魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) Discussion Thread: Chapter 11 [Final Chapter!]

Ah gotcha. So more speedliking than speedreading haha. Glad you finished too!

I think the clocktower chapter was also my favorite. I was really fun and different from other chapters.

You’re very welcome!
Are you going to join us reading the next book (manga)?

I’m going to skip manga, but I’d like to join you reading the next book.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Repeat Club Discussion (Week 20) Starts Here!

Chapter 11 Part 1

V1: Pages 241 - 253
V2: Pages 219 - 230
BookWalker: ?

Last line:
キキは、こうして飛びながら、もやもやとしていた気持が、風といっしょにすこしうしろに遠ざかっていくのを感じていました。

14 November 2020

Please briefly check whether questions have already been answered above before posting them, but otherwise don’t hesitate.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book
  • I’m a superhero who’s read it before but is here for chatting :books:

0 voters

3 Likes

Final chapter woo! It was a bit of a bumpy road for me to get here, but I’m so glad I stuck with it. Reading this book has been a great trial-by-fire for my Japanese learning. Thank you to the people that maintained the vocab sheet and props to everyone who’s stuck around to the end!

9 Likes

Hey every body, I’m like half way through chapter 9, aka way behind. I got busy “starting therapy” because apparently that’s going to help my depression more than “studying japanese more” :grin:

Then the U.S. Election happened and sucked all energy from me :exploding_head: :partying_face:

But that’s all to say I’m cracking open my book to catch up with Kiki and hopefully the rest of you before y’all finish. Hoping everybody’s been well the last few weeks, Covid getting worse in most place so a perfect time to study. :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Here I am, back on Tuesday, as has suddenly become tradition. With two out of thirteen pages read, which is a little worrying. Well, I’ve taken the entire next week off from work, so I might go ahead and take it slow this week and pick up the pace next week.

4 Likes

Repeat Club Discussion (Week 21) Starts Here!

Chapter 11 Part 2

V1: Pages 253 - 265
V2: Pages 231 - 241
BookWalker: ?

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 11 this week AKA THE END OF THE HECKIN BOOK!

21 November 2020

Please briefly check whether questions have already been answered above before posting them, but otherwise don’t hesitate.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book
  • I’m a superhero who’s read it before but is here for chatting :books:

0 voters

5 Likes

I know it’s last week’s reading, but I’m finding the third page of the chapter very slow going.

I caught up with the book during the break-week, then stopped reading again :sweat_smile:
Seeing that the end was near motivated me to catch up and I finally finished the book today :partying_face:

11 Likes

Chapter 11 has been a really cute read and has honestly gone by fairly quickly. Just finished catching up and I absolutely love Kiki’s goodbyes. It’s really nice to see how much far she’s come and settled in as part of the town; can’t wait to dig into the next book!

7 Likes

Last chapter comments:

I’m worried that Kiki grew up to be a workaholic :wink: She wasn’t even able to spend her whole holiday (already shortened) at home and returned before due date!
I understand that idea of a witch living on her own is romantic, but it’s actually unhealthy that she’s so irreplaceable :wink:

7 Likes

やった :tada: :confetti_ball: :balloon:
Finished the book!

9 Likes

My comment: I’m afraid that the customers were more an excuse to go back when she was mainly thinking about とんぼさん :wink:

7 Likes

I just plowed through the remaining half of the chapter and finished the book, yay!! :tada:

I was trying to judge how I felt the difficulty was for me throughout the book, but because we’ve been reading it over such a long span of time it’s not really feasible. I definitely had more troubles at the beginning, that’s fur sure. Right now it feels like it didn’t get any easier after like half of the book, as if it capped out at a certain level, which I guess would be my ability. However, while I think that’s true, I can’t even really remember what happened in the middle of the book anymore or how much more effort it took me to read, thus I assume this feeling is just true for the most recent weeks which are still somewhat present in my memory. I definitely did go faster through the pages in the last fourth or third of the book compared to the middle.

The biggest issues I had were with the longer sentences and all the descriptions of things and actions and what was modifying them, because I had to look them up a lot. Seeing them once a week or every other week is definitely not enough to memorize them.
The book makes me want to read more novels to get more exposure to the types of sentences and the words that don’t really show up in manga. I should finally start Convenience Store Woman like I’m planning to for 2 weeks now. :laughing:

Oh, of course the lack of kanji can also be a major headache.

I really enjoyed the book, though. One or two chapters somewhere around the middle or so (the beach one for example) weren’t that great, but it definitely got better again.
I watched the Ghibli movie (with JP subs) after I finished the book to round off the experience. The last time I watched it was so many years ago, it almost felt like I had never watched it before. Kiki losing the ability to talk with Jiji was kinda sad. I didn’t know that anymore :frowning:

Oops, the post is way longer than I thought it would be. I hope it’s comprehensibe… my English always lacks when I write bigger posts. <.<

10 Likes

Hey, I’m not done yet but I started on the final chapter yesterday and will finish this week I would really like to think!

5 Likes

Finally did it! It feels incredible to have finished my first book in Japanese! My reading has improved tremendously throughout the process. At the start I was struggling just to keep up, but by the end I was sometimes able to read pages at a time without too much effort and even juggle a few more book clubs on top of this. That’s not to say there weren’t challenging sections even at the end, though. The beginning of last week’s reading actually had me stumped for a bit, as did the first conversation with the musicians in the previous chapter.

For this book, I pre-learned all of the vocabulary keeping a few chapters ahead of the reading. This made the process of actually reading smoother and more enjoyable, and it drastically increased my vocabulary. I don’t think I’ll use this method for the next book I read, though, because I’d like to re-shift my SRS focus back to WaniKani and BunPro so I can finally be done with them in a timely manner. My vocabulary has also improved enough that the frequency with which I have to look up words is no longer such an impediment to actually enjoying the book.

I watched the Studio Ghibli film to celebrate, and it’s beautiful. It probably has one of the best (if not the best) scores of any Studio Ghibli movie, which is saying a lot because Joe Hisaishi’s music is always outstanding. It was certainly a lot different from the book, and perhaps better in some ways. The movie seemed to have a more melancholy feeling to it, which I think gave it more depth as a coming of age story. Part of that might just be my lack of understanding of some of the nuance in the reading.

I enjoyed the book quite a bit, and it will probably always hold some nostalgic value being the first book I’ve ever finished in a language other than English. Congratulations to everybody who has made it this far! It is definitely an achievement. The fact that only 20 or so people are here out of the few hundred who initially embarked speaks to that. And thanks to everyone who has been active on the forums (I certainly wish I had been more so). It was always fun to read people’s impressions, and some of the questions asked definitely helped me out. Seeing others continuing along with me always helped me keep going as well. ご苦労様!

15 Likes

I just picked up コンビニ人間 as my next book as well! The intermediate book club went through it last year and I was planning on following along with their old schedule/discussions. I’ve actually come across a few people now who are planning on starting soon/just started. Maybe another repeat club could be in order?

Edit: I just created an interest poll here!

10 Likes