information it provides is actually useful.

2 Likes

I could do without the cutesy pop-up text as you fly over the kanji. I am most interested in when each kanji will come around again and would appreciate an uncluttered presentation of that info.

2 Likes

Great additional feature, helps me plan my day better. With a full time job and family, I can’t stay glued to the Wani Kani machine unfortunately. I can use my few review hours a day more effectively by planning them around hours in the day with large review batches, Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

I think the new forecast will actually replace Ultimate Timeline for me. I don’t need the details UT provides

5 Likes

Love the forecast, but I agree with the people who said the buttons are too big and the numbers are too small.

2 Likes

I like the timeline a lot, but I agree the buttons are HUGE! And from a design standpoint, the images are way more in focus than the actually relevant information: the number of reviews/lessons waiting. My eye actually has to go looking for those numbers, whereas in the current version it doesn’t. And that’s just on desktop. The mobile version is even more yikes!

The illustrations are cute, but PLEASE make them smaller. Even better would be an option to just have the buttons with numbers and no pictures like we currently do, at least for the mobile website.

8 Likes