Can you choose what to do first on lessons?

Can we choose whether we want to do radicals, kanji, or vocabulary first (when we have lessons piled up)?

I ask because I saw a post from last year and another just recently saying that they like to do radicals and kanji lessons at 7am and then vocabulary at night. But I don’t see an option to choose what to do first. How does this work?

Edit: is this what they mean?

I think this means those are the 5 vocabulary words I will see in my first batch of lessons. If so, what is the best approach? I read from someone that it is best to do lessons only before noon. Do you guys recommend radicals and kanji before noon and vocabulary late evening? Or should I only do lessons before noon?

People use this script

3 Likes

I like wanikani system the way it’s set up. I don’t know if I would want to change it. Do you recommend it? Did it work better for you?

I used it, but I use a lot of scripts. It gives your more control of your studies yui

1 Like

I use the lesson filter, it like it better than the reorder one. You can choose how many of each kind you do, I use it to combine some radicals/kanji with vocab (ie 5 kanji and 5 vocab)

4 Likes

So there is an option in the script that automatically picks radicals and kanji that are used for a given vocabulary word? But doesn’t WK already do that? It only gives you vocabulary after you have learned the radical and kanji. I don’t get it…

Or do you mean to say that it is the number of each that you customize? For example, 10 kanji, 5 vocabulary words for each batch of lessons

Yes, the latter. Lesson Filter allows you to choose how many of the radical, kanji and vocab lessons you want to do, but it can only pick from the lessons that you have available now.

1 Like

By the way, I always do lessons at 6 pm, so the first review is at 22 pm before going to bed and the next review is at the morning when I wake up. I usually do 10 lessons/day, 15 if most are radicals.

1 Like

Good idea! Thanks for the tip.

I personally recommend using WaniKani the way it is, but now you know there are some options (userscripts) if you want to change some things.

1 Like

My schedule begins at, roughly, 10 am (new lessons, about 20/day), so that the future reviews will be at about 10 pm.

I strongly recommend having a schedule. You just have to choose your favorite times.

2 Likes

Absolutely don’t hesitate to use scripts. A few of us have been around for years and I think most of us use scripts one way or another. Some scripts give you more information, some give you more control, some improve the UI, some are Quality of Life improvements, and all are created by people who came here to learn Kanji, so none of them are deliberately designed to cheat the system though some can help you do that if used irresponsibly (I’m looking at you Ignore Answer script :eyes:).

Edit: fixed typo.

2 Likes

I agree, some scripts are great, I just don’t recommend the ones that change the main structure, like the order of the items, because it’s prone to abuse.

3 Likes

To apply a specific schedule I recommend to have a look into the different SRS stages and in how WK level up works in general. The knowledge base is a good starting point.

• It tells you that you need a certain amount of kanji to be in “guru” state to level up to the next level.
  • It also tells you the time intervals for each SRS stage. In the first two levels you have a little boost but beginning with level three the apprentice stages have intervals of 4h / 8h / 23h and 47h (…but you better double check as I have the tendency to mix them up :sweat_smile: )
  • Last but not least you need to know how many items you’ll have to learn during the given level and when (how) you’ll unlock them. This requires a little bit (… or a little bit more) of micro management depending on what speed you are aiming for. We do have a thread to help, in case you like.

By default WK serves you new lessons in the order by level and then by subject. This means, in case you have leftover items from a previous level those items will be served first. For items on the same level the ordering is radicals > then kanji > then vocabulary. Therefore, in case you have open radicals, they will be served before kanji. In case you have open kanji lessons they will be served before vocab lessons.

You can change the behavior in the settings of the app (settings > app):

It will not allow you to specifically prioritize any particular items. In case you want to do that you’ll need scripts. But in respect to your questions this is not necessarily what you are looking for anyway, if I understood correctly.

With all this amount of information, what to do to follow the advice with the “7am in them morning”-sessions? In case you like to go full speed you have a little bit less than seven days per level. Each level^ is divided into two batches of kanji. So the post you are referring to basically seems to suggest to do (radical +) kanji in the morning and then take your time with the already unlocked vocab items… but finish them before the second batch of kanji will be unlocked (because your radical are in guru state).

The summary I like most so far was written in a post by @seanblue senpai. It was a really cool breakdown relative to the total amount of items per level. But I can’t remember the thread it was in… Maybe they do and feel like sharing :slight_smile:

And I should clarify that I’m not making any statement on whether or not durtles should go full speed or not.

This summary tells you what kind of items you just have learned. It is the “lessons summary”. There also is similar kind of summary after each review session called “review summary” (or something similar).

^ Technically not each level as in the later levels there are so called “fast levels” that allow you to level up with the first batch of kanji already. But let’s keep it simple.

3 Likes

Perhaps this one?

Might I recommend bookmarking it for next time? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, that is the one :blush: Thanks for sharing (again).

1 Like

i use the lesson filter script so i can do radicals immediately after leveling up.

there is nothing wrong with using scripts to improve one’s WK experience. however, lesson re-ordering does have a risk: you can level up without doing the vocab of previous levels. so if you use scripts to re-order your lessons, you have to make sure that you do all your lessons ^^

2 Likes

On the app (jakeipuu) I can choose which ones I want to do first. Since I aim for a steady supply off lessons every day, I like that I can choose radicals/kanji first. By the time I get those all to guru, I’ll have done my previous vocab. Once I guru a kanji, new vocab becomes available.
I try to do 10 lessons a day, but it might be more (jakeipuu also lets you choose the vocab you would like to learn, if need be), or less (if I don’t have the mental space)

There are other people who use scripts to re-order their lessons who run into trouble with it. They do all the radicals and kanji available to them, putting aside much of the vocabulary, then when they level up they have more radicals and kanji to do while the previous level’s vocab is still unfinished. Go through a few levels like that and you’ll end up with a large vocabulary pile that you’ll never get around to.

Not only is bad in itself, to have words that you’re not learning, but it negatively impacts the kanji you’re actively trying to learn because you’re not reinforcing your understanding of them by putting them into meaningful practice. I really feel that it’s best not to do anything to the order, it’s very easy to cause problems with your studies.

2 Likes