Very basic translation help!

I’m feeling mildly chuffed as I’ve just finished reading my first Japanese book. Ok, it was only a grade zero reader… but we all have to start somewhere :grinning: It was about flowers and their colours, and so I’ve been reading up on all sorts of interesting things about the cultural significance of flowers in Japan - very interesting. 花と色 – にほんごたどく

I realise this is absurdly basic, but I was wondering if you could help me with this sentence:
緑 の葉ときれいな水。
I can see it seems to mean leaves that are green, and (と) beautiful water (it accompanies a photo). But does it mean both the water and the green leaves are beautiful? Or are they different parts of the sentence and only the water is beautiful?
thank you

2 Likes

I will break the phrase down:

緑の葉: green leaves
と: and
きれいな水。: clean water

Put them together, could you get the meaning now? :durtle_cat:
Also, congrats on finishing your first book. Every great journey begins with a footstep. :confetti_ball:
Keep going!

Or are they different parts of the sentence and only the water is beautiful?

this.

1 Like

I feel like if it wanted leaves and water to be beautiful, it would’ve put “きれい” at the start of the sentence, like きれいな緑の葉と水。

Excellent. Thank you to you both. What a marvellous place this is, where you get a virtually instant (and politely helpful) answer.

The more sentences I read, the clearer everything will become!
thank you

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.