Script to force alternate meanings?

Is there a script that will prevent me from entering the same meaning twice in a row, forcing me to alternate between them? I don’t want to just end up knowing one meaning for everything.

I’m not sure if there is, but I would just point out that since a lot of alternative meanings are just different ways to phrase the same idea, I think it would often be more frustrating than anything. Like getting 色 wrong because this time you said “color” and it needed to be “colour.”

Sometimes there are truly completely different meanings, but I feel like that’s less often the case.

The main thing is that WaniKani just supplements your Japanese learning. It gives you a jump start on reading kanji. Then you can go out into the world and start encountering those words. You won’t be tripped up by how to read them, and if the meaning seems confusing to you, looking it up is a smoother process because you already know the kanji.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. I think the double check script will help you in this case, though. There’s no need to have an answer marked wrong when you do know another synonym and were just trying something else.

1 Like

Sometimes if I’m dead set on remembering a few different variations, I’ll try to say them all in my head, and I’ll check that I got them all right. If I didn’t, I’ll purposely bomb the reading if I haven’t done it yet.

I will say though that I only do this on rare occasions where I truly believe that it’s going to screw me up if I don’t understand the variations.

2 Likes

On a related note, I do kinda wish there’s something WK could to do to help you get a grip on kanji that have multiple really common readings, instead of just accepting only one of them during reviews. Like for example, for 大 Wanikani emphasizes ダイ and タイas the “primary” readings but it’ll accept either one during a review, making it harder to memorize both (and yes, I know the two readings are already pretty similar, but I think you get the point.)

Maybe not exactly force you to give multiple readings during a kanji’s review (that could easily balloon out of control with kanji that have a lot of common readings) but give you something where you can optionally drill common readings so that you’re more prepared for the vocabulary that use those readings. Going back to the example of 大, you could get away with only ever giving ダイ during kanji reviews, but then you’re hit with vocabulary that use the タイand おお readings as early as Level 1 (and those readings stay relevant in later levels.)

1 Like