鬼滅の刃ーDemon Slayer Book Club

@Catherine670 if you wanna do a schedule now i’m ready

1 Like

Yup! We can maybe go through a chapter per week or something…

For KyokaJiro

@KyokaJiro Could I please get some help, I literally have no idea how you do this…

2 Likes

yeah we do need help, but i think that’s manageable

says the person who got through all of jjk volume one in a week

2 Likes

The first chapter is quite long compared to the other ones, although it’s a bit easier in overall difficulty. We could do the first chapter in 2 parts regardless to give people a bit of an easier start and to get used to the casual grammar used if they’re not too familiar with it.

5 Likes

Alright, if we were to start next week, this might be a schedule that we could follow. Just as @BIsTheAnswer suggested, it would be one week per chapter with chapter one being split into two parts. In the end, it would be 3 to 4 pages per day or around 20 to 30 pages a week

• Week 1, June 28th to July 4th: Chapter 1 part 1 - page 5 to 32 (28 pages)
  • Week 2, July 5th to July 11th: Chapter 1 part 2 - page 33 to 59 (27 pages)
  • Week 3, July 12th to July 18th: Chapter 2 - page 61 to 85 (25 pages)
  • Week 4, July 19th to July 25th: Chapter 3 - page 87 to 109 (23 pages)
  • Week 5, July 26th to August 1st: Chapter 4 - page 111 to 129 (19 pages)
  • Week 6, August 2nd to August 8th: Chapter 5 - page 131 to 149 (19 pages)
  • Week 7, August 9th to August 15th: Chapter 6 - page 151 to 169 (19 pages)
  • Week 8, August 16th to August August 22nd: Chapter 7 - page 171 to 191 (21 pages)

Page 32 where we would split chapter 1 has 鬼滅の刃1 in the upper left corner and is a good place to break the chapter into two parts. There’s always a bonus page between chapters which I didn’t count in the schedule overview

7 Likes

that looks like it could work

2 Likes

I think @latepotato has the right idea. You can follow that pattern.

A simple rule of thumb can be - do not have more than 3 or 4 pages of reading per day. Your speed and comprehension gets better once you are accustomed to the specific vocabulary related to the manga - but you also need to take into account IRL circumstances. (Holidays, work, exams etc.). So it is better to have lower load with flexible times.

You can start an excel sheet to keep track of names, complicated vocabulary etc.

You can take a look at the AkaYona thread for reference. And you can make any tweaks to that model if you prefer.

Let me know if you need anything else Catherine san.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for your reply! :blush:

Yeah, my exams are starting from 26th…

Sounds like a good idea :slight_smile:

Sure, I’ll let you know! :high_touch:

2 Likes

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Alright.
Since there hasn’t been any objection, I guess we’re starting this Monday, right?

Good luck on your exams @Catherine670 :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Is this thread just going to be used or new threads per chapter? There’s perks and downsides to both - new threads each chapter makes it easier to find conversation on a particular chapter (especially for anyone coming along later) but keeping it all in the same thread is obviously easier. If there’s not too many folks reading then I expect just one thread is probably fine.

I have zero self control so while I intended to read along with the group I’m now about half way through the second volume…but I’m sure I probably missed or misunderstood some bits as just been reading for fun so might be fun to do a bit of a reread as the book club gets to it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i did the same so i’ll probably be rereading as well, and i think we should do only this thread

3 Likes

So, guys…I came across this sentence here くっついて回る but couldn’t understand what it means.
Can anyone help me with this one?

Hi! Do you know the page number it’s on? Hard to tell without context (for me at least!)

1 Like

Oh my bad!
It is on page 11, bottom right of the page.

1 Like

ace! Will have a look when I get in :slight_smile: (or someone else might answer by then haha)

1 Like

Cool! So I’ve taken a look - I think the section in question is - お父さんが死んじゃって寂しいからのよね。みんなお兄ちゃんにくっついて回るようになった

So, here I think くっついて回る is a combination of the て form of くっ付く (Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary)

and 回る - Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

taken together I read it as something like “following around”/“always clinging to”. If it’s helpful, here’s a bit of a discussion of 回る as a suffix: 〜てまわる, 〜て回る - Grammar - Kanshudo

In the context of the sentence I think I read the meaning of what she is saying in the panel as something like the rest of the family had really been relying on tanjiro since the father’s death

1 Like

Hey all! Fairly new learner and never done a book club before, so hopefully you don’t mind me tagging along! I’m not sure what the conventions are for blurring translated text, so forgive me and I welcome any corrections!

I did have a question from the Week 1 section:
On page 9 Tanjiro’s mom says 顔が真っ黒じゃないの, which is translated as “Your face is pitch-black” in the English print version. The ending じゃないの is throwing me off a bit. Obv she’s not saying “Your face isn’t pitch-black.” Would a more literal translation be something like “Your face is pitch-black, isn’t it?”

2 Likes

ahh sry i can’t help any of you, i’m not very good so basically i just get the gist of what i read and accept it (srsly i haven’t even started grammar)

It’s exactly as you’re thinking. I think this じゃないの is simply the same as じゃん, じゃないか or simply じゃない (although that one might be ambiguous sometimes), which can be used to create something like a tag question. It can be used either as a tag question, but you’ll also often see it used to simply express surprise, which is what I think is happening here. So she’s basically stating that she’s surprised by the fact that Tanjiro’s face is pitch-black. :grin:

4 Likes