What groups of similar words/kanji gives you the most pain

I realized that the most painful review items for me can be joined in a few groups with highly similar meanings, that I confuse nearly every time :sweat_smile: I was wonder what other people are struggling with.

My top favourites:

職業 Occupation
就業 Employment
就職 Finding Employment

報告 Report
情報 Information
報道 News Report

警察 Police
警官 Police Officer
警察署 Police Station
警察官 Police Officer
警視庁 Metropolitan Police Department
警察庁 National Police Agency

10 Likes

Strangely, I get all the police ones right except for 警察庁 which I want to call Metropolitan Police department, even though I always get that one right.

I may have just beaten the employment ones into submission, but they were making me pull my hair out.

一代、一生、一気

5 Likes

定義 Definition
解決 Solution
(Both ending sounds = “-tion” troubled me/I may want to add my native language as user synonym later.)

嫌疑 Suspicion
嫌悪 Hate

緑 Green
線 Line

2 Likes

Oh, definitely! For me maybe 義, 議 and 論, words like:

主義 Principle
議論 Argument
論理 Logic
理論 Theory
討論 Debate

1 Like

I have a lot.

戦争
戦い
争う
競争
競う

道路
路地
通り

心願
念願
願望
希望
望み

最後
最終
終了
終わり

up until now I don’t even know the difference and the context:
高級
高等
一流
一等

熱心
情熱

仮定
仮説
想定

This is the hardest because I’m not a native English speaker and I didn’t know that the words in English of these meaning exist before so I kept getting it wrong
乱戦
乱交
混乱
乱れる
乱す

and maybe even more but I forgot already.
Thanks Wanikani I became both smarter and more confused ahaha

4 Likes

Oh yes!

these are in my list for sure!

I also somehow confuse the reading/meaning of these two:
乱れる To Be In Disorder
敗れる To Be Defeated

1 Like
Summary

I think I’ll just put it in details, so it won’t be text of wall.

ikr. Thanks for listing that.
Funny, I associate “Logic” vocab with someone I feel I’m close with who has almost always correct logic in his arguments, but he is lonely ロンリ.
And, for “Theory”, I associate it as the condition related to that someone I talked about above, he’s full of logic, he’s so lonely, and unfortunately, his world is sunk in theory only, while in practical life, he’s lonely. Insert bad baad baaad association feeling when @Oshin’s feeling lonely but feels disturbed when surrounded by lots of people.
And, for “Debate”, in my native language, it really sounds similar, トロン, it means PLEASE! So, I made a film in my mind, and really injected this film into my mind, that everytime that [insert someone antagonistic to @Oshin’s feeling here] starts arguing with me and debating me, I say PWEEEAAASE in my native language.

Indeed, for things I burned, I think, each of them has one scene from my favourite film/drama. Up to now I often forget what “melee” is. For “orgy” I burned that because it’s [redacted because it’s against this forum or higher than PG13]. For “violence” I think I burned it because Rambo.

rambo%20ngamuk

For any vocabs you listed that begin with みだ reading, I found it easier to associate it with my favourite drama. Oh! I’ve said that already! And for a twisted Oshin 語, that drama is not Japanese, it’s Korean! Its title is MIDAS. I cried. I got angry. I was happy watching MIDAS. I had mixed feelings watching it. Now everytime someone says anything about those kanji and vocabs you listed, I always remember MIDAS Korean Drama. :laughing:

http://asianwiki.com/Midas_(2011-Korean_Drama)

Kim Do-Hyun (Jang Hyuk) graduated from the top university in South Korea and has now worked as a fund manager for 3 years. He is handsome and good at sports. Do-Hyun is particularly keen with analyzing the situation as it occurs, but his weakness comes from his poor family background. After working 3 years as a fund manager Do-Hyun is all too aware the power money has. Insecure with his situation, Do-Hyun decides to look for a more prestigious job, with better pay.

Yoo In-Hye’s (Kim Hee-Ae) is a president for a hedge fund company. Her grandfather was a banker during the Japanese occupation of South Korea. This means her grandfather was on the side of the Japnese. During the Korea War he made lots of money. After the war her grandfather became a money lender and through this made a fortune. By the 1970’s he became the most powerful man in the underground economy. Yoo In-Hye’s family is now one of the richest families.

Lee Jung-Yeon (Lee Min-Jung) dated Do-Hyun for 6 years and they will get married soon. Whenever she thinks about Do-Hyun, she can’t stop smiling. During her middle and high school years Jung-Yeon was a quiet student with ordinary scores, but Do-Hyun appeared in front of her and they began a relationship. She is certain that Do-Hyun loves her. Jung-Yeon also has one thing that Do-Hyun does not have. That is a family.

4 Likes

Ahaha! I will definitely remember this one! Thank you!

1 Like

That is actually my list in exact! Wow…

2 Likes

For me, its

在外
対外
外来

All with 外. Everything means “foreign”, and I’m not sure how to differentiate them… so when any comes up, I thought foreign=overseas=abroad and apparently not so, and gets these three back in Apprentice over again

3 Likes

The police related ones are hard for me too because there are so many

1 Like

All of the Kanji? Yeah that sounds about right.

2 Likes

A lot of the verbs that come in transitive and intransitive versions, esp the ‘mix’, ‘transmit’ and ‘raise’ ones (混じる 混ざる 混ぜる 交じる 交わる 伝える 伝わる 育てる 育る…). Also, basically anything that means ‘circumstance’, ‘condition’ or ‘case’ I get mixed up for some reason. I may or may not randomly guess at one of those when I have no idea.

3 Likes

I’ve been bothered by these words for the last few weeks:

審査
検査
捜査
捜索
検索

They all have kinda similar meaning :sob: Something is being “checked”, “investigated”, etc.

3 Likes

研究所 - Research lab
研究室 - Laboratory
Still hesitating to add a “synonym” to research lab :expressionless:

Then there are all those that mean action (仕草, 作用, 活動, 行動), and those that I always confuse with them. I don’t even know who are those bastards that just look like “action” vocabulary to me :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes

枠 versus 粋 has become a leech for me recently. I think I have it under control now.

I also mix up a lot of the 虐 words. Some I remember better than others.
虐待
虐殺
残虐
暴虐

I also get a lot of the compensations mixed up. I forget which ones are which nuance/definition of the word “compensation”
賠償
弁償
賠償金
報酬
慰謝料

Definitely loads others but these are the ones I’ve thought about the last couple days.

Also seconding the 論 words and various police words.

2 Likes

I was hesitating to add synonyms until the recent time when I started burning items, also because English is not my native language, and I was like, what if this definition is not exactly correct, then I will learn it wrong!!! :scream::scream::scream:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.