Cells at Work! 🦠 | Week 2

Week 2 03 December 2022
End page 27
Pages 15
Previous week Week 1
Next week Week 3
Home Thread Cells at Work!

Vocabulary and Grammar

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Page numbers

The schedule is based on the page numbers that sometimes appear on the bottom of the pages. Both the Kindle and the BookWalker versions seem to be 2 off (44 instead of 42)

Last page of the week

Live Readings

Live readings are currently not organized. If you are interested in organizing one, tell me and I’ll update the post.

Discussion Questions

Questions
  1. What sentence/passage gave you the most difficulty? Feel free to request some help, or if you figured it out on your own break it down for the rest of us!
  2. What was your favorite new vocab word from this week’s reading?
  3. Was there any passage that you found particularly intriguing? Did it resonate with you (either positively or negatively)? Was it surprising? Offer any insight or new perspective? Was it just beautifully written?

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!i

3 Likes

p. 13:
Can someone help me reading this? I can read only parts of it and guess some others …

2 Likes

しょっちゅう 工事 こうじしてるからかんなんやかりづれぇんだよなー
この地図ちず
I believe

4 Likes

Normally would be,

しょっちゅう工事しているから、分からないや

分かりづらいんだよな〜 この地図

2 Likes

I’ve filled in the vocab list for this week to the best of my ability, but geez, this is a tough book!

8 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’m somewhat busy this week, but once I get to it, I’ll look through the words and see if everything is as it should.

3 Likes

Any time! Helping out with vocab lists is an important part of the club! :slight_smile:

I definitely duplicated some words which were in the Week 1 sheet - but I figured if I had already forgotten them since last week, some other people will have too :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t think there’s a big problem with that. The only thing we don’t want really is having the same word multiple times (especially with different, confounding meanings) in one table, unless there’s a good reason.

3 Likes

Isn’t it? The language is a challenge but then adding on the tiny little boxes that explain things, it’s definitely a challenge :mag: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s the type of box I used to ignore even in my mother-tongue. I’ve mostly grown past it but now that it pops up in Japanese, I have a tendency to skip them ! :see_no_evil: Bad habits die hard !
Maybe I should try and translate them here in order to hold myself accountable.

6 Likes

For me the boxes are easier to read than the background noises and thoughts written in script. The provided furigana makes it easy to look up the vocabulary (but they are sometimes difficult to read due to the small print).

3 Likes

Week 2, Boxes Transcript (part 1)

Box page 14 : マクロファッジ / Macrophage

白血球の一種。

A type of white blood Cell

細菌などの異物を捕らえて殺し、抗原や免疫情報を見つけ出す。

They capture and kill foreign substances such as bacteria, they spot antigen and immunity information.

しんだ細胞や細菌などを片付ける掃除屋さんでもある

They are also the janitors that tidy up such things as dead cells, bacteria…

Box Page 14 : リンパ管 / Lymph duct

様々な組織の間に存在する体液(組織間液)を回収する排水管

Drainage pipes collecting body fluids existing between various tissue (intertissue fluid)

Box page 17 : 莢膜 / Capsule

一部の細菌が持つ細胞壁の外側にある。

Bacterias possess an outer cell wall

白血球などの攻撃から細菌本体守る

It protect the main part of the bacteria from assault of white blood cells and such.

Box page 18 : 肺炎球菌 / Pneumococcus

肺炎などを引き起こす呼吸器病原性菌。

Respiratory pathogenic bacteria that induce pneumonia and such

莢膜を持つ特性の強い菌

A bacteria with strong capsule characteristics

Box page 19 : 肺炎球菌 菌血症 / Pneumococcal Bacteraemia

肺炎球菌が、なにのさっかけで血液の中に入り込み、突然高熱が出る病気。

A disease in which the pneumococcus starts by entering the blood and causing a sudden high fever

菌血症がさらに進むと細菌性髄膜炎という恐ろしい病気を引き起こすこともある。

If the bacteremia progresses even more, if can cause the dreaded disease called bacterial meningitis

Box page 20 : レセプター / Receptor

細菌などを察知するレーダー的なもの

Radar-like thing that is sensing bacteria and such

Box page 22 : 樹状細胞 / Dendritic Cell

体内に侵入してきた細菌や、ウイルス感染細胞などの断片を抗原として提示し、他の免疫系の細胞に伝える役割を持つ。

They hold the role of transmitting to other immune system cells fragment of antigen from the bacterias and virus-infected cells that invaded the body.

その他の通り周囲に突起を伸ばしている

Other than that, they extend their protuberance according to their surroundings

Box page 23 : 血小板 / Platelet

血管が損傷したときに集合してその傷口をふさぐ血液成分の一種

A type of blood component that gather when a blood vessel is damaged and closes the wound.

一般的な細胞に比べて小さい

Smaller in comparison to typical cells

Box page 24 : 血餅 / Blood clot

血液が固まってできるもちじょうの塊。

A mochi like mass, that is able to harden the blood.

止血や損傷部の回復に役に立つ

Helpfull for such thing as hemostasis and recovery of injured areas

7 Likes

I don’t think these are that bad. They are just filled to the brim with kanji (probably a result of scientific terms), the language of them is quite simplistic

3 Likes

Your wonderful transcriptions are saving me tons of time (and eyestrain).

Thank you!

:bowing_man:

2 Likes

Biology is hard! Lotsa vocab I don’t even know in english. I’m splitting up chapters in smaller chunks to make it palatable just like the bookclub does.

The boxes are also meant to explain the various concepts and are very helpful if you can read them.

The stories themselves are relatively easy to follow along at least. Furigana attached here is also helpful. So it’s mostly getting familiar with the terms being used.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m hoping that once the vocabulary starts becoming more familiar it will be easier to read.
Because grammar wise, its not too tough as long as you are used to some casual/slangy speech - but stopping every few words to look up the meanings of unfamiliar vocab (and then sometimes googling what they mean because I don’t know the word in English either :sweat_smile:) disrupts the flow of me reading and makes it a bit harder to follow.

I’ve started looking up all of the kanji I need in a sentence before trying to read it, adding all of them to the vocab list, and THEN attempting to read and understand the sentence.
That worked a bit better, but still meant that I was reading each sentence several minutes apart so I had to keep rereading sections to properly understand.

But the first chapter of a new series often feels tough, so I’m not going to let myself get discouraged by finding it difficult. There have been a lot of books where I’ve found the start difficult but then managed to get into it after a few chapters as I get used to the vocab and the way the characters speak. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh this is 100% what I was referring to. Hence the :mag: emoji (which I have seriously debated buying lol)

2 Likes

I like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaome-Rectangular-Magnifying-Magnifier-Newspapers/dp/B07PPRBLQV

3 Likes

Week 3 thread is also up:

4 Likes

Im finding it a bit of a slog. Watching the anime on animelon helps though. Some of the biggest words - which presumably are the important bits I find difficult eg フギャ. I cant find in the vocab list or jisshou. Any offers?

2 Likes