Favorite Kanji?

I see that this topic has been breached in the past, but as a relatively new person(as I’m sure most people here are) to lots of kanji, for some reason I have a tendency to view certain kanji in a more favorable light than others. Does anyone else feel that way when they study?

For example, I really like tea (茶) and tall/high (高), but I hate every (毎) and kimi(君).

I assume it’s just aesthetic appeal with symmetry and all that, but I still find it interesting.

6 Likes

I like 君 because of 君の名は.

9 Likes

Probably 曜.
It was the first kanji I looked at and thought I’d never be able to write it easily. Now it’s super easy.

Stylistically speaking, 〆 [spoiler]〆[/spoiler] - Jisho.org is one of my favorites.
But that’s more of an abbreviation.

4 Likes

I tend to dislike kanji that I can’t write in an aesthetically pleasing way, no matter how much I practice.

When I’m asked what is my favorite kanji by Japanese people, I usually say that the combination of the reading, shape, and meaning for 志 is my favorite. But there are some other ones I like to write as well that I just think look neat, such as 鼎, 燕, and 之.

9 Likes

I really like 俺, even though I use うち (as of like a week ago ww). It just has that certain look to it, I don’t know how to explain it…

I don’t like kanji with a lot of strokes (20+ is a guaranteed way for me to hate a certain character), kanji with confusing stroke orders, and kanji that just plain look stupid (like 凸, which looks like the Russian letter д).

3 Likes

Mine is 野, looks cool to me

2 Likes

I think my fav is 真 just cuz. But I also like 雨 and 雪 because I think they’re cute.
I like names with the kanji 香.
I don’t want to say my least favorite kanji DX

5 Likes

I like 霜 a lot, the mental image I have with this one is really strong, a tree covered in frost after the rain

6 Likes

I like 轟 (thunder) and 夏 (summer).
I don’t really have a reason for the first one, but I do for summer. I met a Chinese exchange student a few years ago, and when I showed him what Google translate said my name was in Chinese, he said it didn’t fit me (I don’t know why though lol). So he wrote my name in a different way from Google translate using 夏 for the first character, which has the same meaning in both Chinese and Japanese. I just thought it was really special that he gave me a cool name and ever since I’ve felt a special connection to 夏.

5 Likes

My favorite of all time is 愛

But the second favorite is

10 Likes

Among several that I like, I think hou 報 is near the top. It would take too long to explain why, though.

1 Like

爽 is a particular favourite and I think 濃、豊 and 富 are very expressive if their meanings.

5 Likes

written with 84 strokes

Imagine that

2 Likes

Similar level kanji for one local restaurant (although they changed the name):

8 Likes

I recently learned how to write 焼 while studying for 漢検 and for some reason, I really liked the way it felt to write. Something about how all the pieces fit together when written in the correct order just made me see it in a different way.

Before that I was a fan of several kanji that use 糸 as a part of them. Mostly colors like 緑、紫、紅、紺、etc. Don’t really have a reason for these, they just feel… right(?) somehow.

5 Likes

優 is just really smooth for me to write so I like it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

晶, 新, 駅, 礎, 幽 are ones I am fond of aesthetically speaking.

I hate 身. That stroke is so unsightly.

4 Likes

Oh I’ve heard of this one when I studied in China. Complicated noodles man.

1 Like

it’s gotta be 川

3 Likes

It’s hard to pick a favorite, but I always enjoy seeing these for example: 鏡 希 悠 熱 争

3 Likes