Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club Here!
View this book on Natively!
Welcome to the Cells at Work!! Book Club!
Strep throat! Hay fever! Influenza! The world is a dangerous place for a red blood cell just trying to get her deliveries finished. Fortunately, she’s not alone… she’s got a whole human body’s worth of cells ready to help out! The mysterious white blood cell, the buff and brash killer T cell, the nerdy neuron, even the cute little platelets – everyone’s got to come together if they want to keep you healthy!
View the nomination post here!
Where to purchase
Digital: BookWalker, Amazon
Physical: Amazon, CD Japan (only in bundle)
|Week||Start Date||Chapter||Page Numbers||Page Count|
|Week 1||26 Nov||Ch 1 part 1||0 - 12||13|
|Week 2||3 Dec||Ch 1 part 2||13 - 27||15|
|Week 3||10 Dec||Ch 1 part 3||28 - 42||14|
|Week 4||17 Dec||Ch 1 part 4||43 - 59||17|
|Week 5||24 Dec||Ch 2 part 1||60 - 73||14|
|Week 6||31 Dec||Ch 2 part 2||74 - 87||14|
|Week 7||7 Jan||Ch 2 part 3||88 - 101||14|
|Week 8||14 Jan||Ch 3 part 1||102 - 118||17|
|Week 9||21 Jan||Ch 3 part 2||119 - 135||17|
|Week 10||28 Jan||Ch 4 part 1||136 - 154||19|
|Week 11||4 Feb||Ch 4 part 2||155 - 173||19|
Vocabulary and Grammar
Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.
- ““Blood”” (more like bacteria goo)
If someone wants to organize live reading sessions, tell me about it
Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.
- Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
- Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
- Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags
Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).
Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:
This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.
The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.
This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.
When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.
Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!
Page numbers are few and far between, so I’ll be using images mainly to show the ending pages. Both the Kindle and the BookWalker versions seem to have their page numbers as 2 + the original page number (so 44 instead of 42)
- Yes, but I might start late