Could someone explain the grammar in these sentences?

I posted a moment on HelloTalk about how I went paddle boarding and swimming today. I received several corrections, but I guess I don’t know enough grammar to understand the subtle differences in the corrections. Could someone clarify?

My original post was:
今日泳いとパドルボードに行きました!泳ぐ好きですか?

These were the different corrections:
今日、泳とパドルボード をやりに行きました!泳ぐ のは 好きですか?
今日泳い だりパドルボード をしに行きました!泳ぐ ことは 好きです?
今日、パドルボード と泳ぎに行きました!泳ぐのは好きですか?

I’ve bolded the parts that have been added that I don’t understand, whether that be the words themselves or why they’re necessary… thanks in advance :smiley:

I’m not sure what you were trying to do with 泳い, so maybe that’s where some confusion is coming from.

If you want to talk about swimming as a noun, it’s either 水泳 (pronounced すいえい), 泳ぎ, or 泳ぐの / 泳ぐこと, but I don’t think 泳ぎ is used very often. And the way you handle them grammatically depends on which you choose.

If you want to say you like something with __ が好き, that thing has to be a noun, it can’t be a verb.

Putting の or こと at the end of a verb makes it into a noun. But be aware that those have slightly different nuances and meanings that are a bit more than maybe we want to bite off here.

3 Likes

That’s all pretty basic stuff. You put と between your swimming and paddle boat. So you need 2 nouns there.
But 泳い is not a word. You have to use 泳ぎ、水泳 or something simillar (all mean “swimming” as a noun).
The same with 好き. In english you would say “Do you like swimming?”. So you have a noun in this position. But 泳ぐ is a verb. So you first have to “nounify” (nominalize) it. That’s what the の and こと after the verb are used for. は then marks this as the topic.

2 Likes

That makes sense! Yeah I didn’t know the word for swimming, so I just did a quick Google search and hoped for the best. Definitely not the most reliable way to learn vocab. In the second correction, what would the だり and the しmean?

Thanks a ton!

In all of the corrections of the first sentence they used the construction: verb stem+に行く. So they added a verb clarifying what action it was that you went to do.

Using たり (or だり in the case of a む / ぶ / ぐ-ending verbs) is a way of listing verbs in an incomplete list, which you then still have to tie together with the verb する.

The し comes from the に行く grammar point, which means you went somewhere for the purpose of doing a thing. You have to use a stem form of the verb before the に, and し is the stem for する

泳ぎに行く means to go swimming
泳いだり…しに行く means to go swimming and other things not mentioned

EDIT: The reason they used に行く, by the way, is because you can’t go to a noun that isn’t a place. But you can go to do an action that is a noun, and that’s what に行く does.

I don’t see that second sentence as grammatically correct. I would expect …泳いだりパドルボードをしたりしました。You agree?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.