Favorite Kanji?

My favorite is 好. I’ll leave the reason up to your imagination.
I guess you could say it’s my 一番好き

3 Likes

Because the mnemonics reminds you of Kouichi?

2 Likes

I like how 君 looks aesthetically, but I recently learned the old form for dragon 龍, which I think looks cool. The 龍王 and 龍馬 are very useful pieces to get in shōgi.

3 Likes

I always thought the japanese word for snow was beautiful until I saw it is written like this: 雪
This was kinda disappointing (it is so ugly!) and I came to dislike it.

2 Likes

Since I am a pretty low level I don’t know a lot of kanji but I love a lot of them so far, they’re definitely one of the main reasons for me personally to learn Japanese.

However, if I had to choose one for now, I’d say it’s 森. It’s pretty simple and the way it looks just fits with it’s meaning. Sort of a continuation of 木 and 林. I hope there is a further one, maybe for jungle? Although I bet that’s probably a word written in katakana.

5 Likes

Some of my favorites are: 龍 虎 酸 轟 業

2 Likes

Compact and neat.

2 Likes

一 is mine

Very easy to remember and write!

5 Likes

I don’t know what it is, but I really like the ふゆ.
Maybe because it’s my favorite season.
It looks simple, but not boring.

4 Likes

Mine is 秋 I guess x)

5 Likes

For some reason, I love 時. I really enjoy writing it. I’m also fond of kanji like 通 or 道, especially in handwriting - the ‘swishy part’ can look so cool! 乗 is also pretty fun.

I actually dislike more ‘simple’ kanji like 大, 女 or 少 because, no matter how much I practice, they never look good when I write them.

4 Likes

My favourite is 繭 , because it looks aesthetically pleasing and it perfectly encapsulates the meaning as well! I also really like 淵, and ones with lots of symmetrical strokes in general ^^

5 Likes

Good lord. Taito kanji look like the eldritch abominations of kanji… :joy::joy::joy:

My favorite kanji is actually really simple. It’s 天, meaning heaven or sky. It’s easy to write, and I like the history behind it. It comes from the Chinese Tian, which is the oldest Chinese word for the cosmos, and is a key concept in mythology, philosophy and religion. (At least, according to Wikipedia! :joy:)
And it looks really cool in Street Fighter when Akuma does his thing… :joy:

7 Likes

Right now my favorite is 楽 ! Aside from the symmetric look, it also looks fun, just like its meaning c:

4 Likes

My favorite one is 惑. Just because, really. I love the meaning and all the vocabulary that include this kanji. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My favorite is 癒. I like the meaning (healing), I think it’s very cute in names, and it’s fun to handwrite.

The ones that look just like their meaning are also fun, such as 峠 (mountain pass).
And others like 冠, 葛 or 箋, even if it’s just because they look different from the others so I never forget how to handwrite them.

5 Likes

I identify with this. I don’t think I’ve ever manage to write a 女 that actually looked good…

Not sure if I would call it my favourite, but I quite like 鬱, simply because it’s the most complicated character I learned back from when I did RTK and it happily stays in my brain, including the way to write it^^

5 Likes

Man that kanji is so compact it just looks like a smudge on the screen :laughing:

あの漢字の中國語は良いですね?はい、中國の漢字は大好き。

1 Like

I hadn’t seen a large amount of kanji yet but thus far 「國」(a variant of 国) has to be in the list of my top favorites, same goes for 『狐、話、私、僕、俺、森、林、四、個、韓、中、仲、持、時、語、間、海、明、漢&字』 from what I know.

1 Like