First letter of answers typing in katakana?

Hi, I just started using the website since the unofficial WK app isn’t supported anymore (:cry:) and the first character of the Japanese answers is inputting as katakana. So my answer for 思う was inputted as オもう and it was marked as incorrect. I can fix this by changing my keyboard input to japanese but that’s a pain to do between every review. Any advice?

よろしくお願いします!

1 Like

You probably have caps lock on when typing the beginning, when it’s on it converts your typing to katakana.

3 Likes

Well in that case I need to hit lower case before every answer since my keyboard thinks I’m starting a new line. Which is just as bad.

Can you temporarily change your keyboard settings to not start every line with a capital? Swiftkey on my phone has that in settings as “Auto capitalize.” Then you can switch it back on after your WK review.

2 Likes

There are other apps you could use too.

2 Likes

Such as what?

On iOS there’s Tsurukame and on android there’s Flaming Durtles.

7 Likes

I really hope no one uses caps lock to capitalize their sentences :grimacing:.

3 Likes

Like, @ShotgunLagoon mentioned, both Flaming Durtles and Tsurukame are the leading unofficial apps right now with really good support and feature parity for the most part.

1 Like

Type a random first kana. After you type the whole word, go back and delete the first (wrong) one?

1 Like

Only the first character will be capitalised if you (or the computer) begins the word with an upper case letter (the Shift key only turns the character it’s used for into katakana, which gives you the オもう rather than おもう). Caps lock, on the other hand, will make the whole answer into katakana (オモウ) since it’s the equivalent of holding down the shift key the whole time you type.
On the Japanese keyboard this doesn’t happen because it either becomes letters (which gives an error on the website), or the auto-capitalise doesn’t apply.
I’m not sure if that makes sense but I hope it helped in some way.
Also, do you mind if I move this to the requesting help category?

1 Like

WaniKani is already set up to tell keyboards to use lowercase to avoid this very issue. Unfortunately, some mobile keyboards ignore this and try to start with a capital letter anyway.

5 Likes

On Android there are a couple

Flaming Durtles
Leap For Wanikani
Jakeipuu

2 Likes

SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED TO HIT CAPS LOCK AND LET HER RIP.

5 Likes

Jakeipuu apparently also supports iOS…

Pretty sure OP is on Android, though

1 Like

i use gboard, no issues.

Uh… yeah no one, not me for sure… old habits die hard :joy:

2 Likes

I was talking only about the first letter, so if that’s the case, I wonder where you got that habit instead of just holding shift :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

I’m not really sure how I ended up doing it, I think I started typing that way when I was a kid and now I’m kind of just stuck with it. I tried switching to using shift but I just can’t type that way for some reason.

1 Like