But why? (Katakana ruins whole answer)

A temporary solution – install an appropriate keyboard for Android. Also, at least for me, auto-capitalization (and any kind of auto-corrections) can be turned off. Keyboard can be switched in Settings, maybe temporarily just for WaniKani (or Kitsun, if it has the same bug.)

I am using Google keyboard right now, but I am not really using WaniKani app.

I don’t know about iOS.

Happened to me just yesterday and I was very surprised because I didn’t know this could happen. Incredibly frustrating :melting_face: Though my typing was extraordinarily clumsy, so I blame myself

By the way, is there any point in even having the ability to input katakana? Why not just change it to always input hiragana even with capslock?

4 Likes

Exactly what happened.

2 Likes

Tsurukame on IOS has the feature as well. I’d say across both apps, many of the more popular script functionality has been replicated so they’re way better than the default web view experience.

In fact, I’m not sure if there’s even a script for offline reviews.

3 Likes

While it’s not just because of accidentally inputting katakana, the risk of getting penalized just for a simple typo is why I think having the script for WK that allows for retrying answers is a good safety net so that you don’t get sent back an SRS level just because you accidentally typed ン when you genuinely meant to type ん. And if you can help it, use a mobile app that has this kind of feature.

Tsurukame thankfully comes with the ability to just say “my answer was correct” for cases where you had the right answer in your head but fat-fingered the keyboard or perhaps gave a meaning answer that was close enough but just wasn’t in the app’s list of accepted answers.

The Caps lock key is right next to the A key, and can be fat-fingered.

Older keyboards actually had a chunk of the Caps lock cut off to prevent exactly this.

6 Likes

I dislike the idea of removing the ability to use katakana when some of the vocabulary words actually use katakana in them. I understand that it’ll accept hiragana in all situations, but it doesn’t make the answer always “correct”.

I honestly had no idea that I could use the caps lock key to input katakana, or I would have been gladly doing that already with that sparse vocabulary words.

Perhaps the solution would be to toggle it on and off at the discretion of the user?

1 Like

I’m a developer myself, there’s a lot of threads on stack overflow about this. This only way to have it work for all users seems to be to write an method like ToLower() for the first character, in this case it would need to be a ToHiragana. Harder but not impossible. Even words that use katakana like Napoleon the Third are correct in both katakana and hiragana so there’s no reason to not just convert all characters to hiragana on the back end before checking them. Having never seen their back end, it seems easy to me at least!

I would think just making ん, consonant and vowel extenders, and digraph vowels be acceptable in either kana would solve a lot of input-related headaches. It’s not like anyone will be internalizing the incorrect kana input for them. Or even just making katakana input an acceptable alternative for everything, but gives a caveat message. “We marked this as correct (but it used katakana where hiragana was expected).”

1 Like

I mean if you wrote something in Katakana when its supposed to be hiragana or a kanji it would be wrong irl. So… the best advice I can give is: get good.

I think WK works far better as a tool that tests understanding and recall than it does harshly grading typographical and autocorrect errors. That seems counter-productive to learning.

2 Likes

I’m not being serious. I think there could be a way to tier out what mistakes are acceptable in the same way typing in English does on the sight. But for now that feature doesn’t really exist.

1 Like

I didn’t think you were, but I had to be sure :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Welcome back to WK! (although I seem to be a month late?) Nice icon

Thanks! I’m trying to diligently stick with it this time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words of a fellow JoJo fan.
On another note, I wish I could remember which chapter it is from. :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

がんばってください!

Hmm, all I can guess is not an early chapter/appearance :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Are there such situations where using katakana instead of hiragana would be actually wrong? It might look weird, but reading is reading :wink: After all, hiragana and kanji words get written with katakana all the time in media for various “artistic” reasons, and that doesn’t make them suddenly wrong.

The only case I can think about is when one would write katakana loanword using hiragana - but WK already accepts that :wink:

I mean if you are writing it like こㇾ then yes it is wrong.

So do many ramen stores that have らーめん written on the red balloons out front. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like