Entering more than one answer?

I hope this question has not ben raised before, I tried searching the forum but didn’t find any answer.

Is there any way to entering more than one answer when doing the reviews? If the kanji has more than one meaning, I would like to be able to enter both. As it is now, I haven’t figured out any way of doing this.

You would have to add a user synonym that contains the multiple answers as one long string. But understand that the fuzzy spell checker will get more and more lenient the longer the word is, so you might have to do a lot of double checking if you didn’t get it exactly right.

I think the main issue with this is some words have tons of meanings, and they can be long, or phrases. So I personally wouldn’t want to do this, but it’s up to you.

1 Like

Do you really need this?
You will encounter more than enough times of both readings…

1 Like

They said meanings not readings.

Really? i see.
i 'd vote for your answer.

Yeah, I type one answer, but say the others in my head. And I try to alternate which one I type for successive reviews.

6 Likes

The issue for me is that for kanjis that I have a hard time learning, I end up learning only one meaning and then this hit me back later when I am learning vocabulary. Also, sometimes I mix up the second meaning I learnt (the one I am not inputting). Then there is no way of after the answer is revealed to tell WK to not treat it as a correct answer.

I am not suggesting it should be mandatory to insert more than one answer. But for instance, if you want to, it would be nice to able to insert something like:
meaning1, meaning2
and then WK checks if both of them are correct.

If you are worried about fuzzy spell checker, then separating the inputs with for instance a “,” should solve the issue? Then it can be treated as separate inputs and you only have to check afterwords if both were right.

1 Like

I’m sure someone could make a userscript that functions something like that, but I don’t know that it’s necessary for it to be a part of the actual site.

1 Like

Leebo, I am not sure why you are so negative to a suggestion that would have zero impact on the way you are currently using this site.

For me, this is actually one of the biggest weaknesses of WaniKani. With Anki, one of the issues is trying to avoid “cheating” behavior where you press you knew the card when you were almost correct. In Wanikani it is worse, since even if I, as suggested in this thread, say the second answer in my head, it happens quite often to me that I get the second answer wrong. However, since my first answer is correct and there is no way to tell WK that I was actually wrong. Due to this it is sometimes very hard to learn some readings/meanings.

1 Like

How was I negative in any way? It wasn’t my intention. I mentioned that you can do the thing you want to do. They built the API for this purpose, for people to modify the site as they see fit.

I don’t see how WK is worse than Anki in this regard, because you have to at least get something right before you move on, rather than nothing.

I’m fairly sure the double check script lets you do this.

1 Like

Are there many Kanji or vocab that have completely different meanings? Mostly when I see a list they are synonyms.

My key problem with WK is that you have to give the “right” answer most of the time ie the one recognised by WK. So I can know what a word means and know how to pronounce it but still get the answer “wrong” because I can’t remember the exact translation used by WK (sometimes I have checked a dictionary before answering and put in one of the dictionary translations but still got it “wrong”). Pretty frustrating. Got knobbled again this morning by 実. Sometimes it gets translated by WK as “real”, sometimes as “true” and sometimes as both. Very confusing. So today I had 実感. Shit. Even though I only did the review recently now I can’t remember whether the answer was true feeling or real feeling. I think the latter. Yesterday it was 実力. Now was that true power or real power?

1 Like

@Esceptico If this is a frequent problem for you, the Reorder Script could be worth it. Many of the mobile apps have this functionality too. After all, there’s little difference between true and real in the way you’re using them there, as long as you know it’s real as in actual / true and not real as in something else (great or something). They’re just concise approximations of the Japanese definition.

Sorry, I tried to reply directly to you and messed up.

I thought the site currently lacked a way for correct answers to be marked as wrong by the API? edit: Nope, the Double Check script exists so that must be untrue. I know you want this as core functionality, OP, but you can at least override it for now.

Yeah, it’s on the rarer side, but off the top of my head 本 (book, origin, real), 安 (cheap, relax), 運 (carry, luck), 額 (amount, frame, forehead, the last of which is not taught on WK), 肥 (fat, manure) (those last two were discussed recently).

I’m sure it’s a non-negligible percentage.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.