Employment, Finding Employment, Occupation

I hate you :smiley:

11 Likes

That there is the shortest OP I’ve read on this site.

3 Likes

When you reach level 27, you’ll see that there is no further explanation needed :smiley:

4 Likes

there’s a whole lot. Just you wait.

Zone, area, district, boundary
investigation, inspection, examination, inquiry

yum yum!

5 Likes

Ah, I see what you’re getting at.

Thought you might be railing against the concept of “employment” in general, or had a grudge against the Crabigator, or something like that.

4 Likes

I might have cheated a bit on zone, district, etc. :wink: :smiley:

omg! Teach me master! What did you do? ignore script? synonyms?

Yeah, sometimes I ignore, when it’s “too stupid”. I feel like it won’t hinder my general understanding of Japanese if I consider district and area as synonyms.

The employment vocab is still pretty fresh, there I still try to get it into my brain the way it is supposed to be :smiley:

I did the hard work of going through example sentences for each and every one to figure out the nuance differences. >.<

Wish I could say “never again”, but there’s still the investigation -bunch left and surely more to come later :sob:

4 Likes

That’s the honorable thing to do :wink:

2 Likes

Congrats! You have identified one of the common “leech clusters” on Wanikani!

Knowing exactly which of the words are hard to remember because of their similarity to each other is one of the first steps necessary to tackle them :wink:

Here’s one of the most recommended scripts to tackle these kinds items:

Good luck with the leeches!

7 Likes

Remember when the Iphone was new and there were ads, that there is an “app for everything”?

Turns out on WK there is a script for everything :smiley:

3 Likes

This makes me wonder if there’s a way to put users’ data together and find out which words are most easily confused with each other, building up a map of word clouds or something.

4 Likes

I’ve just had this very thought a few minutes ago :sweat_smile:

But yes, I’m afraid the only way to fix this problem is to learn by heart that
就業 is employment,
職業 is occupation
and
就職 is finding a job :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, I wish there was a thread about these kinds of words, a list of the most common ones. One subcategory is definitely transitive vs intransitive verbs and WK staff have already worked on separating those in terms of levels, more info in this thread:

Maybe they have more plans about making it easier to tackle these kinds of leeches in the future.

2 Likes

And don’t forget 求職 job hunting! At least for me it is still a leech, I realized only recently.

3 Likes

I still have an entire self-study quiz devoted to these :upside_down_face:

Also, I loved the like, seven different words you learn for consent and to consent and everything like that somewhere in the 30’s…Most of them made sense, but then here comes 納得.

4 Likes

At least no such problems with limit, limit, limit, and limit.

2 Likes

There was a problem with “limitless”, but I think it was fixed shortly.

無限 did not accept either limitless or infinite.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.