Dictionaries

Shirabe Jisho has a feature in its dictionary that allows you to put things into spaced repetition flashcards. Unfortunately, I find that it frequently doesn’t do the spaced repetition properly.

Does anybody know of other dictionary resources that allow making spaced repetition flashcards within it where you don’t actually have to make the flashcards yourself?

If you know more than one, please share what you find different between them, good and bad.

Thank you and good luck!

1 Like

I’ve used the flashcards on jpdb and find them reasonably convenient, but I don’t have strict preferences for flashcards.

1 Like

I’ve tried those as well. I find that I don’t mind them, but was interested in other options . I think they’re a viable option, I just find it a bit tough because your options are to either only study one deck at once until completion or study every deck at once. Perhaps I am just not sure where the option is to adjust something.

What other order do you want to use?

You don’t have to finish a deck. Once you’re satisfied with it just use the arrows to move it down so it’s not number one anymore.

I never thought of it like that. I guess I was thinking of an Anki type format where different decks have different sections entirely (ie. one click to trigger the deck). I didn’t think about just reordering them when I need. It’s a bit annoying, but functional, I suppose.

On second thought, I realized why that doesn’t work. I would like a system where I can review only one deck at once. The ordering system only offers in what order you learn the decks, it does not isolate the reviews.

I use Takoboto which has a send to anki feature. I had to edit the card format to get exactly what I wanted but after that it works well.

1 Like

I’d suggest rethinking that. I initially separated reviews but it’s true your brain starts to associate a word with a deck, so you pass it even though you don’t really know it. My Anki reviews felt much more effective when I combined all decks, then I started having a better hit rate of recognising words in the wild that I had revised on anki

1 Like

I value the free and no ads components of the other dictionaries.

2 Likes

I appreciate that outlook and definitely see where you’re coming from. I’ve never thought of it like that. I just get so stressed about having so many reviews at once. It’s my problem with WaniKani. Despite having passed the N3, my level is low because it’s so rough to open the site and get hit by so many reviews.

1 Like

KameSame allows SRSing from the dictionary.

Not sure if someone is still using Houhou.

It doesn’t seem like houhou is still used, based off of the devlog on that post. The kamesame link just led to houhou, so do you mind telling me if it’s an app or website, so I know where to look?

It’s a website, and probably mobile optimized as well.

so much that! I already experience that issue to a lesser extent with a mixed deck because I kinda know the few hundred words that I‘m currently mainly asked. This doesn’t only apply to Anki but also to WK by the way. The smaller the set of words the currently reviewed card comes from, the worse it gets. If I encounter the word in the wild, it’s much harder to identify correctly.

You’re not forced to do all the reviews at once, you know. Just like with the separate decks, where you get only a small amount of reviews, you can decide for yourself to only tackle a certain number. E.g. I am currently adding a lot of new words into Anki but due to high and irregular workload I don’t manage to do all reviews every day, and after a few sloppy days they pile up. So I set myself a number, e.g. „review 100 cards“, and if I can’t even make that amount, then there is still tomorrow, but if I can handle more, then that’s a plus. In any case it takes me a couple of days to get back to normal. I don’t worry about that too much. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

You can buy/subscribe to Takoboto to unlock more features and apparently remove ads (but I never saw an ad in that app? I’m a bit confused). I find it a bit expensive though, and I don’t really care for the additional features.

But for my flashcard usage I just use yomitan on the desktop. It means that I don’t do flashcards when I’m not in front of the computer but it works out well for me: deciding what to flashcard and making sure that you have a decent context sentence and all that takes some effort and mental bandwidth, deciding that I won’t do any of that when I’m away from my computer is somewhat relaxing.

1 Like