But why? (Katakana ruins whole answer)

I was typing the reading of 朝ごはん, then, Caps Lock happened. It turned my ん into an ン.
And so, I got it wrong.

3 Likes

How does caps lock “happen”?

Writing something in katakana when it shouldn’t be is a mistake, yes.

7 Likes

That is funky. I hadn’t even realized that WK’s ime does that. iirc, we don’t need to type katakana for any answer. @Mods Should it be counted as a bug? I’m not sure if/how it can be disabled.

You hit the caps lock button instead of the a button? I’m not sure what kind of keyboard you use.

One where the caps lock key is far to the left and bigger than the other keys.

I can see it “happening” on mobile, though.

The default for most mobile keyboards is capitalizing the first letter of each sentence by default and it considers wanikani input as a new sentence, so at least in my experience this happens a lot and is quite annoying to deal with.

8 Likes

Ah, that makes sense.

I’ve never used WaniKani on my phone, I used an app for that for a bit, but mainly desktop.

I would agree that is annoying, but this seems to be just user error, which is annoying too, since it’s the last letter.

It’s like saying, I misclicked and typed “ji” instead of “jo”, so I got it wrong.

That’s why people who have that happen to them usually install a script that lets them ignore typos, because at some point you have to say it’s on you.

This thing with katakana and auto capitalization seems to have been brought up several times over the years, maybe this time it’ll be different.

1 Like

In case of typos, you can use the Wanikani Double-Check script to re-type the answer or to mark the answer as correct.

Fair warning that the script should be used responsibly and only for actual typos, or it can harm your studying process.

2 Likes

If user scripts were available on iOS i would be overusing them because of how often I typo on readings.

These keyboards are too small.

I did find a really slow and inconvenient workaround, where if you have it added as a homepage shortcut, clearing the “app” resets your current review session (excluding completed reviews, being both meaning and reading done), and you can then go back and fix your typo. And also redo every single review you didn’t complete too. I do not recommend this method.

ooooof yeah that sounds horrible.
To be honest I had the same issue while doing reviews on my phone, which is why I stopped and these days wait until I have access to a computer.

1 Like

I would do that except I haven’t had access to a computer for… I think one and a half weeks, and still have about another week left before I do.

I am installing that user script first thing because my thoughts go “(correct reading)” while my fingers go “(unintelligible mess)”.

1 Like

Wanikani put autocapitalize=“none” on the input element but my phone keyboard does not respect it, when the first letter of a word is just a vowel if I an not paying attention it will go in like オかあさん and I will be marked wrong. Very frustrating! I use Swiftkey.

On mobile you can use apps. Flaming Durtles is the android one, but I forgot the name of the ios one. Either way, they give you an undo

3 Likes

I don’t think this is a bug per se, since the typo correction system is supposed to recognize katakana characters as incorrect (outside of the ones that are originally in katakana). However, I’ll bring this up with the team and see if we’d like to introduce more flexibility when it comes to entering katakana characters. I can see how auto-capitalization on mobile devices would be frustrating to have to change each time you write a reading answer. There is an ongoing ticket related to MS Swift auto-capitalizing the first letter on reviews that we’ve been looking into.

16 Likes

Huh, honestly I’ve never had something like this happen, not even on mobile. I don’t know how much Japanese keyboards vary between mobile devices, but on my iPhone the only way I’ve found to input Katakana is to type in the corresponding Hiragana character and choose the Katakana character from the suggestion bar above the keyboard. Seems like something that would be very difficult to do by accident. My kana keyboard doesn’t even have any sort of Shift or Caps Lock key, as far as I can tell. And my phone doesn’t auto-capitalize any input for my third party app, either.

1 Like

You don’t have to use the Japanese keyboard on Wanikani, it converts your romaji to hiragana directly. You’re maybe even supposed not to, considering you could see the kanji suggestions.

9 Likes

Whoops, I meant that I do use the ローマ字 keyboard for my mobile app, but even then I have yet to ever accidentally input katakana. Even if I use Shift or Caps Lock on it, it still converts to hiragana by default.

Apparently, at least with my keyboard, it does capitalize the first letter, but since it changes back to lowercase for the second one, it still shows up as hiragana. But if it’s one letter, like a vocal or n, it does show them in katakana. Also if you have the actual caps lock on instead of just shift, it also shows every syllable as katakana, but resets after one.

This is the samsung default keyboard.

What I think happened to OP is that they pressed Caps after “ha”, since on qwerty CapsLock is next to a.
I don’t need the additional leniency of WK typo forgiveness myself at this point, as I’ve installed WK double-check, since it was getting a bit too annoying to have stuff go back to guru because of an actual typo.

That being said, it could check if it’s corresponding katakana character, but there actually are words like テーブルの上, so it would have to work both ways.

1 Like

I totally get your frustration. I use the add on that lets you fix wrong answers (which I only use for true typos) and I wouldn’t have it any other way